Trouble with .NET Framework

HoppaLong

XP Pro_SP3

You can find many old posts about .NET Framework 4.0 drastically slowing system
bootup.  I never had a slow boot problem, however, after Windows finished loading
my system ran like cold molasses!

I tried installing 4.0 twice.  Each time I restored the system from an image backup.
There are so many apps that don't use .NET Framework, so it wasn't a priority.

A few days ago I downloaded an app that requires 4.0 (I've got 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5)

If install 4.0 again, I know my system will run very slow.  Is there a way to run 4.0 as
a "lite version" of .NET Framework?  Maybe disable a few processes that are not needed.

Can't find a solution.

Haven't tried this myself yet, but after installing .NET 4.0, try the following two commands from an elevated command prompt:

cd C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\
ngen update

You'll get some error messages but it's been reported to significantly improve boot-up time.

Don't know for sure, but you may need to redo that after applying .NET 4.0 updates, so you may want to put it in a .bat file....

Also suggested: disabling (or setting to manual) the Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X[86/64] service, but I don't know if that will prevent your new app from running. Worth a try if the above doesn't help.

As to why this works, here's the best explanation I found:

One of the things that .NET does is allow you to write a program that will run on different types of computers.  Commonly, there are two types of Windows computers you can buy -- 32 bit or 'x86' computers and 64 bit or 'x64' computers.

NGEN is a program that looks at a .NET application and says "if this computer is x86, optimize the program to run well there.  Otherwise if the computer is x64, optimize it for that type of computer'.

What's happening is that in order to decrease installation time, .NET 4.0 doesn't run this 'ngen' process when you install .NET 4.0.  Instead, it starts a service and does it in the background later.  As one previous poster said, "after three boots, the computer ran fine."  In his case the background NGEN service had finished its work and was no longer slowing boot down.

Edited by Mathwiz

dencorso, your command line was extremely helpful.

I've got two install tracking apps. Revo Uninstaller and Advanced Uninstaller. .NET Framework 4.0
performed 3,600 disc operations and 16,574 Registry additions, edits, or something else. It's a big
honking app!

After the install I immediately rebooted. Bootup was good, but there was a problem. I run a script
in the Startup folder. I don't want several apps smashing into each other, so my script sequentially
loads each app in the tray. A "Wait" command allows each app to finish loading before the next begins.

.NET Framework was crashing my script. After running the "all purpose fix framework" command
line everything was fine. No more problems!

Thanks again, dencorso.

On 7/18/2018 at 11:06 PM, dencorso said:

Try just this from a dos box before anything. I've used it many times in the past. It just works.

%systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe executequeueditems

Thanks, I had the same problem, and it works in this way.