hi thanks for the quick reply

i have never used a proxy before.

can you guide me through the maze.

i googled  Proxy HTTPS Proxy wheever/ProxHTTPSProxyMII:

i am totally confused by Proxomitron and ProxHTTPSProxy

Is it two products?

how to install?

Thanks much

@heinogandais the MSFN ProxHTTPSProxy guru.
It's thanks to him that we have a version which still works on XP!
He hasn't been active here recently, I hope he's OK.
If you PM him he should be able to give you a link to download it and a guide as to how to install and configure it.
:)

8 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Going to the youtube.com home page just produces a blank white page.

That's because Google have deprecated the old "classic" youtube layout :realmad: and now yt defaults to loading the polymer layout (several iterations of it exist) which, unfortunately, IE8/XP (and also IE9/Vista) can't render... :(

IIRC, there existed a now dead project called Google Chrome Frame, which used to bring Chrome's rendering engine to Internet Explorer (more info on Wikipedia); I can't remember exactly what version of Chromium it was built on (and the installer itself is currently hard to locate on the web) but it's worth a (long) shot, if available, to test [polymer]youtube loading inside IE8... :dubbio:

Edited by VistaLover
additions

3 hours ago, VistaLover said:

IIRC, there existed a now dead project called Google Chrome Frame, which used to bring Chrome's rendering engine to Internet Explorer (more info on Wikipedia); I can't remember exactly what version of Chromium it was built on (and the installer itself is currently hard to locate on the web) but it's worth a (long) shot, if available, to test [polymer]youtube loading inside IE8... :dubbio:

This thing is very old by now. I've had it for a long time. After all the updates and tweaks, i'm not even sure whether it's still active or just "existing" there...

Doesn't show up in the list of currently loaded addons on YT.

ukYwGMr.png

MqAAMjg.png

5p3GdCX.png

Jngtf36.png

[edit]

OK, second attempt. I had to force it with the gcf: prefix.

KmixV6A.png

Didn't check further, IE here is slow as hell and i gotta run to work, ugh...

Edited by RainyShadow

Of course it has to be said that I'm not quite sure why anyone would want or need to use YouTube in IE8, when there are other XP compatible browsers that it still works fine on, including Firefox 52.9 ESR with the Primetime plugin, which I'm still using as my main browser!
For years now I've only used IE8 for Microsoft Update, and now that's stopped working I doubt I'll ever need to run it again.

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

...I'm not quite sure why anyone would want or need to use YouTube in IE8, when there are other XP compatible browsers that it still works fine on, including Firefox 52.9 ESR with the Primetime plugin, which I'm still using as my main browser!

I only asked because a new member wished to login with a media player that uses Internet Explorer’s engine:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182100-windows-xp-system-web-browser/

I agree that @Andrey will almost certainly have to use a browser (other than IE8) for YouTubing on Windows XP. Perhaps OT, but my understanding is that the list of suitable browsers will become extremely short whenever YT deprecates Polymer v1 in favor of even newer iterations. (However, Andrey is already using Extreme Explorer 360.)

Googling for "chrome frame download" gives a direct link to the installer (archived)

It is marked as version 32.0.1700.107

Anyone wanna test it?

Useful reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\ChromeFrame]
"AllowUnsafeURLs"=dword:00000001
"IsDefaultRenderer"=dword:00000000

The first value allows to render any page in GCF by adding the prefix gcf: to the address.

Second value should be obvious :P

Edited by RainyShadow
reg

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I only asked because a new member wished to login with a media player that uses Internet Explorer’s engine:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182100-windows-xp-system-web-browser/

I agree that @Andrey will almost certainly have to use a browser (other than IE8) for YouTubing on Windows XP. Perhaps OT, but my understanding is that the list of suitable browsers will become extremely short whenever YT deprecates Polymer v1 in favor of even newer iterations. (However, Andrey is already using Extreme Explorer 360.)

Sorry, I did see that thread but had forgotten about it!
I have a similar problem with my ancient but much loved Eudora e-mail client.
That also uses the IE8 engine to display messages, and some modern messages now display very badly!
:(

58 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

Googling for "chrome frame download" gives a direct link to the installer (archived)

It is marked as version 32.0.1700.107

Anyone wanna test it?

Useful reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\ChromeFrame]
"AllowUnsafeURLs"=dword:00000001
"IsDefaultRenderer"=dword:00000000

The first value allows to render any page in GCF by adding the prefix gcf: to the address.

Second value should be obvious :P

OK, I'll give it a go!
:yes:

Well, of course when I investigated I found that I already had it installed!
It was disabled and I had completely forgotten about it.
Enabling it and adding the "AllowUnsafeURLs" registry entry brought it back to life again, and it does work, sort of.
The YouTube homepage now loads, but it get this far and then keeps on reloading again, over and over.
It never stabilises.

Image1.thumb.jpg.5b6131773316dbf66700cb113ca19da1.jpg

If I try to sign in, I can put my e-mail address in, but then I get -

Image2.thumb.jpg.613ba144744378dd4daede4b1a960cf4.jpg

So, it looks like even the Chrome plugin, although it works, is too out of date to be acceptable to Google.
:(

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

Tried various workarounds, but it just won't work. Chrome 34 gets the same treatment even when spoofed as Chrome 85.

I found something, which could be useful for other purposes though. The Chrome Frame uses a profile that looks like a regular Chrome profile in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome Frame\User Data\iexplore\Default

If it's loaded in standalone Chrome, probably it can be customized normally like adding extensions, etc.

Didn't try it yet though.

@Dave-H : Is your IE8 always configured to use ProxHTTPSProxyMII for HTTPS connections? The crux of the issue here, methinks, is whether GCF uses IE8's proxy configuration and whether it shares IE8's cookies/other data... If it's just a standalone, non-configurable, Chromium (32) headless browser within IE8, then, sadly, very little can be done about it... :(

Can you try these experiments for me, please?

With GCF enabled, load:

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/what-is-my-user-agent

so we can verify what UA is being sent; then (again via GCF), load

https://clienttest.ssllabs.com:8443/ssltest/viewMyClient.html

so we can see which types of secure connections GCF is capable of...
Hopefully, we can see whether ProxHTTPSProxyMII is being used in GCF, too...

Finally, are you able to successfully sign-in to Google.com via IE8 alone (with GCF disabled)?

If you can't without the HTTPSProxy (this is, sadly, a probability), I think you'll be able to with the proxy configured...

FWIW, IE9 (on Vista SP2) enabled with TLS 1.2 support, can perfectly fine authenticate and connect to a Google account:

nAE71cI.jpg

(Sadly, EC ciphers are not possible in XP )

Via signing-in, Google cookies are set; if these are shared with/can be picked-up by GCF, when loading youtube you should be already signed-in, at least in theory ! If, OTOH, GCF can't see those IE8 cookies, then perhaps they could be exported from IE8 in a suitable format and imported (somehow?) into the GCF profile @RainyShadow mentioned... 

These are the results of the first two tests -

Image1.thumb.jpg.f4607a81138e48e65013b618e98586af.jpg

Image2.thumb.jpg.dbf4c6ff9a752d0348cd033920ff7b61.jpg

Image3.thumb.jpg.dcea206a98da59f772785018e219ba89.jpg

When I tried going to the YouTube login page without the Chrome plugin, it was a terrible mess and unresponsive so I couldn't enter anything.

Edited by Dave-H

When I surf using IE8 with the Chrome plugin, I can see activity in the ProxHTTPSProxy console, so I assume that it's still using it.
I suspect I would be getting a lot of certificate errors if it wasn't.

Just to add that I was amazed to be able to use my online banking site with IE8 using the Chrome plugin.
I never thought that would work ever again!

Edited by Dave-H
Addition