Newer motherboards that support WinXP

jim2029

10 hours ago, Dietmar said:

Hi all,

in next days I get a CH341A Bios flash programer.

After reading a lot about modding Bios,

I think it is also possible, to bring full  ACPI support back to XP.

The fatal1ty z370 gaming k6 motherboard has the MX25L12873F Bios chip

and also a second Bios chip, if something bad happens during flash.

The Asrock motherboards have the best Bios support of all motherboards I think,

and because of this it is exact the right test object:)

have a nice evening

Dietmar

@dencorso: It was also a hard beginning for me. Nothing works.

But now, there is full bright light.

Actually, an old lady from Taiwan did same for my MSI z170 . Not only unlocking full ACPI support but also enabling usb 3.0 ports as usb 2.0. She is alive no more... Anyway, I am feeling sad.

Hi,

the temperature with 100% load on all 8 cores does not exceed 64 degree Celsius

during 30 min prime95 on this 9900k under XP with an very carefull installed, boxed Intel air cooler.

The temperature with the same cooler reach 100 degree on 8700k under the same conditions with XP.

So, Intel did a good job with soldering the heat spreader

Dietmar

Edited by Dietmar

59 minutes ago, Dietmar said:

Hi,

during 30 min prime95 on this 9900k under XP with an boxed Intel air cooler,

Dietmar

Windows XP on steroid master race :cool:

Congratulation

=======

BTW, I am still wondering if somebody can write a UEFI boot loader for XP.

Waaoh,

I just find a BIOS with ACPI support for XP

for Asus Apex X.

https://community.hwbot.org/topic/174849-rog-maximus-x-apex/?page=2

So, it can be done and I am curious how they reached it.

I saw a dxe file with name ACPI in it.

So I can compare original Bios ROG-MAXIMUS-X-APEX-ASUS-1704.CAP

and for XP modded Bios ROG-MAXIMUS-X-APEX-ASUS-1704_mod3.CAP

Interesting, what they change and how to come to this ideas

Dietmar

Edited by Dietmar

On 11/17/2018 at 4:12 AM, Dibya said:

Actually, an old lady from Taiwan did same for my MSI z170 . Not only unlocking full ACPI support but also enabling usb 3.0 ports as usb 2.0. She is alive no more... Anyway, I am feeling sad.

How did you contacted her?

On 11/17/2018 at 3:08 PM, Dietmar said:

Hi,

during 30 min prime95 on this 9900k under XP with an very carefull installed, boxed Intel air cooler.

The temperature with the same cooler reach 100 degree on 8700k under the same conditions with XP.

So, Intel did a good job with soldering the heat spreader

Dietmar

What settings and which version of Prime95 did you use?Maybe 2.66 or latest version? Did you tested with AVX instructions or without?

I own the 8700K (non delidded) and Noctua NH-D15S and will test it in win XP jjust to compare it to the Intel stock cooler and your 8700/9900K but its pointless if I do it without same conditions as you.

Hi deSSy2724,

I downloaded p95v294b7.win32 from https://www.mersenne.org/download/

and run "Just stress test" without any modification on all 8 cores (blend, tests of everything..)

on brandnew Intel 9900k on ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6, Corsair 3200 MHZ, nothing overclocked,

have a nice evening

Dietmar

Edited by Dietmar

On 11/22/2018 at 3:33 PM, deSSy2724 said:

How did you contacted her?

What settings and which version of Prime95 did you use?Maybe 2.66 or latest version? Did you tested with AVX instructions or without?

I own the 8700K (non delidded) and Noctua NH-D15S and will test it in win XP jjust to compare it to the Intel stock cooler and your 8700/9900K but its pointless if I do it without same conditions as you.

She died due to blood cancer. Actually she was a member over hwbot.

On 11/22/2018 at 10:21 PM, Dietmar said:

Hi deSSy2724,

I downloaded p95v294b7.win32 from https://www.mersenne.org/download/

and run "Just stress test" without any modification on all 8 cores (blend, tests of everything..)

on brandnew Intel 9900k on ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6, Corsair 3200 MHZ, nothing overclocked,

have a nice evening

Dietmar

MBO: Asrock Fatality Z370 Professional Gaming i7

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z (non RGB) 3600 CL15

CPU: i5 8700K (non delidded)

Cooler: Noctu NH-D15S (only one FAN which came from this Noctua model, no additional FAN installed)

Case: Open LIAN LI case PC - T60

Everything is on stock (nothing is overclocked), did I won the "silicon lottery" or what? I used the same version of PRIME95 as you and same settings.....  as you can see in the picture, the test started in 02:20 and ended in 08:02 (I stopped it manually). Or did I miss something?

BTW how did you manage to install the drivers for your ASMEDIA ASM3142 (same chipset as your motherboard)? Everything I tried didnt work.....

untitled.thumb.PNG.f7850498e990fc15c5251c02f07a2a76.PNG

On 11/23/2018 at 4:22 AM, Dibya said:

. She died due to blood cancer. Actually she was a member over hwbot.

Worst things happen to the best people out there (thats atleast my personal experience), really sad.......

Edited by deSSy2724

21 hours ago, deSSy2724 said:

MBO: Asrock Fatality Z370 Professional Gaming i7

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z (non RGB) 3600 CL15

CPU: i5 8700K (non delidded)

Cooler: Noctu NH-D15S (only one FAN which came from this Noctua model, no additional FAN installed)

Case: Open LIAN LI case PC - T60

Everything is on stock (nothing is overclocked), did I won the "silicon lottery" or what? I used the same version of PRIME95 as you and same settings.....  as you can see in the picture, the test started in 02:20 and ended in 08:02 (I stopped it manually). Or did I miss something?

BTW how did you manage to install the drivers for your ASMEDIA ASM3142 (same chipset as your motherboard)? Everything I tried didnt work.....

untitled.thumb.PNG.f7850498e990fc15c5251c02f07a2a76.PNG

Worst things happen to the best people out there (thats atleast my personal experience), really sad.......

This means, that the Noctua NH-D15 cooler is very good. I ordered the same one.

For to enable ASMEDIA ASM3142, you have to put all the USB*.sys drivers in folder Windows\system32\drivers.

I chose them from XP SP1 but I think other works also.

The USB driver can be USB 3.0+3.1 Drivers v1.16.41.3, but the newest version also works,

Dietmar

Bear in mind that NH-D15 and NH-15S are not the same.... the 15S is compatible with pretty much any RAM module and it comes only with one FAN (at the time of purchase, 15S price was reduced so I bought it).

Edited by deSSy2724

• 1 month later...

@Dietmar @Dibya and @deSSy2724 ... Do you think it might be possible to get XP64 running on a Fatal1ty Z370 Professional Gaming i7?

I've been finding that my need to overhaul my rig is growing a bit more urgent. I held off trying due to financial concerns. As a result, the SABERTOOTH X99 boards that @XP-x64-Lover recommended last year have all but vanished from the market. I'm in a somewhat better financial position now, and I'd like to get my XP64 rig running a more modern, DDR4-based setup.

It's due to my financial problems that I don't have a lot of money or space to spare on experimenting and potentially breaking hardware in trying to find a setup that works, so if you guys can give me pointers on if it's possible and how to do it, I'd appreciate it.

Hi,

I get all running on asrock fatal1ty z370 gaming k6.

Acpi, sound, nvme, lan, video with Nvidia card gtx 980, USB 3.1 there are drivers for XP 32 bit for this board. 64 bit XP I have not tested.

Celeron, i8700k, 9900k work there with XP.

Very stable, I think the newest, best you can get for small money and XP

Dietmar

Edited by Dietmar

10 hours ago, Dietmar said:

I get all running on asrock fatal1ty z370 gaming k6.

Acpi, sound, nvme, lan, video with Nvidia card gtx 980, USB 3.1 there are drivers for XP 32 bit for this board. 64 bit XP I have not tested.

What was your method for installing XP on the Fatal1ty? Did you have to go through a process similar to what XP-x64-Lover did for installing XP with SABERTOOTH X99?