aero glass for version 1803

I ended up trying the GUI and fortunately it worked.

What does the "Install Aero Glass theme" option do? I tried to install the program with and without it and didn't notice any difference.

edit: I got it - it's the actual png file, the atlas.

Edited by Octopuss

On 8/8/2018 at 10:33 PM, AdamW said:

Haha, sorry, I've never made a tutorial video.  Let me just repost sbkw1983's directions (which were clear), but substitute in my new link and a few other clarifications that helped me:

...[EDIT:]  1) Go to C:\AeroGlass\  and create a folder called "symbols" (if you don't already have one)...  inside the "symbols" folder, create another folder literally named "dwmcore.pdb"  (This is a FOLDER you create, not a FILE)...  thus you should have a folder location as such:  'C:\AeroGlass\symbols\dwmcore.pdb'   - this is where you will *always* put your symbols files when Windows updates them

2) A new folder in 'C:\AeroGlass\symbols\dwmcore.pdb' needs to be created named as follows: [EDIT for version 17134.191:]    19D3E7CB2A1CC40D03B2B9A57D62097F1

3) A new 'dwmcore.pdb' needs to be downloaded from the following link: [EDIT for version 17134.191:]   http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols/dwmcore.pdb/19D3E7CB2A1CC40D03B2B9A57D62097F1/dwmcore.pdb

4) [EDIT:  It will actually download a *.BLOB file.]   The downloaded .BLOB file needs to be renamed 'dwmcore.pdb' and copied to the folder created in the second step  [EDIT: in here:  'C:\AeroGlass\symbols\dwmcore.pdb\19D3E7CB2A1CC40D03B2B9A57D62097F1\' ].

5) Once you've put your new dwmcore.pdb file in that new folder, then click the 'retry' button in the 'incompatibility' popup window and it should work.
Again, this method originally came from sbkw1983's post here, so he deserves the thanks.  I just updated it for the new update (based on info from NoelC here).  So please visit their posts and put thanks/likes.

Thanks!  After today's Windows 10 v1803 cumulative update to OS Build 17134.228, my AeroGlass got the dreaded error "Aero Glass for Win8.1 + Incompatibility issue... Aero Glass does not know how to hook your version of DWM (0x81)."

I was able to fix the error/issue by following the same instructions (above) that worked for OS Build 17134.191

Many Thanks! -JT :cheerleader:

Edited by JTB3

On 6/24/2018 at 9:17 PM, sbkw1983 said:

Do you use Winaero Tweaker at all?  It can be downloaded from www.winaero.com

I believe that it can be use to reduce the border sizes, which, may render the result more to your liking.

To literally delete the borders, it would ideally be done in PhotoShop.  I can try to work something up for you but I need at least 24 hours to do so.

========================================================================

Do you not like the borders because you find the color of each to be different from the top (titlebar)?

If yes, then you may want first to consider using the following registry file (01_DWM_007.reg) to match the colors.

If you do use it, I highly recommend that you do a Restore Point first as a precaution against something unanticipated going wrong (it shouldn't, but better to be safe than sorry).

After I apply it, assuming I haven't deactivated/disabled Windows UAC, I run regedit.exe (and then close it) in order to see the changes.

Also, I have attached a second registry file ([WIN_7] METRICS.reg) in case you wish to reduce the titlebar button sizes to appear closer to those of Windows 7.  Again, I recommend a Restore Point prior to its usage, and I usually restart my PC after I apply it rather than logging off and back on.

Edit: [WIN_10] METRICS.reg is if you wish to revert back to the default Windows 10 metrics.

Keep me posted - I'll be checking back in later today, ciao for now.

[WIN_7] METRICS.reg

01_DWM_007.reg

[WIN_10] METRICS.reg

Hey! How can I reduce the borders? I have set the BorderWidth and PaddedBorderWidth to 0 in WindowMetrics. This gives thin borders in most places but Action Center, Wifi, Calendar, Volume popups have very big ugly borders. How can I change it? I would be happy if someone could help me.

This is the same problem I have.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/174470-on-windows-10-is-there-a-way-to-get-rid-of-the-clear-borders-here/

Thanks!

Windows Settings and Edge (which I take it you are referring to) are both 'modern apps'. They draw their title bars in a different way.

Edited by Aethelflaed
Answer to second question integrated.

On 8/16/2018 at 11:58 AM, timia said:

Hey! How can I reduce the borders? I have set the BorderWidth and PaddedBorderWidth to 0 in WindowMetrics. This gives thin borders in most places but Action Center, Wifi, Calendar, Volume popups have very big ugly borders. How can I change it? I would be happy if someone could help me.

This is the same problem I have.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/174470-on-windows-10-is-there-a-way-to-get-rid-of-the-clear-borders-here/

Thanks!

Hey timia.

I believe that the borders in question can only be modified by way of editing Windows Visual Style Files - each of which, contain the *.msstyles file extension.

In order to do so, the only software I know of which MIGHT be able to modify the borders in question is Windows Style Builder.  I say 'MIGHT' because I'm not certain how compatible it is with Windows 10 in general.  I'm going to purchase a license this weekend and go from there.  I'll be sure to keep you posted.

On 8/20/2018 at 8:07 AM, Octopuss said:

I have no idea if this was brought up before, but is it normal or a bug that Settings window doesn't have rounded top corners - actually completely unaffected top bar?

Apologies to Aethelflaed for essentially repeating what he stated, nevertheless, I too would like to stress that the Settings window - as well as the latest version of Microsoft Office and UWP apps in general - are rendered differently compared to W32 apps.  This is why they appear to be unaffected (or only partially affected) by AeroGlass and/or custom (third party) themes.

Do you mean the Vista Stylebuilder? You will need the Beta version. I actually tried using it myself some time ago, but never really figured out how it worked.

There's a fairly useful thread on the issues you might encounter here: https://www.vistastylebuilder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2430.0

4 hours ago, sbkw1983 said:

Hey timia.

I believe that the borders in question can only be modified by way of editing Windows Visual Style Files - each of which, contain the *.msstyles file extension.

In order to do so, the only software I know of which MIGHT be able to modify the borders in question is Windows Style Builder.  I say 'MIGHT' because I'm not certain how compatible it is with Windows 10 in general.  I'm going to purchase a license this weekend and go from there.  I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I mean, different aero lite themes have different border thicknesses. So, how are they doing it? I use square corners theme which has the least thickness. The windows 7 theme has the thickest. I want to use windows 7 theme with square corners' thickness level.

Please do let me know. Thanks a lot. Appreciate it.

5 hours ago, Aethelflaed said:

Do you mean the Vista Stylebuilder? You will need the Beta version. I actually tried using it myself some time ago, but never really figured out how it worked.

There's a fairly useful thread on the issues you might encounter here: https://www.vistastylebuilder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2430.0

Indeed, that's the one.  I don't mean to sound arrogant, but how hard can it be to use?  I'll find out this weekend.

I have a fair amount of experience with Stardock's WindowBlinds' counterpart (SkinStudio).  Hopefully it's relatively similar (point and click for the most part).

One thing is for certain: I no longer use WindowBlinds.  Don't get me wrong: I admire Stardock's attempts to code a skinning engine for multiple versions of Windows, but in the process, many of their better (master) skins increasingly suffer from bugs as a result of (mainly) deprecated features.

They ought to to start over and focus solely on Windows 10 + keep it streamlined.  Just my two cents.

Edited by sbkw1983

3 hours ago, timia said:

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I mean, different aero lite themes have different border thicknesses. So, how are they doing it? I use square corners theme which has the least thickness. The windows 7 theme has the thickest. I want to use windows 7 theme with square corners' thickness level.

You're very welcome.  I suspect that there's a tree for the taskbar, and then another one for the start menu, and so forth.  Or am I wrong?  Either way, I'll know for sure soon enough.

I have found another way to solve the problem.

First install Debugging Tools for Windows 10, and then save the code below as symbols.cmd

32 bit:

MKDIR %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dlls

CD C:\Windows\System32

XCOPY "dwmcore.dll" %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dlls

CD C:\Program Files\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x86

SYMCHK /r %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dlls /s SRV*C:\AeroGlass\symbols\*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

RD /S /Q "%userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dlls"

64 bit:

CD C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x64

SYMCHK /r %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dlls /s SRV*C:\AeroGlass\symbols\*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

Run symbols.cmd as administrator and the  dwmcore.pdb folder will appear in C:\AeroGlass\symbols. Click retry button and it should work.

Edited by zqw31974

On 8/22/2018 at 3:41 PM, timia said:

Hey timia, I hope you are well.

Just wanted to let you know that I purchased a key for Windows Style Builder / Vista Style Builder for 25 euros, and with the aid of Mr. Grim's patches (bless that man), I'm using the latest version (it says "1.5.6.3 - Beta Build") to aid in the border thickness query, as it also is something I've wanted to hopefully-address for the theme that I use as well.

Just thought I'd let you know that I am indeed investing my time and resources into this.  It's the perfectionist in me.  Probably undiagnosed OCD as well, LOL.

So, erm, I promise I'll keep you posted about the border thickness and so forth, unless you tell me to shut up, and then I'll shut up.

Take care, bye for now :-)

On 8/25/2018 at 7:50 AM, zqw31974 said:

I have found another way to solve the problem.

First install Debugging Tools for Windows 10, and then save the code below as symbols.cmd

32 bit:

CD C:\Program Files\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x86

64 bit:

CD C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x64

Run symbols.cmd as administrator and the  dwmcore.pdb folder will appear in C:\AeroGlass\symbols. Click retry button and it should work.

Gratitude for this!  Much obliged!