Plz help: Windows PE with SSD drivers (Lenovo y460p)

enuffsaid

It depends on the size of the SSD, usually they are not that big in size.

Personally I would procure a USB hard disk, a 500 GB-1 TB  (should be as low as 50-60 bucks), and make on it a full image of the disk before resetting the device to factory. Then you can mount the image (read only) and copy back whatever file you actually need when (if) you will need it.

This way you don't have the risk to forget (now) to copy this or that file (that will be gone after the reset) and you won't lose the time needed to "hunt" the files.

Conversely, a full image would allow you in the future, when you have time and will, etc., to revert the situation to the current one, allowing you to attempt to fix the "old install".

About these attempts to repair, having a full image is also handy for this, as you can "risk" more "crazy" (or "radical") attempts/fixes, as you know that you can, any time, go back in time and have the thing again as it was.

The SSD  MMCRE32GEDXP-MVBL1 is seemingly a MSATA MINI PCI-E device, it shouldn't *need* any particular driver on Windows 7, but it is possible that you accidentally deleted some needed related entries in the Registry.

If the issue is the SSD (or controller) driver, you should have a STOP ERROR 0x0000007b "Inaccessible Boot Device when attempting to boot.

jaclaz

On 7/27/2018 at 10:20 AM, jaclaz said:

It depends on the size of the SSD, usually they are not that big in size.

jaclaz

Hi Jaclaz.  The SSD is only 32GB in size.  The problem is how Lenovo set it up.  There's an SSD and a HDD.  Windows is installed on the SSD and then the SSD and HDD are combined into 1 virtual disk.

I've used the Linux Live CD you recommended and have been able to recover my most important files.  Some were 0 KB in size due to the file being spread over both drives.  But that's okay.  My most important files were luckily still intact.  I'm actually typing this from my laptop so I'm up and running again.

I really liked the Linux Live CD and I can see myself using that for other occasions in the future.  Thanks again for your help, jaclaz.  Have a good weekend.

1 hour ago, enuffsaid said:

I'm actually typing this from my laptop so I'm up and running again.

Good. :)

1 hour ago, enuffsaid said:

Thanks again for your help, jaclaz.  Have a good weekend.

You are very welcome :), will do ;).

jaclaz

On 7/26/2018 at 10:14 AM, enuffsaid said:

The laptop came with Win 7 64 bit.  AOMEI PE builder uses Win 10. Do you think that could be the reason its not seeing the SSD? If you have any suggestions what drivers to try I would appreciate that.

1. No.

2. My process is to first find the hardware id (already done here) then look into the INFs to find exactly which driver to use. If it is "unknown to me hardware" then I would first test the driver with drvload in the PE itself. This would allow me to install the driver, then use Diskpart to immediately see if the disk is detected. This saves a lot of time when mounting and adding drivers to images. Then when I find the driver that allows diskpart to see the disk, then integrate that driver into the image.