Switching between thread pages broke again after server crash

i430VX

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

It's still broken in 2020 and no one cares.

Probably because many people are blocking ads or are sponsors (hopefully!).

It only happens when ads are unblocked.

Edited by win32

• 3 months later...
On 4/30/2020 at 12:10 PM, UCyborg said:

It's still broken in 2020 and no one cares.

It appears to happen with Chromium browsers, even Firefox 45 loaded the page fine, but any Chromium version, even after a fresh install, gets this loading error.

Never seen a site that supports Gecko more than Blink in recent history.

You probably have something in your Firefox 45 profile that blocks the offending script. Regardless of the browser engine, it's not uncommon for browsers these days to come with some sort of tracking protection enabled by default, which tends to block the offending script.

Just now, UCyborg said:

You probably have something in your Firefox 45 profile that blocks the offending script. Regardless of the browser engine, it's not uncommon for browsers these days to come with some sort of tracking protection enabled by default, which tends to block the offending script.

It was a fresh install of Firefox 45 I did for testing on a XP install I believe. I main a mix of Waterfox Classic and Waterfox Current, which both don't experience the issue either.

Just now, asdf2345 said:

It was a fresh install of Firefox 45 I did for testing on a XP install I believe. I main a mix of Waterfox Classic and Waterfox Current, which both don't experience the issue either.

Did some quick testing, and it looks like it was Firefox's built in tracking protection. I tested with 78 ESR, and disabling my tracking protection on it

The blocking of the ads shouldn't be what is causing it, as shown in your picture. Unless, the process used to do the block (which would be to not put the affected code in the rendered code, or the browser putting a comment on it) is what is causing the problem. Notice that Syntax error at the end. If the blocking method is also removing part of the page code outside of the ad object, it could be what is the actual issue.

On a page with this security enabled, do an inspect on the stars for rate this topic. Then with the security disabled, repeat. I wonder if the browser security is commenting out a portion of code it shouldn't, and with tags being "missing" causes the page content to not appear.

@Tripredacus
You misunderstood. The problem occurs when you DO NOT block ads. Private browsing is not enabled in my screenshot. If you do block ads or allow JavaScript only on msfn.org, there's no problem. The problematic script originates from googlesyndication.com.

OK I was just looking at the console output in your screenshot. Looking at it again, it is not blocking the ads, or at least the adsbygoogle.js that is on googlesyndication. To figure out where the issue lies, you'll need to figure out why the console is showing you that SyntaxError. I believe that is what is causing the issue.

Here is what you can do. If you can get a page to do this thing where the posts don't show up. Then go into the inspector and view the console and verify the SyntaxError is present. Then on the page again, choose to view page source instead of inspect. Select all and copypasta it into a .txt file. Then PM me the text file.

Just to make sure we aren't wasting any time, I do not want a .txt file if the error console doesn't show that Syntax Error message.

That syntax error probably only shows with older browsers. I don't get it with updated Basilisk. You should get this one consistently across different browsers (it's also present in that screenshot):

TagError: adsbygoogle.push() error: No slot size for availableWidth=0

Newer Firefox and Chrome versions should be able to show the name of JS file where the error is coming from (adsbygoogle.js) and show it in normally readable form as it's normally minified.

Edited by UCyborg

• 2 months later...

Well thank goodness the site has a noJS fallback either way, just go and disable it. The mere fact this hasn't been looked into is kinda dumb regardless, is the site's administration sitting around drinking while we keep F5'ing their site with more requests?

On 8/25/2020 at 2:55 PM, asdf2345 said:

Never seen a site that supports Gecko more than Blink in recent history.

LOL relatable, usually everything is broken in Gecko browsers these days and you're (more politely than the way I'm putting it) told to fuсk off and use Chrome if something isn't working. :P 

Edited by Koishi Komeiji