Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

TELVM

Ryzen 2200G & 2400G (Raven Ridge APUs) don't support Windows 7

Posted (edited)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/83l53s/raven_ridge_windows_7_psa/

"... the new 2200G and 2400G do NOT support Windows 7 (win7 w7) in any way, shape, or form due to ACPI issues in the BIOS.

You can NOT bypass this by using a discrete GPU.

This will not change until and if BIOS updates supporting the required ACPI permissions for Win7 are made. I have tested this with ASRock and Gigabyte ITX motherboards. I have spoken briefly with ASRock support and they blame AMD despite it being a BIOS issue ..."

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/906112-ryzen-5-2400g-bsod-during-install-windows-7/

https://community.amd.com/thread/226099https://community.amd.com/thread/226099

Beware they may pull the same trick on the incoming Ryzen + (Pinnacle Ridge) CPUs ...

dpECgrC9_o.jpg

If that were the case, the first gen Ryzens (Summit Ridge) would be the last AMD processors supporting Windows 7.

29ijCpyc_o.jpg

Edited by TELVM

Could messing with a BIOS setting fix this?

14 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

But is it at least compatible with 8.1? That could be our last hope for a sane supported Windows OS.

seems so, saw some people tried to install win8 on 2200G and works.

• Like 1

Screw Windows 10 , its pure  trash, I'm happy with my Haswell and Windows 7 and i don't want to replace my OS , especially not with crapdows 10, big F#$% you to Microsoft

I have a system with the 2200G CPU on my bench. I just finished qualifying Windows 10 on it. I will try out Windows 7 and see what happens.

Update: Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 in EFI mode just locks up. The same in Legacy mode shows the 0x000000A5 stop error.

Please, do try Windows 7 Pro SP1 x86 in Legacy mode, too... if anything has a chance of working, that should be it.

Posted (edited)

I disagree, 64bit has more of a chance of working than 32bit. I have a very old 32bit image I can try.

Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 x64 + .net 3.5 boots in legacy. Don't have time to do EFI, or install the drivers.

Win7 32bit also bugcheck with 0xA5.

Edited by Tripredacus

"Meanwhile in the free world ..."

2bVad4nU_o.png

2 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

bugcheck with 0xA5

Well, it's ACPI not fully compliant, no doubt. Question is, XP allowed itself to be installed with no ACPI (bad for notebooks, indifferent for desktops) but I don't think Vista+ allow it anymore... BIOS modding seems to be the only way out... :wacko:

The drivers for the chipset and CPU graphics have Windows 7 folders in it, so I think that it must technically support it.

FWIW: the board I used is Asus PRIME A320M-CR2.0

I'm fearing the worst about the incoming 2nd gen Ryzen+ (Pinnacle Ridge) CPUs ... :angry:

For instance while ASUS included Windows 7 and 8 (32 & 64-bit) drivers for last year's X370 (1st gen Ryzen [Summit Ridge]):

cwyFReUU_t.jpg

It looks like it's gonna be only 64-bit abomination drivers for the incoming X470:

fHNqEU8V_t.jpg

We'll see in a few days ...

Ryzen Pinnacle Ridge does work with Windows 7. A couple of overclockers posted results.