blank icons on the left panel

mirel3000

Sometimes after I add new software, the icon will disappear. Usually when I install new software, I take the automatically created desktop icon and pin it to start. After doing that, the icon disappears. When I move the icon back to the desktop, it will be blank there as well, from now on. Even though in the properties of the executable you can still see the original icon. Using that default icon from now on doesn't work, and I'm forced to download a different .ico file and use that. 

This has happened on lots of versions of StartIsBack, on lots of versions of Windows 10.

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by mirel3000

Clean up and/or rebuild icon cache. If don't help, clean up and repair registry, it may be damaged or not cleaned. There shouldn't be any other reason.
But if You mean this what I can see ie "Halo Wars", then there isn't any icons and shouldnt be also, because in this case is used thumbnails.
Excuse me, however, everything indicates, that your computer needs regular cleaning and maintenance.

Normally, an application that puts an icon on the desktop should also add an icon to the start menu (unless you explicitly chose not to have it do that in one of the install dialogues).

I do have some programmes which do not add any icons at all (software like O&O Shutup, which doesn't come with an installer). In such cases I right-click-drag the icon into the 'All programs' list, which gives you the option of adding a link to the programme in question. Doing this has never given me any problems.

Pin to Start Menu will add a link to the left pane of the menu, which is mostly populated by your 'most frequently used apps'. Most of those links will be removed if you use one of those privacy cleaning programmes, like BleachBit or CCleaner. Perhaps this somehow contributes to your problem.

In any case, cleaning the registry is something you do not, normally, need to do. CCleaner and the like are blunt tools which will also remove entries that Windows automatically regenerates afterwards. I've never actually seen running such softwares improve the performance of my PC. If the registry genuinely needs fixing, therefore, I'd first consider using Microsoft's own repair options such as a reinstall of the operating system.

On 6/23/2018 at 2:02 AM, kaljukass said:

Clean up and/or rebuild icon cache. If don't help, clean up and repair registry, it may be damaged or not cleaned. There shouldn't be any other reason.
But if You mean this what I can see ie "Halo Wars", then there isn't any icons and shouldnt be also, because in this case is used thumbnails.
Excuse me, however, everything indicates, that your computer needs regular cleaning and maintenance.

I rebuilt it before and I did it now. And it doesn't work. Also, I don't think my computer needs regular cleaning and maintenance! I keep it clean and tidy myself without the use of tools like CCleaner. I don't even trust those tools. I keep plenty of space on my SATA HD, it's defragmented automatically regularly, the SDD seems to be ok (and not full), I have 16gb of RAM and if I install a virus or malware scanner every few months, it encounters less than 10 minor things.

On 6/23/2018 at 9:11 AM, Aethelflaed said:

Pin to Start Menu will add a link to the left pane of the menu, which is mostly populated by your 'most frequently used apps'. Most of those links will be removed if you use one of those privacy cleaning programmes, like BleachBit or CCleaner. Perhaps this somehow contributes to your problem.

In any case, cleaning the registry is something you do not, normally, need to do. CCleaner and the like are blunt tools which will also remove entries that Windows automatically regenerates afterwards. I've never actually seen running such softwares improve the performance of my PC. If the registry genuinely needs fixing, therefore, I'd first consider using Microsoft's own repair options such as a reinstall of the operating system.

I forgot this is what that panel is supposed to, yeah. I've been using it to pin my own programs instead of letting it populate automically by whatever I open. But even so, the max number of recent programs there is set automatically to 10 bij StartIsBack. I never touch that option. I dó muck around in the registry, not with those tools but with registry edits. I wonder if it's any of these. I háve been using this same list on my previous laptop and StartIsBack also had one blank icon on that laptop after a install. It's also always a new icon I add after a certain amount. 

I guess I could re-enable all the edits (I also have the restore fixes for every single one), then see if the icon returns. If so, enable one and restart and repeat until I find one is causing it. But that would take tons of time.. I don't think after enabling the culprit regfix the blank icon will appear right away, because after installing a new program it retains it's original icon for at least a few hours or so.

Clipboard01.jpg

Well, you've got a few which appear to relate to the ability to pin items to the taskbar ('remove_taskbar_pinned_programs', 'Remove_pin-to-start-context_menu', etc.), so you might want to start there.

Edited by Aethelflaed

• 8 months later...

Just wanted to say I decided to install StartIsBack on my work laptop. A laptop where I don't fiddle around with registry fixes and what not. Right after I installed it though, the icon for Outlook in the start menu disappeared. Interesting how I have the same problem on a different laptop.