Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

BadGoldEagle

Win 98: Explorer in another language??

Hey there,

I recently installed .NET Framework 2.0 and IE 5.5 on my Win 98SE machine and since then I noticed the file explorer was in a totally different language.  Does anyone know what caused this and if that's somewhat reversible ?

Can I manually re-install explorer.exe?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Wow. Thanks! That's one quick and effective answer.

So, correct me if I'm wrong but to install this in DOS mode, I need to type this command, right? (if the new explorer.exe is located in the root directory)

COPY C:explorer.exe C:WINDOWS

I'll backup the orignal file first in case something goes wrong. But yeah having the explorer in german isn't particularly great. I speak it but it just looks out of place. Don't really know what happened there. Must have downloaded a german version of .NET Framework or something...

Edit: Hummm are you sure this is the right file? This looks to me as the Native USB Drivers?

Edited by BadGoldEagle

28 minutes ago, BadGoldEagle said:

Edit: Hummm are you sure this is the right file? This looks to me as the Native USB Drivers?

It is a Native USB Driver package but it contains the latest available version of EXPLORER.EXE among its files.

It's been a long time since I have worked with NUSB package files but I believe one or more patches to EXPLORER.EXE were made for ease of use with removable drives. Most likely it also already includes the 256-Color Tray Icons patch, but if not you should apply this patch to the NUSB version.

Oh ok. My bad. I have already installed a USB "storage device" driver, so I'd rather install the OG file in case the new patched one conflicts with the driver I have. I did not know about the 256 color tray patch until today. I'll install it once I get the explorer working the way I want again.

6 hours ago, BadGoldEagle said:

Wow. Thanks! That's one quick and effective answer.

So, correct me if I'm wrong but to install this in DOS mode, I need to type this command, right? (if the new explorer.exe is located in the root directory)

COPY C:explorer.exe C:WINDOWS

I'll backup the orignal file first in case something goes wrong. But yeah having the explorer in german isn't particularly great. I speak it but it just looks out of place. Don't really know what happened there. Must have downloaded a german version of .NET Framework or something...

Don't forget the backslashes:

COPY C:\explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS

How could I ever forget! Thanks for letting me know!

I don't have the PC with me ATM so I'll try that next Saturday.

I replaced explorer.exe and unfortunately the menus are still in german... Interestingly enough, even dxdiag says the system is in german... That's really odd. 

Any guess to what could be the culprit here?

Is MFC42LOC.DLL present in the System or System32 folder? If so, rename it.

1) Uninstall .NET Framework 2.0 and IE 5.5 (as much as possible)
2) restore a previous registry
3) Reinstall correct-language versions of .NET Framework 2.0 and IE 5.5