Newer motherboards that support WinXP

jim2029

• 4 weeks later...

On 7/2/2019 at 12:36 AM, sukistackhouse said:

can I compress the file with

@echo off
makecab.exe /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 C:\1\WXP\acpi\acpi.sys acpi.sy_
pause

in overwrite it later?

Yes, this is the correct compression used by MS

On 8/4/2019 at 4:56 PM, Dietmar said:

Yesssssssssssssssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa all USB3 on XP SP3 on Intel chipset on full ACPI Multiprocessor

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

you may link to the post providing binaries: https://www.win-raid.com/t4035f45-Windows-XP-SP-bit-and-modern-PC-parts-148.html#msg87125

• 2 weeks later...

acpi_inf_for_Longhorn5048_x86.zip

The long awaited driver. But still not perfect. For desktop users probably solves the USB3-related problems, but notebooks (e.g. DELL M4800) may use a switching mechanism. If compatible OS detected, some or all ports are switched to USB3, else USB2 (and USB3 mode can not be forced in BIOS) - this is not too reliable, sometimes requires more restarts. So in case of my M4800 if I switch back from Win7, 1st time the ports are in USB3 mode (and works correctly), but 2nd time, these ports are switched back to USB2 mode. By this driver the problem with disfunctional ports after 1st restart to WinXP was solved.

The other (minor) problem, that ACPI.SYS from Longhorn build 5048 is required to install the USB3 driver. But this ACPI version have some missing features for notebook users accessible via function keys: changing the monitor brightness, switching between built-in and external monitors. And Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller driver (ACPI\PNP0C09) remains incorrectly installed - but it is not more needed/supported by the new ACPI.SYS. I made a modded INF for this ACPI.SYS, but installing on a live system may be problematic - without removing all references to ACPIEC from registry manually prior reinstalling the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller" the reinstallation was incorrect.

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2019 at 4:30 PM, PPeti66x said:

acpi_inf_for_Longhorn5048_x86.zip 1.63 kB · 6 downloads

The long awaited driver. But still not perfect. For desktop users probably solves the USB3-related problems, but notebooks (e.g. DELL M4800) may use a switching mechanism. If compatible OS detected, some or all ports are switched to USB3, else USB2 (and USB3 mode can not be forced in BIOS) - this is not too reliable, sometimes requires more restarts. So in case of my M4800 if I switch back from Win7, 1st time the ports are in USB3 mode (and works correctly), but 2nd time, these ports are switched back to USB2 mode. By this driver the problem with disfunctional ports after 1st restart to WinXP was solved.

The other (minor) problem, that ACPI.SYS from Longhorn build 5048 is required to install the USB3 driver. But this ACPI version have some missing features for notebook users accessible via function keys: changing the monitor brightness, switching between built-in and external monitors. And Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller driver (ACPI\PNP0C09) remains incorrectly installed - but it is not more needed/supported by the new ACPI.SYS. I made a modded INF for this ACPI.SYS, but installing on a live system may be problematic - without removing all references to ACPIEC from registry manually prior reinstalling the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller" the reinstallation was incorrect.

OK, I bought an used laptop Dell Latitude E6230 wth Windows 7 Pro installed on it (and Intel USB 3.0 drivers installed, I checked the devices manager).

For me it was the perfect candidate for testing the modded USB 3.0 drivers because it has all drivers for XP except the Intel USB 3.0 drivers. :rolleyes:

I used a disk image of Windows XP Pro SP3 prepared with Sysprep and 5,7 GB of drivers from DriverPacks injected into the disk image.

With the genuine acpi.sys and acpi.inf files :

1.jpg.1cc3f44de7659c04d13d3aa129f59989.jpg

2.jpg.368e4c8b47d4ef92e21a4d3ff0b8ed9e.jpg

3.jpg.2967b965167289655c5061f448464363.jpg

No yellow marks, all is working as expected, the USB ports are in 2.0 mode.

Now with the modded acpi.sys and acpi.inf files (I injected the files via Hiren's Boot CD before the first start of the disk image and the execution of Sysprep) :

4.jpg.0de8c522152076544e4b5298a0752a5b.jpg

5.jpg.49f5a6f5bbe487396da22b8c40c5a8c9.jpg

6.jpg.e5d9402abed10e06f613de131ab3f5ab.jpg

Now, step by step, how to install the modded USB 3.0 drivers ?

On the pictures, do not made aware of the name of the computer, it's a E6230 !

Best regards

Edited by genieautravail
correction

2 hours ago, genieautravail said:

Now, step by step, how to install the modded USB 3.0 drivers ?

On the pictures, do not made aware of the name of the computer, it's a E6230 !

Best regards

The "Intel(R) 7 Series... Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller - 1E31" is the XHCI(USB3) controller, the device which you need to install the universal usb3 drivers for. Get the universal USB3 driver here: https://www.win-raid.com/t4035f45-Windows-XP-Bit-and-Server-Bit-on-Modern-Hardware-148.html#msg87125 (Based on AMDXHCI; PREREQUISITE: Latest x86 acpi.sys file from the same link; made by daniel_k). Right click on that device, select update, install from a list or specific location, search for best driver... include this location in search and direct it to the unpacked folder with the XHCI drivers. If this won't work, right click on that device, select update, install from a list or specific location, choose "don't search, i will choose a driver to install", use Have Disk method, browse to the folder with the unpacked files and choose the 'amdxhc.inf' file. Choose "Intel(R) USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller"

Edited by IntMD

20 hours ago, IntMD said:

The "Intel(R) 7 Series... Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller - 1E31" is the XHCI(USB3) controller, the device which you need to install the universal usb3 drivers for. Get the universal USB3 driver here: https://www.win-raid.com/t4035f45-Windows-XP-Bit-and-Server-Bit-on-Modern-Hardware-148.html#msg87125 (Based on AMDXHCI; PREREQUISITE: Latest x86 acpi.sys file from the same link; made by daniel_k). Right click on that device, select update, install from a list or specific location, search for best driver... include this location in search and direct it to the unpacked folder with the XHCI drivers. If this won't work, right click on that device, select update, install from a list or specific location, choose "don't search, i will choose a driver to install", use Have Disk method, browse to the folder with the unpacked files and choose the 'amdxhc.inf' file. Choose "Intel(R) USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller"

The first solution doesn't works, but the second solution yes. :rolleyes:

7.jpg.b0812e1e417dc6b0cf5c61243f7c34b2.jpg

BUT, after restarting Windows (to be sure that the drivers are loaded). I played a little with some USB 3.0 devices and the average speed never go beyond 25 MB/s.
The 3.0 USB ports are always in 2.0 mode. :blink:

Any idea ? :huh:

Best regards

@genieautravail

Hi! Your problem is that you have notebook and not desktop PC. And in case of USB this is a big difference: notebooks have not enough USB ports to connect physically all USB ports that is supported by the chipset. And due to compatibility with older systems, all USB ports are in 2.0 mode on Dell notebooks, except the compatible OS is detected. This behavior can be forced via BIOS settings, but you can not force USB 3 mode on Dell computers - this is automatic. And device driver for this switcher does not exists for Windows XP/2003. So if you returns from Windows 7 or later, 1st time you will have USB 3.0 on XP (without modded AMD driver no working USB ports at this time), but 2nd and later times you will have only USB 2. So if you need USB 3 on XP, start the Win7/later, then restart to the Windows XP. But be careful, the switching mechanism is not 100% reliable. At this time no solution found for this problem. It seems that Intel Host Controller Switch (iusb3hcs.sys) device driver must be modded for the Windows XP, but a simple INF file modding is not enough, it is binary incompatible with the Windows XP.

PS: With ACPI.SYS build 5048 from Longhorn you may have other problems (at least on my M4800 these problems exists): 1. display brightness Fn keys no longer works; 2. monitor switching Fn key no longer works. If your notebook have a discrete graphics card, you will have problems with display switching if you returns from sleep mode or if display was turned off by system/software - with original ACPI.SYS you can reenable the display with the Fn key, which not works with the build 5048 version.

Edited by PPeti66x

On 6/30/2019 at 1:25 PM, Dietmar said:

New acpi.sys I make

which works until now on any XP SP3.

AMD, Intel, new, old boards, all languages.

Please test test test and tell results

Dietmar

acpi.rar 113.03 kB · 30 downloads

The modded ACPI file doesn't works with an AMD Carrizo APU. :(

Here the link to the motherboard :

https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=935

at XP boot, I get a BSOD (STOP : 0x000000A5)

Can you do something about this ? :}

Best regards

Edited by genieautravail
Correction

35 minutes ago, genieautravail said:

The modded ACPI file doesn't works with an AMD Carrizo APU. :(

Here the link to the motherboard :

https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=935

at XP boot, I get a BSOD (STOP : 0x000000A5)

Can you do something about this ? :}

Best regards

This acpi.sys driver is outdated iirc. It is best to use the modded acpi.sys made by daniel_k, which I've linked earlier.

Edited by IntMD