Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
TmEE

SYS.COM from 98SE for ME

Ever since I switched to WinME from 98SE there's been the problem of inability to create bootable drives from it because SYS.COM only allows C: to be SYS'd. Couple days ago I was faced with the problem again and while attempting to make ME's SYS.COM play nice I gave up and took file from 98SE and made it check for DOS 8.00 instead of 7.10 (change of two bytes), it was the easiest thing I could do without digging any deeper and it provided a satisfactory result.

It did complain that it could not copy COMMAND.COM to the drive being SYS'd but manual copy fixed that and there were no problems afterwards.

Maybe someone will find it useful : http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES/SYS.COM

• Upvote 1

As a side note, what happens with Format /S?

jaclaz

How about seeing if you can activate or add the code inside format.com that's supposed to handle the /Z command-line argument.  /Z:n specifies the cluster size in multiples of 512 bytes.   So that, for example, you can format a 250, 500 gb fat32 drive and use 4k, 8k cluster size instead of the default 32k.  And while your at it, make sure the clusters are aligned on sector boundaries.

My RFORMAT Program can set arbitrary Cluster Sizes and can align to 4K or other Boundaries.

20 hours ago, rloew said:

My RFORMAT Program can set arbitrary Cluster Sizes and can align to 4K or other Boundaries.

Is your rformat program in the public domain?

On 3/6/2018 at 4:16 PM, jaclaz said:

As a side note, what happens with Format /S?

jaclaz

No clue, I don't use built in Format on anything but floppies due to no quick format for things like HDDs or SSDs etc. (and on that particular machine there are no floppy drives or even means to add them other than USB).

3rd party tools don't seem to be able to install a boot sector and transfer MS-DOS to the drive/partition which is why SYS.COM is still relevant to me, and now at least with ME one annoyance it had is worked around to good enough state and maybe someone else finds the solution satisfactory too.

Maybe one day I'll see about making my own formatting tools etc. but for the time being existing solutions are satisfactory and I'll put my energy into more immediate concerns lol. Last annoyances with ME are lack of EMS support within Windows DOS boxes and no "restart in MS-DOS mode" in shut down dialog. IO.SYS seems to indicate that there is support for entering and exiting MS-DOS mode, or at least I saw the strings that 98 uses in the particular situation.

4 hours ago, TmEE said:

No clue, I don't use built in Format on anything but floppies due to no quick format for things like HDDs or SSDs etc. (and on that particular machine there are no floppy drives or even means to add them other than USB).

3rd party tools don't seem to be able to install a boot sector and transfer MS-DOS to the drive/partition which is why SYS.COM is still relevant to me, and now at least with ME one annoyance it had is worked around to good enough state and maybe someone else finds the solution satisfactory too.

Maybe one day I'll see about making my own formatting tools etc. but for the time being existing solutions are satisfactory and I'll put my energy into more immediate concerns lol. Last annoyances with ME are lack of EMS support within Windows DOS boxes and no "restart in MS-DOS mode" in shut down dialog. IO.SYS seems to indicate that there is support for entering and exiting MS-DOS mode, or at least I saw the strings that 98 uses in the particular situation.

Well, up to 6.22 there was a requirement that IO.SYS had to be the FIRST file on the FAT.

Starting with 7.0 this requirement was levied (and in any case Bootpart by Gilles Vollant would be able to fix that).

So to transfer the System files you can well use attrib and copy. (just in case of need).

And - as a further side note - FREEDOS' SYS,COM does have a /OEM:W9x switch that transfers DOS files (for Windows 95 and 98, might work for Me also, but didn't test it).

jaclaz

That requirement on 6.22 stems from the boot sector which didn't have any code to search for the relevant file, it just assumed it was in one specific place which makes touching IO.SYS potentially dangerous. 9x boot sector will search for the file though exact method I don't know, I haven't made any attempts to look what is going on there, in any case you can move the files over in whatever way you want and things will work. I suppose one can also look at boot sector management tools for getting newly made drives bootable also, just move over previously extracted boot sector and copy over the MS-DOS files.

I keep forgetting FreeDOS exists, I actually use it's KEYB.COM equivalent for Dvorak layout as microsoft's one requires codepage things to match and uses more memory too in addition to that and I think I never got it to work on ME either. I should look into replacing the default scancode to charcode table so that additional utils wouldn't be needed...

On 3/6/2018 at 1:16 AM, TmEE said:

Ever since I switched to WinME from 98SE there's been the problem of inability to create bootable drives from it because SYS.COM only allows C: to be SYS'd. Couple days ago I was faced with the problem again and while attempting to make ME's SYS.COM play nice I gave up and took file from 98SE and made it check for DOS 8.00 instead of 7.10 (change of two bytes), it was the easiest thing I could do without digging any deeper and it provided a satisfactory result.

It did complain that it could not copy COMMAND.COM to the drive being SYS'd but manual copy fixed that and there were no problems afterwards.

Maybe someone will find it useful : http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES/SYS.COM

Just to be clear, running this from WinME GUI unmodified after fresh install copied the crippled versions of COMMAND.COM and IO.SYS  with removed real mode and no booting.

I copied over the IO.SYS and COMMNAND.COM from  tools\nettools\fac (extract from *.dta files)  directory in the WinMe Cd, overwriting the relevant ones on the HD.

io.sys - 35d8554b736e6d03960a0d158ac293e5701e7640  (from tools\nettools\fac) note this version is different to the one on the EDB and the non-bootable version. It can be used to install and boot from HD and floppy/USB/CD etc with no hex modification.

command.com -  9a21712e64c4d498b70880b419104aed8a732ffd - same as one from EDB.

That's another matter entirely, and I do use the non crippled files so I can get proper DOS boot in the first place. I even made a tool to automate the process.