Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

sdfox7

taokaizen Browser: "Advanced Chrome" Issue

When attempting to access "Settings" in Advanced Chrome 54, I experience the follow issue.

advchrome.jpg

If I 1) rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\pepflashplayer32_29_0_0_125.dll to pepflashplayer.dll, will this fix the issue, and

2) will doing that create any other issues due to dependencies within the system?

I'm not sure why it's calling the Flash Player from the System32 directory since Advanced Chrome has PepperFlash in its own directory:

chrome_flash_manual_install_2.bmp

advchromeppf.jpg

AppVersion 52.15.5320.0

This is NOT the latest/current version of AdvancedChrome ; that one is v54.20.6530.0, released on Jan 5th 2018:

http://browser.taokaizen.com/

6 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

I'm not sure why it's calling the Flash Player from the System32 directory

ModName: pepflashplayer32_29_0_0_125.dll

Is the system32\Macromed\Flash screenshot current? There you have v pepflashplayer32_29_0_0_113.dll which, presumably, it's not the one producing the Error (?); 29.0.0.113 is the latest stable, while 29.0.0.125 is beta; you shouldn't mix both...

In your third screenshot, the path to "Pepperflash" directory indicates an "Advanced_Chrome_v54.20.6530.0" directory/installation, so what is your actually installed version?

The error signature window points to version 52.15.5320.0 of the browser, that same window refers to PPAPI 29_0_0_125.dll erroring out, but your second screenshot shows an OS install of PPAPI 29_0_0_113.dll; OTOH, your third screenshot purports to version 54.20.6530.0 of the browser and v29_0_0_125.dll of pepflashplayer.dll (obviously manually put there...); I am really confused :(; screenshots are supposed to help!

In any case, update to just v54.20.6530.0 of AdvChr, removing from your system any previous version remnants; then open chrome://flash/ in a tab and inspect how many flash plugins are picked up by the browser; you'll see paths, too; then open chrome://plugins/ (in a tab) and scroll to the Adobe Flash Player section; the one linked to the browser (inside PepperFlash dir) will report a  99.0.0.0 version string, you should be able to selectively disable the OS PPAPI version, if also present there...

I am on Vista myself, so can't test on XP, but here AdvChrome 54.20.6530.0 only sees the locally installed (outdated) PPAPI pepflashplayer.dll v28.0.0.137, not the system-wide install of PPAPI 29.0.0.125b (just installed as a test); I then uninstalled PPAPI 29.0.0125b from the system, keeping a back-up of both pepflashplayer32_29_0_0_125.dll + manifest.json; the .dll was renamed to just pepflashplayer.dll and then placed (+ new manifest.json) inside AdvChrome's Pepperflash dir - older version temporarily removed from there; relaunched browser does see the PPAPI.dll, http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/ correctly reports a 29.0.0.125 version and I can browse to chrome://settings/ without any issue whatsoever :yes: Maybe your issue stems from a combination of AdvChr+XP+betaPPAPI; I can't be sure whether Adobe really care about (/test on) XP+older Chromium code nowadays, though their plugins presumably still support XP/vista; for further reporting/troubleshooting, AdvChrome has a dedicated support forum here, maintained by the dev himself (though, if you're a newly registered member, it'll be a bit tricky to submit your first post, since the anti-spam filter there is very peculiar :angry:)...

Regards

Posted (edited)

@VistaLover

While I am currently using a mix of beta and non beta Flash Player on my system, the beta Flash isn't the cause. It will still crash, even with the official 29.0.0.113 version.

This has actually been an ongoing problem with Advanced Chrome, even when I have used consistent versions of the official release versions of Flash Player systemwide.

Here is the same crash, even with the official 29.0.0.113 version installed systemwide:

advchromecrash.jpg

sys32flash.jpg

Finally, if you download the Advanced Browser from the website, you will see that although the version is supposedly 54.20.6530.0, the actual CHROME.EXE file is version 5215.5320.0:

advchromever.jpg

Edited by sdfox7
screenshots

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

I'm not sure why it's calling the Flash Player from the System32 directory since Advanced Chrome has PepperFlash in its own directory

I also had the problem delete the PepperFlash directory in Advanced Chrome and install the Opera / Chromium Flashplayer plugin from Adobe. Otherwise no other changes have to be made!

Note:
With ProxHTTPSProxyMII, Chromium-based Web browsers also work with more advanced encryption technologies.

:)

Edited by heinoganda
  • Upvote 1

@sdfox7

Thanks for your follow up/explanations :)

9 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

While I am currently using a mix of beta and non beta Flash Player on my system, the beta Flash isn't the cause

I, for one, wouldn't do that, regardless of whether it's impacting AdvChrome or not, but everyone here is  entitled to one's own free choice... ;)

That download comes with the extremely outdated PPAPI v21.0.0.213 (from Apr 6th 2016); does the browser still crash with only that specific version? More to the point, does the crash still occur with only a  "pepflashplayer.dll" inside PepperFlash dir (and not a system32 PPAPI install)?

you will see that although the version is supposedly 54.20.6530.0, the actual CHROME.EXE file is version 5215.5320.0:

You are correct :thumbup and that detail did escape me :dubbio:; presumably the developer was lazy and didn't recompile the .exe, although the all-important chrome.dll is of the correct version 54.20.6530.0; you can modify the version of chrome.exe to the correct string (52.15.5320.0 => 54.20.6530.0) using Resource Hacker

10 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

It will still crash, even with the official 29.0.0.113 version.

This has actually been an ongoing problem with Advanced Chrome, even when I have used consistent versions of the official release versions of Flash Player systemwide.

If you and @heinoganda find this is an ongoing/reproducible XP issue when both the default PPAPI (inside AC's PepperFlash dir) and a system32 PPAPI are present, then, as suggested, better report it to the AdvChrome developer, else this issue will only linger...

Best regards :)

Posted (edited)

@VistaLover

Unfortunately, Advanced Chrome has a lot of bugs, I noticed this problem from the beginning with the Pepperflash plugin when the official Pepperflash plugin for Opera / Chromium from Adobe is installed. Therefore, the error solution from me, as the Pepperflash plugin in the Advanced Chrome folder firstly outdated and secondly leads to problems when the official plugin from Adobe is installed. Advanced Chrome works flawlessly with the Pepperflash plugin for Opera / Chromium from Adobe. Otherwise, if you have the necessary time you can try to report this error. There are some plugins that make problems in Advanced Chrome, these problems have not been resolved despite the message to the developer until today.

Note:
Due to a faulty program I would not dissect my system. :no:

Edited by heinoganda

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, heinoganda said:

I also had the problem delete the PepperFlash directory in Advanced Chrome and install the Opera / Chromium Flashplayer plugin from Adobe. Otherwise no other changes have to be made!

Note:
With ProxHTTPSProxyMII, Chromium-based Web browsers also work with more advanced encryption technologies.

@VistaLover thank you for the information you provided.

@heinoganda

THIS SOLUTION WORKED FOR ME!

Since Flash Player is already installed in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash, I did not need to do the second part and "install".

Simply deleting the Pepperflash directory in C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen Fox\My Documents\Advanced_Chrome_v54.20.6530.0\Advanced Chrome fixed the issue. Thanks!

Edited by sdfox7