Newer motherboards that support WinXP

jim2029

Here's one: I've been using an ASUS M5 A97 R2.0 with XP. I have a FX-8370 as the CPU. Compatibility with XP x86 and x64.

Also, I use two Intel DQ35JOE's one with a Core 2 Quad, one with a Core 2 Duo.  Compatibility With XP x86 and x64.

Those are the only Desktop boards I have newer than Pentium 4.

I don't know what happened to XP64 Lover, it seems that when MSFN went down all my recent correspondence I had including a number of topics and recent posts vanished.

However, when I asked XP64 Lover about hardware known to work with XP64, I was linked to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-SABERTOOTH-X99-LGA2011-V3-Motherboard/dp/B00VUK54F0

Asus TUF SABERTOOTH X99 LGA2011-V3 DDR4 M.2 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Type A Intel X99 ATX Motherboard, 2015 vintage. Unfortunately, because all my private messages with XP64 Lover are gone, any information on what to do in order to get the system running on one of these has vanished.

I'd be interested in finding an AMD-based motherboard though, since it's been said that AMD-based hardware is immune to two of the three variants of the Meltdown/Spectre exploits.

10 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

This seems rather unhelpful. Like showing someone a haystack that might have a needle in it and saying "go look for yourself."

I think knowing what hardware supports XP and XP64 is at least as important as knowing what latest versions of software support them, and we've certainly got threads dedicated to that.

Edited by TrevMUN
Amazon inserting a ton of URL tracking data into my link is rather annoying.

20 hours ago, i430VX said:

Here's one: I've been using an ASUS M5 A97 R2.0 with XP. I have a FX-8370 as the CPU. Compatibility with XP x86 and x64.

Also, I use two Intel DQ35JOE's one with a Core 2 Quad, one with a Core 2 Duo.  Compatibility With XP x86 and x64.

Those are the only Desktop boards I have newer than Pentium 4.

Thank You. That is exactly what I was looking for. Someone with one in their lap that they know works.

As for me, I'm interested in finding out what the most recent XP and XP64-friendly AMD hardware is, ideally something with DDR4. Last August there was some discussion on Guru3D about Ryzen's compatiblity with XP. Don't know about XP64 yet, though, and wading through the thread there means dealing with the irritating "XP? Why would you want to run that pathetic obsolete piece of junk?" smuggery. Best part is someone pointing out VM is not an option for some older games, then getting told "Just use a VM" in reply.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/installing-windows-xp-on-am4-ryzen-7.414683/page-2

I'll highlight the interesting bits so you don't have to deal with the FUD and BS:

"ASRock X370 Killer SLI, Ryzen5 1600, and the EVGA 980Ti SC+/Xtreme IV qualify for the necessary components for a good chance to install XP natively."

"Drivers exist for 900 series. It has been tested on an Intel Z270 chipset. The most important would be video and audio. Even on the High end you could use GeForce GTX 980 Ti or GeForce GTX Titan X. For other hardware a USB card could be installed to support any USB device."

"I've installed XP on a KabyLake it's a no brainer. Fully working video, audio, network, and USB. But for laptops I'd avoid since you can't install your own graphics card internally.

Chipset drivers aren't necessary to install XP. What is important is a proper SATA driver which can be modified to work to get the installation to start."

"I can confirm that XP are running even on Z370 - at least my Gigabyte MB z370 has ACPI compatible problem, so you need install it in no ACPI mode (MPS multiprocessor PC HAL) and USB and PS2 not working after 1st reboot - you need enable remote desktop for 1st login and detect network card running setup - nlite is your friend."

Unrelated to the "Will it support XP/XP64" question, this amuses me to no end:

"I managed to get Windows98Se on X99, maybe it will work even on Z370.."

We got some kindred spirits there!

1 hour ago, jim2029 said:

I just picked up a ASUS M5 A97 R2.0 on ebay with a 4 core 4.2GHz processor and ram. Thanks again for the info.

Awesome. Hope you like it.

Offhand I can't think of any. I was surprised Wayback even caught XP-x64-Lover's post! Lucky break for us.

If anyone's got confirmation of an AMD DDR4 rig working with XP (or XP64) let me know, though. I'd be very interested.

On 7/1/2018 at 3:23 AM, dencorso said:

You've got me curious: what are the VEN and DEV of your on-chip HD Graphics 530, which video driver do you use for it, and if its .inf was modified, which mods were needed? :dubbio:

I don't use Intel HD graphics . I use Nvidia gtx 980 ti .

I have made Intel HD graphics work but with lots of trouble . I used that Intel Hardwell release for xp embedded and added all device IDs . I installed it from devicemanager but nothing works but when installed it from safe mode voila . It started to work . Bios mod needed for ACPI and USB2.0 . You need slight bios mod . One Taiwanese friend of me from hwbot forum did it for me .

X79 and X99 boards are excellent after Z77 to support XP!. of course they are too costly to buy which I cannot afford.

You can get Nvidia gtx750 cheeper than anything to get video work. Intel HD graphics is not good in my opinion but iHD graphics are overkill for day to day tasks.