How to use 4 Cores in Windows 2000

OP needs to install (or upgrade to) a higher edition of Win2000 such as Windows 2000 advanced server, which does support 4 cores (though up to 8 CPUs or 8 cores) unlike the Pro edition

blackwingcat is using Win2000 advanced server edition on one of his computers as I noticed on his web site

Only server editions of Win2k will handle at least a quad-core CPU; Win2k Pro is only good enough for 2 CPUs or 2-core CPUs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_2000

server = 4 CPUs w/ up to 4Gb of RAM

advanced server = 8 CPUs w/ up to 8Gb of RAM

datacenter server = 32 CPUs w/ up to 32Gb of RAM

Edited by erpdude8

• 2 months later...

I found the solution to create a .reg file with this code and execute it;):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
"RegisteredProcessors"=dword:00040960

Then your Windows 2000 will support up to 65,536 cores:w00t:. It works on Windows 2000 Pro, Server, Advanced Server, Datacenter Server. Also Windows XP and 2003.

Edited by GianLuca18092004
Translate error

List of tasks completed in Windows 2000:
[o] Complete, let's move on!
[x] Impossible or I do not know if you can
[?] Possible but I can not find the solution

[o] Use many cores
[?] Use PAE 32GB in W2K Pro
[x] Install Windows 2000 in Kaby Lake and later
[?] USB 3 support in Windows 2000
[x] Running games and only 64-bit programs in Windows 2000
[?] GPT support for Windows 2000

3 hours ago, GianLuca18092004 said:

Then your Windows 2000 will support up to 65,536 cores:w00t:. It works on Windows 2000 Pro, Server, Advanced Server, Datacenter Server. Also Windows XP and 2003.

Just tried that on the windows 2000 installation I have (with Blackwingcat's extended kernel) and it works!  I can see 4 cores of my amd processor in windows 2000!

On 10/27/2018 at 10:52 AM, GianLuca18092004 said:

[x] Running games and only 64-bit programs in Windows 2000

I'm not sure of its legitimacy, but I have read that there's a *super* rare version of Windows 2000 Datacenter Server which is 64-bit (I think it was called "Limited Edition" or something similar, and only ran on Itanium CPUs). Perhaps if someone can find a copy of that, it can shed some light on how it compares to 32-bit 2k, allowing for ways to mod the 32-bit 2k kernel/user land to incorporate some 64-bitness?

Another way might be to examine Windows 2k3, but that one's different enough that I don't expect it to be very relevant (else someone would've thought of it by now).

That being said, modding 2k to run most XP-era stuff (and maybe some Vista/7-specific stuff too) is still more than enough to ensure that it'll remain relevant for at least several more years, as most Windows software still supports 32-bit CPUs, to an extent. That, in my mind, renders 64-bitness somewhat pointless in most cases (the only case where it would be genuinely useful is to allow more addressable RAM, but we have PAE for that).

c

I have high temp problem with my Dell Latitude D630 with Windows 2000.

I have fully updated Windows 2000 SP4 with Blackwingcat's Extended Kernel. Registry fix not working. My Core 2 Duo T7100 still having 55-65C even while Idle with CPU 0-2% usage. Normal temp is 38-40C.

Edited by Andreasmir

On 11/1/2018 at 8:10 AM, Andreasmir said:

I have high temp problem with my Dell Latitude D630 with Windows 2000.

I have fully updated Windows 2000 SP4 with Blackwingcat's Extended Kernel. Registry fix not working. My Core 2 Duo T7100 still having 55-65C even while Idle with CPU 0-2% usage. Normal temp is 38-40C.

Windows 2000 does not support dynamic frequency scaling, so my guess would be that your CPU is simply running at 100% all the time, hence the high temperatures. You will need 3rd party software to control the frequencies.

Edited by tomasz86

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2018 at 2:35 PM, tomasz86 said:

Windows 2000 does not support dynamic frequency scaling, so my guess would be that your CPU is simply running at 100% all the time, hence the high temperatures. You will need 3rd party software to control the frequencies.

Can you recommend a program to control the CPU frequency?

• 6 months later...
On 10/27/2018 at 1:40 PM, Win2000Fan said:

Interesting but it doesnt work for me with newest BWC kernel, using W2k Professional 2011 iso, it only detects 2 cores instead of 4 on my Xeon E5430

Edit:

Ok, I just installed Extended Core over Extended kernel and 4 cores are working good. sorry!

Edited by to2000

• 4 years later...

Hello,
is there a German version of the Extended Core? If not, is there a way to install the (English) version of Extended Core on a German Windows 2000?

greeting
beagle