Laptop stops when closing the cover

Anixx

I set up the computer should do no action when the cover is closed, in power options.

Yet, if to close the cover and wait a few minutes, the laptop stops: the screen is highlited but black, and the machine is not responsive on any action, keyboard and mouse. Only hard power off resumes operation (with damage to the file system).

What can I do so to fix this behavior?

Edited by Anixx

I suspect when you close the lid the laptop may be overheating, because it doesn't go to sleep. There isn't good ventilation with the lid shut.

The switch that makes it know when its closed could be broken... but more likely a program is preventing sleep.
can you manually put it to sleep from the start menu or a hotkey?

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/windows-8.1-sleep-hibernation-settings,2-737-3.html

also make sure all your drivers are installed.

(I read your issue wrong)

Edited by i430VX

I am closing in idle state, it does not overheat. Also it does not stop if the cover is opened and when the cover is closed but there is an external monitor.

Edited by Anixx

The reason laptops go to sleep or go to standby/shut off the monitor when lids are closed is because there is a hardware switch either in the hinge or on the bezel located above or around the top of the keyboard.  When these switches are pressed laptops go into sleep or standby.  

In windows there are power options usually to disable these switches and sometimes there are 3rd party power drivers that can configure them.

This behavior is controlled by the BIOS, and if the drivers do not control the BIOS properly this can fail.  There are 2 factors here.  1 Is the Screen and if it turns off or not, the other is the hard disk driver and if it is put to sleep.  Various other things like powering down other devices may occur.  It sounds to me like the computer is going to sleep regardless of what you are setting it and not waking up.  This is most likely caused by either misconfiguration of the BIOS, buggy BIOS, buggy drivers, or user error in configuration.  The way I usually configure this is for my screen to turn off but not anything else. only screen no disk drive, gpu, keyboard or anything else.

Troubleshooting problems are complicated and the 1st thing a person must rule out is user error, or fault of the user.  These include user set configurations, user installed software and drivers and the opposite of user not configuring and not installing drivers.

Once you rule out user fault the next thing to move onto is hardware fault.  This is a huge step generally this requires flashing the computer BIOS, setting it to defualt,  reinstalling windows and drivers sometimes so that we have a perfect vanilla image.  When problems still ooccur at this state we blame hardware.  This is the worst case scenario and we only do this when all else has failed in trouble shooting a problem

When its a hardware failure you are very limited in what you can do without the ability to replace hardware, sometimes you must just disable the buggy hardware through hacks or just not installing it and disabling it.  The specific hardware that is giving you problems is called ACPI. Advanced Configuration and Power Interface .  I would suggest to you to study ACPI by googling it and using wiki.  There are many different versions of ACPI, usually most computers have configurable ACPI through the BIOS and a person can pick different versions.

There are problaby millions of differn't laptops out there so its impossible to say.  You never gave us any information about the computer so all I can speak in is in generalities.  It could aslo be possible that you are just no pushing the right buttons when you are trying to wake the computer up.

Edited by Destro