Error 995: Cause?

Hi, I'd really be interested by input from anyone inclined in networking on this problem...

So around mid 2016 my favourite multiplayer FPS game stopped 'connecting' to the main server. Web browsing works on same system. It works on Windows 7 just not XP. I'd like it to work on XP.

Normally, the main exe starts a splash menu on the desktop. A 'Play' button on that splash initates fullscreen modeb (game server browser within).
Upon clicking 'Play' theres 2 stages, file verification and connection to server, should verification prove successful. Instead this happens:

untitled.png 1. running un-modified OS, this is shown briefly followed by...

untitled.png 2. error 995

Info on Error 995.

995 is an error reported by the IO Completion Port. The error comes since you try to continue read from the socket when it has most likely been closed. -source

and

Most likely, the service is running out of time to complete the process. -source

This game is a .NET/C++ build so it could related to those. All depedencies are installed.

UPDATE 2019

On an entirely different motherboard the problem persists, ruling out nforce firewall as a cause. The main connection is USB wireless adapter. Downstream ISP-side blocks/firewalls have been ruled out; I've tried multiple alt. connections including Physical Cat5 cable > DSL. Before I was able to play over wireless on XP without issue. The sheer spontaneity of this error suggests that maybe the main server was upgraded and in turn the code on there detects XP and rejects connection.

Heres my ipconfig report, which may/not help below. I'd be thrilled to recieve any pointers...

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : personal
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : DNSpersonal
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No                <--------------Normal??
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No                <--------------Normal??
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : DNSpersonal

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-LINK Wireless USB
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 50-3E-AA-57-FF-1D
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.32.194.154
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.248
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.32.194.153
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.32.194.153
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.22.22
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 10 June 2019 22:02:42
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 10 June 2019 22:17:42

Pleasse help

Edited by shorterxp

• 2 weeks later...

Bump

A developer kindly coded and incorporated a log/trace feature into the games login process. This is what it returned. When I sent this info to them they stated that it was insufficient to for him to advance on the cause.

Project Reality Log File
PRLauncher.exe started at: 2018-07-26T17:03:13

Warning: Socket error 995: 
   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.EndRead(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at Reality.BF2.GameSpy.GameSpyClient.(IAsyncResult )

> Unable to read data from the transport connection: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.
Edited by shorterxp

I would guess, the server closes the connection, but the client doesn't check for the active connection and instead tries to continue issuing requests to it. I would suspect that the client would behave the same way with either the correct or incorrect OS. It might be conflicting information, typically a Socket Error is referring to network communication. A thread exit should give a different error... in the normal world. Since this error is coming from the software, we can't expect it to show exact information we would see from Windows.

So the thought would be, what is different in the communication from the "working" and "non-working" installation? You'd have to do a Wireshark (or other network monitoring) capture on your interface during both operations, and compare them to see what might be different. You would think the request from the software would be different in each situation, as the remote server would not be able to make a determination about the client on its own.

There is a problem with this approach however. Since it is a product under active support, the developers may not look kindly on this type of information being posted to the public internet.

• 2 months later...