Delta City '95 - ultimate collection of Windows 95 updates/tools

MrMateczko

At least the site is compatible with old browsers/OSes. That's the spirit. Author claims some updates will be on the way.

Has anyone tried to do automated WinSock2 installer for 95? It doesn't use the same update mechanism as other updates.

I certainly wouldn't install it, at least not on a real computer.

Windows 95 is rather finicky when it comes to updates. Updates might render some applications or games useless or might slow down your computer significantly or just cause other seemingly inexplicable problems.

Just install the updates you really need and don't go for the most recent files just because they're newer.

Even if you don't run into any incompatibility problems newer system files might slow down your computer (as mentioned above).

Recently I updated the Common Controls Library with an update called 50comupd.exe (it seems to be a well known update). It is needed to run some newer applications but on a 486 you just don't want to install it because it slows the explorer down like you wouldn't believe. Before the update it was snappy, after the update the explorer slows down to a crawl. Since I knew which file had been updated, I was able to replace the newer file with the older one but of course you wouldn't know that if you installed all the updates at once.