Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

JTB3

Thank You Big Muscle For New Aero Glass Build 1.5.8

Many thanks @bigmuscle for releasing the new AeroGlass build 1.5.8! :)
It will take me a day or so to (re)upgrade my W10 system to RS3, so I can test it - but I'm trusting it will be awesome!

5a95a4761a4aa_Aero_Glass_for_Win8_-_Google_Chrome_2018-02-27_10_27_21.png.edb901b54bbeb34e5944e6b52bfc0def.png

Much appreciated,  -JT

Edited by JTB3
  • Like 3

@bigmuscle I also just noticed in the changelog that you also did some forward-thinking work towards the upcoming W10 RS4 release!  This is so appreciated!  It would be so nice to be able to do feature upgrades for Windows 10 in a timely fashion, and not have to wait months and months for the official Aero Glass releases (I can appreciate that you also have other priorities too!).

ScreenClip.png.c288ced8ab0faa928166d431d02e87f9.png

Keep the great progress going, and many many thanks! :)
-JT

Edited by JTB3
  • Like 4

Thank you @bigmuscle works great on my system and I don't see these glitches anymore so far, your work is much appreciated :)

• Like 1

Upgraded my W10 system to RS3 and pleased to report that Aero Glass 1.5.8 is working great! :D
Kudos to @bigmuscle !  -JT

Posted (edited)

Thanks BigMuscle!

No  longer getting the glitch where when I write on message boards the text goes blank while I'm trying to type :)

Edited by Zod
  • Like 1

Thanks, can't wait to try it out.  Can I just install this over the top of 1.5.7 or do I have to uninstall it first?  Cheers.

Installed easily without any special effort.  No need to uninstall first.

Just running the Aero Glass GUI tool restored my custom theme atlas.

Nice work, Big Muscle.

-Noel

• Like 1

Many thanks BigMuscle.  Windows 10 just wouldn't be the same without your hard work.

• Like 1

That's kind of an understatement.  Windows 10, and even 8.1 would have complete non-starters for me without Aero Glass.

I kind of wonder, though...  If there were no awesome 3rd party developers like Big Muscle pushing it over the edge to being acceptable to folks where it simply would not be otherwise, would Microsoft have realized they could not actually "do no wrong" and have actually kept the desktop more elegant themselves?  You have to admit, Win 10 looks pretty stupid with that flat, square lack-of-theme.

-Noel

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when it decided to ditch Aero Glass.  I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I 'upgraded' my PCs from Windows 7 to 8.  The dull, mundane look of the UI took me back to the days of Windows 2000.

What BigMuscle has contributed towards restoring the look is fundamental.  If it weren't for his hard work, I would have resorted to using WindowBlinds, which, seems to be a memory hog, and, doesn't work as well as it should given the asking price for it + premium themes.

For a time after Windows 8 was released, I had thought that Microsoft would realize that they messed up (and would work to patch Aero Glass back in), but then Windows 10 came out, and now I'm convinced that they won't bother listening to the countless requests to implement Aero Glass back in for W32-based apps at least (UWP apps they might).

So yeah, BigMuscle's work has been invaluable in this regard - I can't stress that enough.  And that's why I'm proud to have donated to the cause + will do so again for the work to continue.  And Microsoft clearly doesn't appreciate the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Sad story indeed (but thank goodness that BigMuscle stepped in).

Edited by sbkw1983
  • Like 2

On 19. 3. 2018 at 4:51 PM, sbkw1983 said:

I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when it decided to ditch Aero Glass.  I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I 'upgraded' my PCs from Windows 7 to 8.  The dull, mundane look of the UI took me back to the days of Windows 2000.

In reality, majority of GPUs handle composition with glass effect just fine. But in the end the choice for the lowest common denominator was there to stay. When you think about the fact that removal took collaboration between 9 departments, then it was re-implemented single-handedly by @bigmuscle. Just wow! And the ability to configure it to one's liking is always a plus.

This is strange, the talk about there being no time to implement a flip-switch. Windows 7 actually has transparency switch in Window Color and Appearance panel.

Or the thing about boot process on Windows 8+ being so fast there's no time to register F8 keypress at startup. Documentation about BCD setting bootmenupolicy states that in default state, the keypress is ignored. But that's not what they said when they were promoting Windows 8.

On 19. 3. 2018 at 4:51 PM, sbkw1983 said:

And Microsoft clearly doesn't appreciate the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Seems that larger amount of obvious bugs manage to slip through these days. Breaking something in the code is really easy. Developers always tend to find things that could be done differently, for better or worse, then a buggy update is released and people rant about it on the internet.

I know in this case you meant the design decision to remove Aero Glass. For some of these decisions, we're lucky to get a really good alternative. Aero Glass didn't have as much configuration options in Windows 7/Vista, did it? I remember some hacked Windows 7 DWM DLLs floating around that make window frames completely transparent.

• Like 2

Such "revelations" themselves could be fake news.

Personally I think Microsoft is doing no less than trying to ruin Windows on purpose.  They don't want the responsibility of being in the operating system business any more.

-Noel

13 hours ago, NoelC said:

Personally I think Microsoft is doing no less than trying to ruin Windows on purpose.  They don't want the responsibility of being in the operating system business any more.

You're still at it!  LOL

• Like 1