Backporting newer browsers to Win9X with KernelEx

• 1 month later...

Does the setting: <...msvcr80.dll in the KM Program Folder to Base (Kexbases,Kexbasen)...> in KM74 prevent KMeleon from freezing if Javascript is enabled? KMeleon74 can open many websites, but doesn't work if javascript is required.

Edited by diamant

No, the setting prevents runtime errors when adding bookmarks or changing toolbar settings. JS freezing problems on many machines are still unsolved here. But I cannot reproduce the problem on any of my machines. Yes, sometimes it can be that the browser freezes on a website, but then usually also on XP. Recently I suspected it might have to do with certain firewalls. I'm running Fritz!DSL Protect (Router Fritz!Box).

Edited by schwups

It seems like JS freezing problem has something to do with the way Goanna engine handles it. Every version of Pale Moon that ran with KernelEx froze whenever I tried to open any website that uses JS.

:hello:

tyukok, which PaleMoon Goanna versions are you referring to? I can't run any PM Goanna version on ME so far! I can run PM 25 - 25.4.1. It is a Gecko 24 engine. And I have no particular JS problems with these versions.

Palemoon 25.4.1 didn't work because of MSVCR110.DLL wasn't found allegedly, whether it was in the palemoon file directory.

I don't think that's a router firewall problem (here) because of Kmeleon74 works under WinXP (with other minor problems) on the same machine with Javascript enabled.
Retrozilla with Javascript enabled works under Win98SE, but has on the other hand more problems displaying "modern" websites than Kmeleon74.

I didn't test that with KernelEx update 16. 16 was the first Kex version, that had allowed FF24+ to run. The profile will created very faulty. There are significant improvements since update 18. Don't use an old profile of an older version like PaleMoon 3, 9 or 11. You can rename it for this purpose. The profile should be fresh. Version 25.4.1 could be a bit tricky to run, so test with 25.3.2 first.