Problem with partitions Windows 10

bookie32

Thanks Tripredacus!

I gave it the attribute 0x8000000000000000 and then removed the letter assigned via diskpart and it wasn't there after reboot...nice fix...:D

bookie32

38 minutes ago, bookie32 said:

Thanks Tripredacus!

I gave it the attribute 0x8000000000000000 and then removed the letter assigned via diskpart and it wasn't there after reboot...nice fix...:D

bookie32

Should be 0x8000000000000001, not 0x8000000000000000.

https://superuser.com/questions/1108243/setting-winre-windows-recovery-environment-flag-on-partitions

jaclaz

Yes I agree but with that attribute I couldn't remove the assigned letter....

I tried that attribute and then removed the assigned letter but after reboot it was back...

So, I don't know why it worked the way I did it... I will try again to make sure....

Thanks for your reply!

bookie32

22 minutes ago, bookie32 said:

Yes I agree but with that attribute I couldn't remove the assigned letter....

I tried that attribute and then removed the assigned letter but after reboot it was back...

So, I don't know why it worked the way I did it... I will try again to make sure....

Thanks for your reply!

bookie32

In case you can try the other way round, i.e. first remove the drive letter with mountvol (this, unless the flag already starts with 0x80... will be only temporary until next reboot), then change the attribute flag with diskpart.

jaclaz

2 hours ago, bookie32 said:

Thanks jaclaz!

That worked.....;)

bookie32

Good. :)

Now that the issue is solved, we can comment wondering what (the heck) the good MS guys "touched" related to GPT partitioning and/or Disk Manager and/or  Mount Manager (or Explorer) "touched" to create the issue (which seemingly is not an isolated case, but happened to lots of people).

That partitioning scheme wth the "recovery" partition is AFAICR the same - suggested by MS themselves in official documentation - since Windows 8 (i,e- circa 2012) and in themselves the behaviours of the involved subsystems is the same since the dawn of time on NT systems. :dubbio:

Thet "invented" the 27 and then the DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC (and conversely the 0x8000000000000001) and now they don't even respect it? :w00t:

jaclaz

I don't really spend time "wondering" about anything Microsoft does these days....it is just one continuous nightmare....:realmad:

1 minute ago, jaclaz said:

Good. :)

Now that the issue is solved, we can comment wondering what (the heck) the good MS guys "touched" related to GPT partitioning and/or Disk Manager and/or  Mount Manager (or Explorer) "touched" to create the issue (which seemingly is not an isolated case, but happened to lots of people).

That partitioning scheme wth the "recovery" partition is AFAICR the same - suggested by MS themselves in official documentation - since Windows 8 (i,e- circa 2012) and in themselves the behaviours of the involved subsystems is the same since the dawn of time on NT systems. :dubbio:

Thet "invented" the 27 and then the DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC (and conversely the 0x8000000000000001) and now they don't even respect it? :w00t:

jaclaz

bookie32

6 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Similar to this issue I replicated with the Windows 8.1 update on GPT disks, where the original recovery partition had attributes of 0x8000000000000001, then after the update, Windows changed those attributes to 0x8000000000000000, and then created an additional recovery partition with 0x8000000000000001.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/169284-windows-81-creates-2nd-recovery-partition/

• 3 weeks later...