Problem with partitions Windows 10

bookie32

Hi guys!

I have a customer with Asus Pro Gaming Z170 motherboard and when I installed Windows 10 I let Microsoft create the necessary partitions because there are two hard drives an SSD is being for the system drive and a separate sata drive is used  for customer files etc...

The problem is since the 1803 upgrade the start partition 450 MB's has been allocated a letter...letter E and it can't be removed in the standard way...if I mark the partition I just get a "help" window and not the removing of system letters....

What do I do to remove this

bookie32

bild-2a.png

bild-1a.png

The partition ID "needed"  to have NOT a drive letter assigned is "27" (when the disk is "MBR style").

The corresponding GPT ID should be :unsure: the one used for the recovery environment, i.e. DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC

But that partition is not (anymore) a "start partition", for whatever reason the "boot" (what MS calls "system") is the 99 MB sized one (which is FAT32, as it normally is the "boot" partition on EFI systems, unless the specific motherboard dirmware has a EFI NTFS driver).

So, what exactrly is on that 450 Mb partition? (it is not used in booting)

Maybe you had the machine earlier running as BIOS/MBR and then you converted it to UEFI/GPT?

jaclaz

Yeah I need the detail part, not vol. If that GUID is present already (the one jaclaz posted) then it would show in there.

If the ID is not present, then in diskpart you can run:

sel part x
set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"

yet there is also an attribute used, and this command (which has 14 zeroes in it)

gpt attributes=0x800000000000001

Which are the commands used during deployment onto a recovery partition. In typical use, this partition is not visible after a restart from explorer, despite assigning a letter to it during deployment.

However, there is the possibility that Windows (or the diskpart in Windows) will not allow for these commands to be run, and then they would need to be run using a WinPE instead. BUT I have hestitation to direct you to run these commands on that partition, as I have never had to run them in this scenario. There is the possibility that running them could cause the OS not to boot. So I would recommend that a known good disk image be created before attempting anything like this.

Hi guys!

I am busy building a summer cottage at the moment....

On 6/22/2018 at 5:54 PM, jaclaz said:

The partition ID "needed"  to have NOT a drive letter assigned is "27" (when the disk is "MBR style").

The corresponding GPT ID should be :unsure: the one used for the recovery environment, i.e. DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC

But that partition is not (anymore) a "start partition", for whatever reason the "boot" (what MS calls "system") is the 99 MB sized one (which is FAT32, as it normally is the "boot" partition on EFI systems, unless the specific motherboard dirmware has a EFI NTFS driver).

So, what exactrly is on that 450 Mb partition? (it is not used in booting)

Maybe you had the machine earlier running as BIOS/MBR and then you converted it to UEFI/GPT?

jaclaz

This was a new installation when the customer bought the computer and we haven't changed anything since then....apart from Windows 10 upgrading through the different verisions....can't remember exactly the version we installed at the time.... So when creating partitions on the ssd I let Microsoft create the necessary ones and not me creating them individually....so we haven't done a conversion from BIOS/MBR to UEFI/GPT afterwards....and the customer is just a novice....he wouln't and hasn't changed things....

I will try to get back to you later today....got to get on with my cottage...got a company coming tomorrow to lift up the main support joist in position...so need to get the last bits ready.....

Thanks as always for your time!

bookie32

Kollade lite gm plintarna placering - fick det till 28,8 så ungf 30m2. ovanligt att inte ha golvet på plats, men å andra sidan inte så mycket att skydda vid regn...

better go back to english; Good luck with the rest of the house. Not to forget the "taklagsfesten" :thumbup

Probably a good idea....;) Your maths is right....

We are leaving the floor until I get the main joist and roof on.....no point at the moment....

The main cottage will have a small kitchen, bedroom and main living area...with a small loft above the kitchen and bedroom.....

So...we keep on track with this thread I will send you a link when more pics are on onedrive....Just coming up to my 62nd birthday in July...didn't expect to be building a cottage....we bought a "kolonistuga" last year and it had so much wrong with it we had to take it down.....so my partners idea of us having somewhere to grow veg and relax will have to wait a couple of years.....There is a glimpse of a second smaller cottage still in place as a storage hut at the moment and then with some of the original cottage build a smaller 10m2 one that will be the toilet shower and storage area for garden tools...

Not many new cottages are built....from scratch so all our neighbours are keen to see what happens....;)

bookie32

Back on the case of the partition problem....

I have seen that many have complained of my customer's problem since updating to 1803....

I am attaching a pic with the relevant info:

To me it seems contradictory....

I have read threads where some have done the same as me and remove the letter but it is there again after reboot...another thing is it keeps giving warnings for full partition....pic-1.PNG

Edited by bookie32

The partition attribute has likely changed. You can try to run the attributes command I put in my previous post.

I am not certain "how" the attributes work. MS only lists 4 or 5 of them and of course the one I put earlier is not there. I am wondering becuase 0x1 is "required" and 0x8000000000000000 is "no drive letter" if the 0x8000000000000001 is a combination of the two. :dubbio: