Newer motherboards that support WinXP

jim2029

And how do you use the file ?

Just by remplacing the previous by the new one ? 

And that's all ? :dubbio:

I Use disk images of XP prepared with Sysprep and 6 Gb of drivers injected (DriverPacks) for deployment on a new computer.

Do I have to replace acpi.sys before doing a disk image and deploy that disk image on a computer powered by a ryzen processor by example and that's all, XP will boot on the new computer ?

Best is, to make a new *.iso install CD for XP SP3 with nlite.

And in installationsfolder, just change acpi.sys against new version via makecab.exe

Dietmar

PS: I tested this on 2 AM4 boards, asrock fatal1ty ab350 gaming k4 and asus prime b350 plus and a lot of newer Intel boards,

works everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse me, is it possible to install the ACPI.sys file on a Windows XP installation? I'm hoping to do this without reinstalling XP.

I tried installing it via hardware manager (standard pc) with no success! Am I supposed to install it another way?

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

2 hours ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

Excuse me, is it possible to install the ACPI.sys file on a Windows XP installation?

If the system is already installed, then boot from any Live CD and replace the file. Or pack the file in the cab archive and replace it on the installation disk using UltraISO.

6 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

If the system is already installed, then boot from any Live CD and replace the file. Or pack the file in the cab archive and replace it on the installation disk using UltraISO.

I tried re-enable ACPI using instructions from here https://www.win-raid.com/t4035f45-Windows-XP-SP-bit-and-modern-PC-parts-64.html#msg81927
Your new acpi.sys did not prevent the computer (Bay Trail) from having a BSoD after re-enabling.

Anything before about 2012 when it comes to Intel desktop chipsets work I think. My desktop has a H61 based Sandy Bridge era chipset from 2011 and has drivers for XP (and HD 3000 Graphics, amusingly still called a GMA at that point).

Ivy Bridge chipsets probably vary but several definitely work (can’t remember about the IGP) while I don’t think anything’s really known about Haswell since most tests had issues with services not starting under XP/Vista.

RE: the AHCI thing I wouldn’t be surprised if multiple copies are kept around (System File Protection) so...

Edited by hydro2duo
Not 2000

Ivy Bridge seems to be the last chipset with official XP drivers, as seen on my ThinkPad X230 which is based on it:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x230/downloads

Haswell IGP's have drivers for Windows XP as well, but those seem to work only for desktops, not laptops:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22875/Intel-HD-Graphics-driver-for-Windows-XP32-Embedded

Edited by MrMateczko

As I said before, an X79 board powered by a (12-thread) i7-4960X is the most powerful beast one can assemble, while having all official drivers available for XP SP3. Then again, such a machine, as all based on Ivy Bridge-E processors, does not come with On-Chip GPU nor USB 3.x inside the chipset (which ends up being good, because nobody still has come out with a working XP driver for Intel USB 3.x, while all brands of USB 3.0 have XP compatible drivers). All newer generations require the inexistent Intel USB 3.x drivers for XP and many have On-Chip GPUs for which there aren't drivers either. The most recent boards also have incopatible ACPI,but that has been sorted out, thanks to the hard work of Dietmar and MOV AX, DEAD, which resulted in a patched ACPI.SYS that fixes the issue.

On 7/13/2019 at 1:04 PM, Dietmar said:

XP SP3 runs in full ACPI mode with nearly all drivers

on Ryzen 3700x

https://www.win-raid.com/t4035f45-Windows-XP-SP-bit-and-modern-PC-parts-68.html#msg82490

Dietmar

Could you modify the ACPI.sys to include silvermont support? I've tried different methods without success.

@~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

The problem for me is,

how to test acpi.sys for XP SP3 there

because I do not have this board. But because it is sold in the time when XP was still spported,

there a good chances for success,

Dietmar

PS: May be it can be done easy with fixed DSDT table. What is the exact BSOD 0xA5 (...)?

Make a copy of this DSDT table using RW everything (XP, win7, win8, win10)

and send it to me. With the nice program asl.exe the DSDT table is modded one time and stays in registry. This can be done without any ACPI, from "Standard PC".

I have tested, works for XP SP3 without any need for modified acpi.sys or hacking Bios.

Edited by Dietmar

• 2 weeks later...