XUSBSUPP - eXtended USB Supplement for Windows 95 OSR2

Well, here it is folks. USB Support for Windows 95 - simplified. :w00t:

This is essentially "NUSB for Windows 95" except for the fact that no USB 2.0 drivers exist for Windows 95.

No hoops to jump through.

No multiple packages to install.

No endless searching for USB storage drivers that work.

This package has been a long time in the making, and would not be possible without our good friend rloew, who has created a universal USB storage driver that is Windows 95 compatible.

Click here to download: XUSBSUPP.ZIP

So without repeating myself, here is the "ReadMe" for the package, which will provide further details.

=========================================================

XUSBSUPP - eXtended USB Supplement for Windows 95 OSR 2.x

Version 1.0

July 15, 2014

Copyright © 2014

Conner McCoy (LoneCrusader) & Rudolph Loew (rloew)

OVERVIEW:

This unofficial update package for Windows 95 OSR 2.x (95B and 95C) combines all of the original Microsoft USB Supplement packages and HotFixes ever issued for USB support under Windows 95 along with a universal USB Mass Storage Device driver solution for Windows 95 into one stand alone installer.

This package is similar in function and intent to "NUSB" - a popular unofficial update for Windows 98 Second Edition. Once installed, no other third-party drivers will be required for USB Mass Storage devices and they will simply "plug and play" as they do under Windows ME, 2000, or XP. A "Safe Disconnect & Removal" utility is also provided that will appear in the System Tray when a device is connected and functions like Windows ME, 2000, or XP.

This package is intended to be used on a new, clean installation of Windows 95 OSR2. It is not recommended for use under other circumstances or conditions and has not been tested under other circumstances or conditions. Do NOT install this package on a system where the original Microsoft USB Supplement (USBSUPP.EXE) has already been installed, as it will DESTROY the backups created for uninstalling the original Microsoft package.

INSTALLATION:

WITH A NEW INSTALLATION OF WINDOWS:

1.) Install your new Windows 95 OSR2 system.

2.) When Windows 95 SETUP is complete, reboot your system.

3.) When your system has rebooted, open Control Panel, System, Device Manager.

4.) Remove all unknown "Other devices" from the list of hardware.

5.) Run XUSBSUPP.EXE and follow the prompts.

6.) As the system reboots, follow the prompts to install drivers for USB devices.

7.) When the Desktop has loaded, connect a USB Storage Device and proceed as you would with any later version of Windows.

WITH AN EXISTING INSTALLATION OF WINDOWS:

***NOTE that this package must not be used with USBSUPP.EXE already installed.***

1.) If USBSUPP.EXE or any other package that provides USB drivers has been installed, each must be uninstalled and you must reboot before proceeding.

2.) Start with a clean boot of your system. Do not perform any other tasks prior to beginning this installation.

3.) Open Control Panel, System, Device Manager.

4.) Remove all remaining USB devices (if any) and all unknown "Other devices" from the list of hardware.

5.) Run XUSBSUPP.EXE and follow the prompts.

6.) As the system reboots, follow the prompts to install drivers for USB devices.

7.) When the Desktop has loaded, connect a USB Storage Device and proceed as you would with any later version of Windows.

UNINSTALLATION:

1.) Open Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs.

2.) Select "eXtended USB Supplement to Windows 95 OSR 2.x" and click "Add/Remove."

3.) Follow the prompts and reboot your system.

4.) Be aware that two empty folders will remain inside your Windows directory, namely \SYSTEM32 and \SYSTEM32\DRIVERS. If these folders are empty they may be safely deleted.

5.) Be aware that copies of USB.INF, RLUSB95.INF, or other INFs contained in this package may exist in the \INF\OTHER folder if placed there by Windows 95. They should be removed manually to prevent confusion if other drivers are used.

CONTENTS:

This unofficial package contains the following files, listed by the original official update or third-party package that contained them. The file name will be followed by its corresponding version number or in cases where no version number is available the original timestamp will be used. Files that were included in an earlier update and later superseded by a HotFix will be listed under the latest HotFix. Files that have been modified from their original version will be denoted by a "*MODIFIED FOR XUSBSUPP" notation.

-Files included in original USB Supplement and files later superseded:

USBSUPP.EXE    Original Microsoft Package v.4.03.1214 - Windows 95 C CD-ROM

AUTOEXEC.BAT    Thursday, April 10, 1997 12:14:00 PM

CONAGENT.EXE    Thursday, April 10, 1997 12:14:00 PM

DETROIT.INF    *MODIFIED FOR XUSBSUPP

DEVLIB.EXE    Thursday, April 10, 1997 12:14:00 PM

IMAGE.INF    *MODIFIED FOR XUSBSUPP

IMAGECLS.SYS    4.03.1212

KRNL386.EXE    4.03.1212

LICENSE.TXT    *MODIFIED FOR XUSBSUPP

NODRIVER.INF    *MODIFIED FOR XUSBSUPP

REDIRECT.MOD    Thursday, April 10, 1997 12:14:00 PM

RPLCLDR.EXE    Thursday, April 10, 1997 12:14:00 PM

SPOOLSS.DLL    4.03.1212

USB.INF        *MODIFIED FOR XUSBSUPP

USBCAMD.SYS    4.03.1212

USBD.SYS    4.03.1214

VCOND.VXD    4.03.1212

VFWWDM.DRV    4.03.1214

VFWWDM32.DLL    4.03.1214

VMCPD.VXD    4.03.1212

VPICD.VXD    4.03.1212

VTD.VXD        4.03.1212

VWIN32.VXD    4.03.1212

VXDLDR.VXD    4.03.1212

WINOA386.MOD    4.03.1212

USBUPD2.EXE    Original Microsoft Package - Windows 95 C CD-ROM

*ALL FILES IN THIS ORIGINAL UPDATE ARE SUPERSEDED

AMDK6UPD.EXE    Original Microsoft HotFix - MSKB Q192841 & Q234259

NTKERN.VXD    4.03.1213

247965USA5.EXE    Original Microsoft HotFix - MSKB Q247965

VMM.VXD        4.03.1217

USBUP.EXE    Original Microsoft HotFix - MSKB Q181499

OPENHCI.SYS    4.03.1217

HUBUPD.EXE    Original Microsoft HotFix - MSKB Q189284

USBHUB.SYS    4.03.1218

e7kusb9p.exe    OEM Update Package from Toshiba

UHCD.SYS    4.03.1218

175086US5.EXE    Original Microsoft HotFix - MSKB Q175086

KERNEL32.DLL    4.03.1216

*SUPERSEDED BELOW BY UNOFFICIAL BUG PATCH

-Files added to correct known bugs and to expand functionality:

249070USA5.EXE    Original Microsoft HotFix - MSKB Q188803 & Q245583 & Q249070

MSGSRV32.EXE    4.00.1112

Solves Plug & Play lockups on some systems

DISKUPD.EXE    Original Microsoft HotFix - MSKB Q214522

DISKVSD.VXD    4.00.1114

Solves misreported sizes for USB disks

W95Y2K.EXE    Original Microsoft Update - MSKB Q225050 & Q225053

CFGMGR32.DLL    4.10.1422

SETUPAPI.DLL    4.00

CFGMGR32.DLL required by HOTPLUG.EXE

These two DLL's are usually paired so both included

KERNEL32.ZIP    KERNEL32 2GiB BUG PATCH FOR WINDOWS 95B/95C

KERNEL32.DLL    4.03.1217    RRL

This patch corrects file copy errors with files

larger than 2GB and is provided as free software from

Rudolph R. Loew.

RLUSB.ZIP    RLUSB9X USB Mass Storage Driver for Windows 95+

HOTPLUG.EXE    1.0.0.0

RLUSB95.INF    *MODIFIED FOR XUSBSUPP

RLUSB9X.SYS    1.0.0.0

RLUSBPDR.PDR    1.0.0.0

USB2STOP.VXD    1.0.0.0

This universal USB Storage Driver package is provided

as free software from Rudolph R. Loew.

KNOWN LIMITATIONS:

This package does not provide a driver for USB 2.0, as no such drivers exist for Windows 95. Many hours were spent by the authors searching for a compatible driver, and many hours were spent in experimentation trying to get Windows 98-compatible USB 2.0 drivers to load with no success.

This package does not provide a driver for USB 3.0, as no such drivers exist for any version of Windows 9x.

This package does not provide a driver for USB-HID or USB peripheral devices such as keyboards, mice, or joysticks. While some very early ("embryonic" shall we say) and incomplete work was done in this area by Microsoft (see the Windows NT4 DDK), unfortunately none of the sample driver files provided actually work. If anyone knows how to make the Microsoft files from the DDK work and can successfully demonstrate this, or knows of any working third-party USB peripheral drivers for Windows 95, please inform the authors of this package.

This package enables the use of USB-connected optical drives, but does not provide a driver for the UDF filesystem frequently used on CD\DVD\Blu-Ray discs. Visit Rudolph R. Loew's homepage at http://rloew1.no-ip.com for a suitable driver.

When unistalling this package, two nested folders will remain in your Windows directory, specifically the folders \SYSTEM32 and \SYSTEM32\DRIVERS. If these folders are empty, they may be safely deleted. This package does not remove them due to a limitation in the Windows 95 version of WININIT.EXE.

LICENSE AGREEMENT AND LEGAL ISSUES:

This package is provided as free software by Conner McCoy and Rudolph Loew, hereinafter referred to as "authors."

By using this software, you agree to accept the various license agreements denoted here in this text and included inside the installation package.

By using this software, you assume all responsibility for its use or misuse and agree that the authors provide no warranty or guarantee of any kind as to the usefulness of this software for your purpose; and that the authors will not be liable for any damages resulting from the use or misuse of this software.

This package may NOT be distributed without this document attached and intact.

This package may NOT be disassembled, reverse engineered, used in a manner other than its intended purpose, or otherwise altered or tampered with without the express permission of the authors.

Here are some screenshots:

6 USB Devices connected -

(4-Slot Card Reader, Flash Drive, Floppy Drive, Hard Drive [sATA/IDE to USB bridge], ZIP Drive, SATA Blu-Ray Optical Drive)

xusb1.jpg

Device Manager

xusb2.jpgxusb3.jpg

Click here to download: XUSBSUPP.ZIP

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about rebuilding my ThinkPad 770E with Windows 95 OSR2 and giving it a try on a vintage laptop (would this driver work with PCMCIA USB 1.1 cards? I have one that is looking for a home)... it is currently running 98SE/DOS 7.1 and would really love to bring it back to its factory OS version ;)

Still, it's nice to see USB flash/hard drives working natively under Windows 95 OSR2 without any sort of drivers (Nathan Lineback/ToastyTech would really enjoy this I'd bet :D)

I'm thinking about rebuilding my ThinkPad 770E with Windows 95 OSR2 and giving it a try on a vintage laptop (would this driver work with PCMCIA USB 1.1 cards? I have one that is looking for a home)... it is currently running 98SE/DOS 7.1 and would really love to bring it back to its factory OS version ;)

I have never used any PCMCIA devices so I'm not familiar with them... :unsure:

Still, it's nice to see USB flash/hard drives working natively under Windows 95 OSR2 without any sort of drivers (Nathan Lineback/ToastyTech would really enjoy this I'd bet :D)

A driver is provided; they can't work "without" one, but the one provided is superior to all of the previously available drivers which all had some serious limitation (only worked with some devices and not others) or another. ;)

Nice looking update, finally an easy all in one solution for USB support on 95!

I was wondering if this would work fine with the unofficial service pack found here: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/129504-unofficial-windows-95-osr2x-service-pack-10x-final-release/

I don't think it should cause any issues, and if it won't then any idea which is recommended to install first (or won't it matter)?

Cheers! :thumbup

Edited by Zenskas

Update: after messing up with the initial 95 install, wiped the drive and reinstalled 95C then the drivers... went ahead and installed XUSBSUPP and it detected my USB card just fine; rebooted, plugged in my flash drive and it recognized/mounted it perfectly :D Copied some files off it and back on, no issues to report so far (will also try my USB Zip drive and some other USB devices I have later)

Nice looking update, finally an easy all in one solution for USB support on 95!

I was wondering if this would work fine with the unofficial service pack found here: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/129504-unofficial-windows-95-osr2x-service-pack-10x-final-release/

I don't think it should cause any issues, and if it won't then any idea which is recommended to install first (or won't it matter)?

Cheers! :thumbup

I believe the Unofficial Service Pack installs the original USBSUPP packages by default, which could definitely cause issues when combined with XUSBSUPP. I have not tested the packages together, but I wouldn't advise using both on the same system. :}

I had trouble with the Unofficial Service Pack before; it seems to be incompatible with my FIX95CPU package and it rendered one of my 95 test setups unbootable...

Update: after messing up with the initial 95 install, wiped the drive and reinstalled 95C then the drivers... went ahead and installed XUSBSUPP and it detected my USB card just fine; rebooted, plugged in my flash drive and it recognized/mounted it perfectly :D Copied some files off it and back on, no issues to report so far (will also try my USB Zip drive and some other USB devices I have later)

Thanks for testing! :thumbup

EDIT: Added some screenshots to the first post.

Edited by LoneCrusader

• 1 month later...

Well Well, i Have ATC-1020 i430VX Based MOBO + Pentium 200 MMX;
When i Install This Software on Clean Win95 OSR2 (950C Build), System Works same as with USBSUPP:
USB Mouse was detected as Unknown and oTher usb devices has not detected.
Drop That "Tool" to Recycle! and Stop Spam Internet!
Conclusion: Totally No USB Devices working with this Patch on Win95!

Edited by YURBAN

USB Mouse was detected as Unknown and oTher usb devices has not detected.

This package does not provide a driver for USB-HID or USB peripheral devices such as keyboards, mice, or joysticks. While some very early ("embryonic" shall we say) and incomplete work was done in this area by Microsoft (see the Windows NT4 DDK), unfortunately none of the sample driver files provided actually work. If anyone knows how to make the Microsoft files from the DDK work and can successfully demonstrate this, or knows of any working third-party USB peripheral drivers for Windows 95, please inform the authors of this package.

Surprising. :whistle:

jaclaz

Is Mouse a USB Mass Storage Device? Is Keyboard a USB Mass Storage Device?

No and no. So, why did you expect them to be supported/detected?

OK, Why If i Connect any USB Flash Drive = Unknown Device and Then i get stable BSOD?!

I Try Install HID Drivers from Windows 98 Distribution Setup = Driver has been installed, but not work properly (with USBSUPP or this XUSBSUPP)

On Windows 98: USB Mice works fine, but Flash Drives not working

On Windows ME: USB Mice and USB Flash Drives working fine.

Conclusion: Windows 95 - not work properly with USB always

My Full Specs:

ATI Rage 3D II PCI + 3Dfx Voodoo2 (Magic 3D II 12 MB)

ITE RAID ATA PCI with 80GB WD HDD

ASUS CRW CD-RW

64MB SIMM+128MB SDRAM (how to?! View:

)

Pentium 200 MMX

ATC 1020

Edited by YURBAN