Error r6016 Win98se

Zollex

Oh yeah, struggled endlessly too with this ony recently, after updating base kernelEx452 to 2016.16+17 - and no solution :-(

For which actions do you get this error, R6016?

On my system it was the Scite editor, the old 1-file mini version. Worked for years, but stopped after the update. All compatibilities and disabling Kex for it didn't help anything. Luckily the 'normal' Scite-version still runs. In the end turned out, the culprit is probably the UPX-compression of the mini version. Look on this KernelEx page for "ux":
https://msfn.org/board/topic/173233-kernelex-45-core-updates-45201617/?page=28

Also VLC086 stopped working since that update. This is the last official VLC-version for Win98. Also trying compatibilities and disabling Kex for it didn't help anything. At first it looks fine, but opening any menu kills it. Funnily the newer VLC-versions started working instead.

My impression is that "disabling" KernelEx in the app properties does not work anymore since the updates, even though 'disabled' was always my default setting as well. UPX may also be the reason why old native-98 VLC is now broken, after reading this (look for comment about 'Free UPX'):
https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=599

Or could it be it's because of my 2-step-installation of KernelEx?? Another forum member who installed both packages in 1 step and made only a DOS-restart in between says he had much less probs. Planning to try this myself too some time, but not gotten around to it yet, and rather fearing system accidents each time.