Drivers for HP Pavillion xt115

cov3rt

so i am about done experimenting with windows 95 on the hp pavillion xt115, i am gonna be preparing it for 98SE, there were too many incompatibilities and problems on 95 OSR 2.5 for practical usability or support. 

but i was gonna go ahead and still give some info on the experimenting. i did not test the ethernet, version "5.00.0124.0" as it was supposed to be working for it's hardware id of - VEN_100B&DEV_0020, however, i noticed the device in device manager wouldn't detect the inf, it may have to do with needing to manually add the entire hardware id path to the inf, however, i went ahead and used a different inf, which included only an ndis4 sys file and the inf file, but not ndis3 files apparently, the driver installed and listed as working in device manager but i did not test to confirm it actually works. 

the audio worked "partially", i used a specific package that had several big files like gm.dls, "pciven_10B9&dev_5451" is the audio id, the audio worked partially due to the volume icon missing and an error complaining about it missing when i tried to manually check the option in the multimedia control panel app, i had the same issue with another audio device before, though i do not remember if it was the same hardware id and / or same OS. 

sorry if i dont have driver versions, just a lot of work to go back and forth with things, but i do remember that the original audio driver i used, it didn't work at all and caused a error related to out of memory issues, i did not try the newest driver for the audio which appears to be somewhere in 2001 for some of the files in the package. 

cardbus for o2micro 6912 caused code 29 error and the same happened to the extension for the toshiba mini pci wireless card "PCMCIA\TOSHIBA-Wireless_LAN_Card-E5D7" that requires installing ac50 of the 1410 cardbus controller, sorry for giving abbreviations or shortened names but im just assuming people know which devices i am talking about. 

usb controller wouldn't install for the ali controller with xusbsupp ( maybe caused by the via pci bus management fix that i wasn't supposed to install? ). 

smartvsd.vxd error when trying to run hdd health 2.1

wsc guard 4.0 gives error message "your operating system is not yet supported by wsc guard", latest version
of comctl32.dll i had was 5.81 prior, wsc guard 4.0 lists 5.82.2600.0 in dependency walker 2.2 x86, i did not test 5.82.2600.0

odyssey client 4.56 installed but on reboot seemed to hang endlessly on the windows 95 splash screen, odyssey client 4.56 listed comctl32.dll 6.0.2600.0 in dependency walker, when i tested by overwriting comctl32.dll in dos mode to 6.0.2600.0 that i downloaded off some random dll site ( probably not safe ), upon rebooting, windows hanged and wouldn't load all the way and said system is busy when pressing ctrl+alt delete. i suspect either 6.0.2600.0 is simply not properly supported in windows 95 and / or the dll file i used was a virus? 

when going into safe mode to check earlier when i didn't have 6.0.2600.0 comctl32.dll and had only installed odyssey client 4.56, when i wanted to open the odyssey client app in control panel, it gave the error message "odyssey client manager user interface could not be loaded. error code: 
0x80040154"

"VisualBasic6-KB896559-v1-ENU" installed on windows 95 but even though it said successfully installed common controls 6.0 at the end, it seemed to not install anything! i tried to manually register the comctl32.ocx and mscomctl32.ocx files in various ways to which i thought may work and instructed from a few sites ( as a noob in general of course ), but it wouldn't work and would just give an error saying bad file name. 

other than that too, the radeon 7000 ve driver 4.13.9003 would not work as an alternative way of getting the igp 340m to work ( the laptop uses the igp 340m gpu ) with hardware id ending in 4337. i did test two different igp 340m drivers with no luck, also the host bridge rs200m had a yellow exclamation mark 

Edited by cov3rt

well now that i have had windows 98SE installed on the laptop, it has better support, i was able to get "everything" to work except for the pci card for modem and pci network controller for intel pro 2100 3b wireless adapter that have the code 29 error in device manager as pictured below. this laptop has poor support in general for various operating systems, i checked a manual earlier before getting the laptop and i assumed it would come with via twister graphics and / or the prism 2.5 mini pci wireless adapter as that was mentioned in the manual but when i received it, it didn't even have internal wifi antennas which i found odd. 

i had to install with acpi disabled, "setup /p i", and it was able to successfully finish setup, without doing so caused the system to keep freezing at around the 16% mark for the hardware part. i don't think installing in a different way would fix the code 29 issues or could it? i would assume that if the bios is the problem which is being indicated as such, then you wouldn't be able to alter what is going in windows unless you were to get a bios update which is unlikely there are any and it's too much work to find one, yet alone see if it would do a difference, considering i already installed the bios, probably not the best to update the bios now anyways. 

another issue is not knowing whether or some things worked earlier such as the unofficial service pack 3.63, during install phase, towards the end, the wait or end task error popped up, i choose wait several times, but it wouldn't progress, i selected end task and it said the unofficial service pack was finished and prompted to restart with yes or no, but then the other wait and end task already restarted the system at the same time, so i wasn't sure if the service pack installed 100 percent properly and if this affected the system in any way, this system was the only one i ever had an issue like this. 

i also had to install the vga display adapter in the have disk way or else in invalid operation or related error would occur if changing vga display adapter without using the have disk way and manually selecting the rs200m gpu. gart9x installs by running the setup, the cursor blinks a few times and stops after a little, and you can find out it installs the necessary drivers by checking device manager, then for me, i restarted the system and installed the gpu and all worked fine for that portion. 

if there is any hope in trying to get it to work properly while currently installed or maybe re-install with a certain setup switch or other solution for the code 29 issues, please let me know, btw, i tried to manually assign free resources for both pci devices with the code 29 errors and it wouldn't change anything, i even installed the driver for the pci card modem and it just sits there with the code 29 error. 

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

i was wondering if anyone knows if there is a performance difference between using ndis4 and ndis5 drivers in windows 98SE, i just checked the ethernet package that is supported for the ethernet adapter of this laptop, i am currently using the ndis5 driver version "5.0.135.21b" but i am seeing extremely slow ethernet download speeds, the highest is about 40 KB/s, i thought that maybe the cpu, ram or gpu were the problem but i suspect it may actually be the ethernet driver. 

btw, i did test youtube on firefox 9.01 and it worked, although extremely slow / and freezing due to the possible causes i just explained. i think that maybe a different driver may give more significant performance increase for the ethernet, i tested a newer one that seemed to cause a code 24 or error mentioning to try changing the driver i think, i discarded that driver and so i don't remember the exact version, but it was a ndis5 one that listed 98 in the inf. 

google does not seem to bring any direct explanations for difference between ndis4 and ndis5. also, i could locate any driver to download that has the exact hardware id of the ethernet which is "PCI\VEN_100B&DEV_0020&SUBSYS_54003C08", i left out the "rev" part.