How to use 4 Cores in Windows 2000

Hi, i am running Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 on a Core2Quad machine,

i found this thread:

and would also like to enable all 4 cores of my cpu in w2k.

use Gurgelmeyer's USP5 and then Update Rollup 2, and then UUR or BWC ext. kernel. That's how I do it, and Win2k runs great with any multi-core setup, recognizing upto 8 cores flawlessly.

I am new to this, can someone tell me what exactly i have to install and where i can find it?

for USP5 i tried to install this: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_windows_2000_unofficial_sp.html

but it does not work because i have a german version of windows 2000.

i do not know where to find "Update Rollup 2" and UUR or BWC ext. Kernel.

Edit:

I think BWC ext. Kernel is this:

but i do not know which files i have to download and install.

Edited by Michael_

I already did this.

What i did is installing Windows 2000 SP4 and this registry change.

I also installed a german updates pack because SP5 does not work. What else do i have to do.

I guess i need to install the KernelEX but i do not know what files i have to download.

Yeah i found that link already but what i really need to know is WHAT except for Windows 2000 and Service Pack 4 do i have to install in order to use 4 cores?

A simple list would be very helpful.

Yes with Windows XP i can use all 4 Cores.

The Thing is Windows 2000 Prof. can only use 2 Cores by default, so i need to tweak it to use all 4.

But i do not know what exactly i need to do to use all 4 cores.

I now have installed windows 2000 and service pack 4.

i now need to know what do i also have to install to get all 4 cores working, just the registry tweak does not change anything for me.

or should that be all i have to do? because it does not work.

Edited by Michael_

I think the registry change (and maybe a reboot) should have done it, but that CPU may be a little...different (two dual-core CPU dies in a single package, rather than 4 true cores).

You could try to update the CPU driver in device manager, or just uninstall it, and reboot to reinstall.

Device Manager / Computer / ACPI Multiprocessor PC ; right-click and update driver.

You could also enter the BIOS and reset the CPU configuration (set it to one or two cores, save, then go back and set it once again to all cores).

Okay i installed ~ 150 Updates PER HAND and did what you said.

Still not working.

So in summary:

I installed Windows 2000 with SP4

Then installed 150 Updates by Hand

Installed the registry edit for 4 cores

Updated acpi Multiprocessor driver and bios

still not working, if somebody knows something i still have to install or can try please let me know, thanks.

PS:

If i want to install the ex.kernel from blackwingcat what exactly do i have to install and download?

• 2 weeks later...

The registry edit will not work because you need to have the modified kernel files installed first. This is not a technical limitation, just a licensing issue. Simple speaking, Windows 2000 treats each of your cores as a separate CPU, and Windows 2000 Professional officially supports only two CPUs. In one word, you need to install the BlackWingCat's kernel to make everything work, but the kernel is not available in German. You can still force installation of English updates in your system, but the result will be a mishmash of English and German everywhere in the OS. I would really not recommend it, unless you are desperate ;).

PS Please check my website for a complete list of official updates for Windows 2000. I recommend installing / slipstreaming all of them before trying out any unofficial packages. The updates, however, will still not help you with this particular problem though.

Edited by tomasz86