Compatible hardware with Windows Vista

WinClient5270

Intel Atom N470 works perfectly fine with Vista x64, and i'm sure that otehr atom processors will also work, however some can only use x86.

If needed, my graphics card is a gma 3150. Vista doesnt come with the drivers, so youll have to install them manully.

Edited by GlowingLights

• 3 weeks later...

• 4 months later...

No chances. Crimson and later drivers has too many functions calls that not supported by Vista. Only Catalyst (up to 15.11.1) may have working on Vista, but this one supported AMD r300 series and older.

• 3 months later...

I have a GTX 970 along with an Intel Core i7-3770 3.40ghz CPU, but when I install the driver for the graphics card, it crashes within 3 minutes of logging in, any advice?

Error Message: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Code: 0x000000D1

File that appears to be causing the problem: USBSTOR.SYS

Edit: It isn't doing it any more, strange...

Edited by defob
hi

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Trying to get Vista to run on a Ryzen 7 2700X, and MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon. It's not going well, I get random BSODs during boot, sometimes even just seconds after it begins booting. I also get the BSODs when logging in, and during general use, and sometimes after pressing the reboot button.

I don't know what is causing this, but I do have all the minidumps from the install and from me fooling around with the BIOS settings trying to fix the issue. I'll try making a ISO with all the updates and installing from a DVD, but I don't know if it'll fix anything

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/682652271343042653/735194565522227330/Minidump.7z

Here is something that @XP-x64-Lover said awhile back. Perhaps it could be somewhat relevant to this situation:

Windows Server 2k8 x64 is running stable on Ryzen thus far; with third party pci-e devices for storage, usb & of course video. Drivers for sata is the default ahci drivers that come with windows; it's been working stable so far. Also, I have many devices and such disabled in BIOS; for instance SMT is disabled just in case. I'm currently logging everything i do or change to better understand the cause of a system failure if it arises. I'll update you all on further progress later on. "lol I'm currently using this system as I write this".

PS: The reason I'm using Server 2008 Enterprise x64 is because windows vista enterprise x64 gave me blue screens before I could even log in; it was very random and would give me blue screens often and than sometimes not for a little awhile. I'm not 100% sure as to why Server 2008 is more stable on Ryzen since both Vista and Server 2008 are almost identical; for now all I can do is speculate.

I see thank you, well for some reason the ASRock AB350 Pro4 doesn't work well with regular Vista itself but, it plays nicely with a fully updated & prepped Windows Server 2008 x64 for the most part. The only drivers I can't use with "stability" are the ASMedia SATA / AMD SATA and possibly the drivers mentioned by greenhillmaniac. I am however using the onboard AMD USB 2.0, 3.0 & 3.1 with little issue; the only issue I see is a USB ID issue the system complains about sometimes. (I've learned to appreciate Vista/2k8 and I find them or it to be a fairly rock solid OS.) I still prefer XP x64 and wish I had succeeded in getting it to work on that motherboard but, I'm just glad I made some big progress thus far; I was beginning to get discouraged that no OS other then 7 would run well. (I am very disappointed in most Manufacturers today; We users deserve a choice of our preferred OS.) Not to be forced or have Win10 shoved down our throats constantly. Whatever happened to freedom of choice; There was a time when the market was more open and allowed for more diverse users; and actually listened to the customer / user and their requests and suggestions. I think most of it comes from a place of greed and laziness / lack of imagination, vision and openness. Anyways, end of "rant"...

Perhaps Vista needs to be updated to at least 2018/19 level of updates.

I'll look at the dumps when I can get back into Vista, as it's a real pill for me as well.

2 minutes ago, win32 said:

Perhaps Vista needs to be updated to at least 2018/19 level of updates.

I'll try making an ISO with the latest official Vista updates, but I won't go to Server 2008 updates, because I need my extended kernel

1 hour ago, asdf2345 said:

I'll try making an ISO with the latest official Vista updates, but I won't go to Server 2008 updates, because I need my extended kernel

you can update to July 2020 and still use extended kernel , which is what i'm currently doing 

Edited by burd

• 3 months later...

Posted a thread after searching, ended up finding this thread while trying to find board chipsets with drivers on the sites for Vista.

As far as I can tell all Ivy Bridge dell boards that come out of their rigs don't have Vista drivers on their support site.

All of the X79 Ivy boards I checked seem to have full Vista support from the typical vendors for building your own PCs, I assume most boards in between here and Core 2 Duo's later socket 775 boards will also have Vista drivers, although I have a strong opinion based on what I remember back in the day that you want drivers that were actually built for stable Vista I think boards with drivers dated June 2009 or later would be a lot more stable than drivers that were made for Vista and then never updated (asrock Dual-VSTA).

Good way to find them is with part picker hit Ivy Bridge CPU. Then go into the motherboard section and it'll have most of the motherboards that were compatible and inputted into the site.

These things unfortunately don't seem to be cheap I think buying a Sandy Bridge Optiplex is the best bet at the moment for a reasonably priced and well performing Vista rig. Or of course AMD bulldozer board with Vista drivers on it's site.

I realize the 2017 Ryzen are confirmed working but it's kind of a scary thought to me personally plunking down that much cash for something without chipset drivers. It would definitely be sweet though seeing how it runs on higher speed ddr4 though.

Ironically the best priced boards I could find were the 970M Pro3 if you want custom built pc uefi or the Optiplex's with sandy bridge cpu compatibility. Ironic because I already obtained a optiplex 790 free from my sister and the 970M Pro3 which I had 8.1 and now 10 on for the last 5 years or so. Looks like that'll be my Vista PC's board at some point in the future if I upgrade my main rig.

Edited by Valvados
typo

5 minutes ago, Valvados said:

Posted a thread after searching, ended up finding this thread while trying to find board chipsets with drivers on the sites for Vista.

As far as I can tell all Ivy Bridge dell boards that come out of their rigs don't have Vista drivers on their support site.

All of the X79 Ivy boards I checked seem to have full Vista support from the typical vendors for building your own PCs, I assume most boards in between here and Core 2 Duo's later socket 775 boards will also have Vista drivers, although I have a strong opinion based on what I remember back in the day that if you want drivers that were actually built for stable Vista I think boards with drivers dated June 2009 or later would be a lot more stable than drivers that were made for Vista and then never updated (asrock Dual-VSTA).

Good way to find them is with part picker hit Ivy Bridge CPU. Then go into the motherboard section and it'll have most of the motherboards that were compatible and inputted into the site.

These things unfortunately don't seem to be cheap I think buying a Sandy Bridge Optiplex is the best bet at the moment for a reasonably priced and well performing Vista rig. Or of course AMD bulldozer board with Vista drivers on it's site.

I realize the 2017 Ryzen are confirmed working but it's kind of a scary thought to me personally plunking down that much cash for something without chipset drivers. It would definitely be sweet though seeing how it runs on higher speed ddr4 though.

Ironically the best priced boards I could find were the 970M Pro3 if you want custom built pc uefi or the Optiplex's with sandy bridge cpu compatibility. Ironic because I already obtained a optiplex 790 free from my sister and the 970M Pro3 which I had 8.1 and now 10 on for the last 5 years or so. Looks like that'll be my Vista PC's board at some point in the future if I upgrade my main rig.

I believe this contains everything you need to know

• 3 months later...

Good evening, I have such a question - are there any chances for the integrated video card to work in the Pentium G630 processor on Windows Vista? I just can't find the driver. If someone can find, I will be very grateful about that. If anything, it's Sandy Bridge

7 hours ago, Win10-Hater said:

I'm not sure about this, since the list of supported processors simply does not include the one I need. More precisely, it is not visible on the list.

WARNING @ all:
better not write or edit longer posts currently, like the FIRST one in such great support topics:

Since 1-2 days the forum is reported to have a killer bug, it simply DELETES the rest of "longer" posts without warning! And no restore possible (the definition of "long" is also debatable)
And when trying to edit and add the rest again, the first attempt may look successful - BUT afterwards further edits are impossible:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182381-long-posts-truncated-new-annoying-bug/