Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


SwimSwim

Windows 8.0 Pro OEM (64 bit)

Recommended Posts

I have a sealed copy of Windows 8.0 Pro(64bit) laying around somewhere and I want to build a new pc soon enough, thinking that would be nice avoid switching to Win 10(mainly due spying and less control overy my system).

My concern is that what I have heard newer CPU-s(also motherboards) wont support anything other than Windows 10 ( Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake), I mean there are rumors that you can make certain older OS work with newer CPU-s but there is lack of information about Win 8.0 on the internet, therefore I came for asking your help. 

Please anyone can tell me, what is the newest CPU, GPU etc I can go with if I intend to choose Win 8.0 as my OS!

Thank you very much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SwimSwim said:

Please anyone can tell me, what is the newest CPU, GPU etc I can go with if I intend to choose Win 8.0 as my OS!

Since Windows 8.0 has such a pitiful marketshare and is technically not supported, Microsoft decided not to port the CPU block for NT 6.2 OSes (no unsupported CPU popups for 8.0 :thumbup). Technically, Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake should be compatible if you have the drivers for it (if you search the internet you're bound to find something).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Since Windows 8.0 has such a pitiful marketshare and is technically not supported, Microsoft decided not to port the CPU block for NT 6.2 OSes (no unsupported CPU popups for 8.0 :thumbup). Technically, Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake should be compatible if you have the drivers for it (if you search the internet you're bound to find something).

Finally a little bit of good news! However according to different sources Microsoft writes drivers for the CPU, what I heard in theory nothing stopping AMD and Intel releasing their own processor drivers for Win7/8.0/8.1 but they wont since long time. I7 6700K(skylake) the last one supported by Intel which was released years ago, sure I will search for drivers but fear there is a little hope for success, still thank you anyway, for the only good news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SwimSwim said:

Finally a little bit of good news! However according to different sources Microsoft writes drivers for the CPU, what I heard in theory nothing stopping AMD and Intel releasing their own processor drivers for Win7/8.0/8.1 but they wont since long time. I7 6700K(skylake) the last one supported by Intel which was released years ago, sure I will search for drivers but fear there is a little hope for success, still thank you anyway, for the only good news.

Don't worry what Microsoft says... I managed to get my AMD Ryzen 5 1600 working on Windows Vista and also installed Windows 7 on my Kaby Lake laptop just fine! What you really need to figure out is if you're OK with using (supposedly/allegedly) unsupported hardware on "old" OSes. I know I'm fine with it, as the few advantages Windows 10 brings are outshined by its incredible number of bugs, bloat and overall user unfriendliness. That's just my take on it...

From my experience, new CPUs have the same performance on Windows 7/8 as they do in 10. The thing that will make it or break it are really the drivers. I know that Kaby Lake has GPU and chipset drivers fully compatible with 7 and 8.0/8.1, but I haven't researched Coffee Lake.

Edited by greenhillmaniac
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Don't worry what Microsoft says... I managed to get my AMD Ryzen 5 1600 working on Windows Vista and also installed Windows 7 on my Kaby Lake laptop just fine! What you really need to figure out is if you're OK with using (supposedly/allegedly) unsupported hardware on "old" OSes. I know I'm fine with it, as the few advantages Windows 10 brings are outshined by its incredible number of bugs, bloat and overall user unfriendliness. That's just my take on it...

From my experience, new CPUs have the same performance on Windows 7/8 as they do in 10. The thing that will make it or break it are really the drivers. I know that Kaby Lake has GPU and chipset drivers fully compatible with 7 and 8.0/8.1, but I haven't researched Coffee Lake.

Thanks, you really made my day now there is HOPE, of course I am okay with "old" OS as long as they provide a viable alternative to Win 10. Well still only in the planning phase so no need to rush, but I would take the newest hardware which can be made work with Win 8.0, before this I was almost ready to bite the bullet and switch to 10 because heard there is no way to make new CPUs work with anything else other than 10(maybe with 7 if one very tech savy).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, SwimSwim said:

because heard there is no way to make new CPUs work with anything else other than 10(maybe with 7 if one very tech savy).

Even with 7 and 8.1 where Microsoft implemented the CPU block, all it does is display a nagging message saying the CPU is unsupported and stop you from updating from Windows Update and .msu files. You can still install updates from extracted .cab files with Dism and additionally use these community tools to circumvent the artificial block:

https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc
https://github.com/p-lider/WuaCpuFix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Even with 7 and 8.1 where Microsoft implemented the CPU block, all it does is display a nagging message saying the CPU is unsupported and stop you from updating from Windows Update and .msu files. You can still install updates from extracted .cab files with Dism and additionally use these community tools to circumvent the artificial block:

https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc
https://github.com/p-lider/WuaCpuFix

Good to know that one have so many choices and 7/8.0/8.1 all viable if one overcomes the artificial blocks implented by MS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...