slowness when accessing/posting forum post

roytam1

I confirm it. Seems to be a DDoS attack... it started yesterday, but is much worse, right now. But rest assured it'll be fixed. Those things pass and are forgotten fast. Too bad it came so soon after that big one week-long crash we had, but RL is like that. I'm getting Error: 500 sometimes, too. Oh, well... :wacko:

Clipboard01.png

I had that yesterday as well. You'd think people would have better things to do with their time instead of making websites inaccessible, like making a living. But apparently not. At least it seems to be it's working fine now for the most part. Except it does seem to stumble a bit when you're posting but if you open a new tab, the reply seems to have gone through.

No disrespect meant, but I'm wondering what is it about MSFN that has caused it to be targeted for attack or have other major failures over the last several years? At least it seems that way when empirically comparing it to the uptimes and response times of other tech forums such as RyanVM, WinCert, MDL, etc.  Very curious.

EDIT:

Yep, it still seems to be a bit slow... noticeably a bit slow...

This is a MAJOR understatement. :)

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Well, our continued critical attitude regarding Windows 10 and our unrelenting defense of the right people has of continuing to use older OSes, including giving actual support for such users (us included, of course), is bound to annoy seriously most MS fanbois... but I doubt it might reach the point of their deflagrating an actual DDoS on MSFN. In case it may be so, well, it an honor to be so distinguished, IMO. :)

at Wed Jul 5 15:07:19 CEST 2018 our monitoring reported that we have lost connectivity to one of our switches in Strasbourg. After initial investigation it turned out that the switch rebooted itself. We are currently invesigating with our switch vendor. 

Connectivity has been restored at Wed Jul 5 15:19:20 CEST 2018. 

Your affected servers:
    - IPMI-IP: 134.***.***.***, Order Ticket #113249 (2018-06-05)

I don't know if the failing switch was at fault, but as of right now, the board response time is much better than it has been in a while.

I agree that CloudFlare might help a little bit with some of the problems MSFN has been experiencing.

Cheers and Regards

1) @bphlpt Owww, come on, set aside the issues caused by the good IP Board guys and their software "evoliution" we didn't have over the several years I was around but a handful of (temporary) issues, I guess we have already enough conspiracy theories around that we don't need a new one

2) @dencorso Remember that there are a couple prerequisites, the MS fanboys would need, to unite against MSFN and actually be able to create a DDOS, IMHO both unlilkely, and - to be fair - I don't think that *any* MS fanboy would be that hostile, after all they anyway come here from time to time  to get some help/assistance after the good MVP's have led them astray a few times on "more official" boards ;)

3) @roytam1 Cloudflare may (in some cases) "mitigate" such hypothetical attacks, but - to remain within our common knowledge - rebbot.pro (that is behind Cloudflare) over the years experienced a few DDOS induced outages anwway.

jaclaz

Plus of Cloudflare, in such case, is displaying last snapshot. But my experience, from user stance, is similar to jaclaz  - it's not universal fire-and forget panacea.

You know, if it is die-hard Microsoft fans, that's quite petty of them. I used to like Microsoft a lot more than I do now, especially after the Windows 8 blunder and then Windows 10 which I've used and don't like. But just because you don't like another community's opinion, it doesn't mean launch attacks at them. How would they like it if we went over there and started attack their servers? Oh, I forgot, that's different. "It's okay when I do it to you but if you do it to me, then that's not right."