XUSBSUPP - eXtended USB Supplement for Windows 95 OSR2

i am using the hp pavillion xt115 laptop ( rs200m chipset ) on windows 95 and i am having problems with getting the usb controller to work. after installing xusbsupp, upon reboot, when it tried to install the driver for the controller, labeled ali pci to usb open host controller, it would just freeze the system, could not move mouse cursor, and i had no choice to go into safe mode and uninstall xusbsupp and was able to reboot normally. 

i was wondering what could be the issues, i tried testing with the usb legacy option in bios enabled and disabled and it made no difference. i was thinking there may be some conflict with the "via pci bus management fix" update that i use, i believe it is only for windows 95 up to osr 2.5 and windows 98 first edition only, the readme just says windows 95 and 98. but yeh, i installed this update before i proceeded with xusbsupp. 

Why are you using a VIA update on a computer that doesn't have a VIA chipset? :huh:

In any case please provide a link to this update and I will see what, if anything it changes that could affect USB.

I have encountered at least one situation where an Intel USB1 controller on an MSI motherboard would cause Windows 95 to hang but did not affect Windows 98SE. The same VID&PID controller on a different motherboard did not have this issue, so it's possible the problem is purely hardware related. The few ATI/AMD chipsets I have encountered have not been 9x-friendly at all.

via pci bus fix part 2.zip

you were asking why i would install the via update on a motherboard that does not have a via chipset, that's a good question but that's why i'm here to know whether or not what i am doing is right, i put it in my checklist because i thought that because it mentioned usb controllers and i had experience with having a via 3108 usb controller in the past with rs200m chipset, i thought it was needed on this build, however, in this particular laptop, it seems that it WAS different and used the ali usb controller and not the via usb controller, hence, making that update i installed either useless or possibly damaging. 

i only realized just now the usb controller was ali and not via. ali being the older variant of nvidia i believe. 

oh and the hardware id of the ali usb controller is "PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5237"

Edited by cov3rt

Apparently the installer must be run in order to unpack the update. :wacko: I'll investigate further on that later.

But to answer your second question no, this update should not be used on your current machine. In general it's best not mix up other manufacturer's packages whenever you're setting up a system not using their components. Always start with installing the bare minimum of packages specific to your machine, then proceed to other solutions if and only if you have problems. :)

1 minute ago, LoneCrusader said:

Apparently the installer must be run in order to unpack the update. :wacko: I'll investigate further on that later.

But to answer your second question no, this update should not be used on your current machine. In general it's best not mix up other manufacturer's packages whenever you're setting up a system not using their components. Always start with installing the bare minimum of packages specific to your machine, then proceed to other solutions if and only if you have problems. :)

thanks for the help, i can maybe provide more updates later. 

• 4 years later...

Hi.

Just wanted to give my feedback.

I recently restored an old Compaq Armada 1700 I bought to a colleague with Windows 95 in Portuguese.

I was kind of afraid of using xusbsupp on a version of w95 not in English, but it worked great :)

Thank you.

• 2 months later...