Compaq 5008us best processor

pathwayus69

So I pulled out my first computer and have been restoring it to run old games. As far as I know it a socket 370 800mhz Celeron. I was thinking about picking up a 1.4ghz Pentium Ill socket 370. Found one page that says it only support the 800mhz celeron. Compaq/hp website hasn't been very helpful would welcome any input.

I'm not seeing anything that shows that it can take anything else, very possible the BIOS is locked to this CPU

And you have a 100mhz FSB so I don't think you can use the 'fancy' 133mhz -EB models PIII, if any at all.

Generally Tualatin  (codename of later PIIIs, including the 1.4ghz models) dont work without an adapter, too.

I'm assuming you have an 810 chipset but can you crack it open and look? it should have writing on the north bridge as to what it is.

Edited by i430VX

Compaq released bioses under the name ROMPaqs and softpaqs.  You have to find the most updated  bios for that computer and figure out if any new CPU microcode was added. 

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp17001-17500/sp17455.txt

I see somthing that says Added CPU patch for new Coppermine D0 CPU (CPUID = 68Ah

So you need to figure out what that is.  I think your computer with the right BIOS and possibly jumper settings could take 1000mhz /w 100mhz FSB

I think this is the latest BIOS for that computer, it SUPERSEDES: SP17455

http://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=349437&action=filfo

Supports Windows Flash capability. The following were fixed in SP17455 and are also included in this SoftPaq: Fixed Chicony USB keyboard lockup during POST. Added POST message for missing keyboard. Added F10 Setup Detect Drive feature for IDE and floppy drives. Added quiet drive ATA6 acoustic management support. Enhancements to Power Loss Management feature. Added 48-bit LBA boot support to handle drives bigger than 128GB. Fix mouse loss on resume from hibernate. Fixed very slow boot with Canon BJ 870PFD USB printer. Added workaround for Logitech Quickcam hang during POST. Added CPU patch for new Coppermine D0 CPU (CPUID = 68Ah). Fixed Windows 2000 loa

d hang. The following were fixed in SP15894, SP15675, SP14017, SP13520 and are also included in this SoftPaq: Enhanced USB legacy handoffs. Fixes USB mouse hang. Fixed nonfunctional LEDs on International Venice keyboards. Added support for SST 2M firmware hub. Fixed intermittent 102 System Board POST error. Fixed issue when PS/2 mouse is not connected, and other error conditions. Improved USB support in DOS and Windows safe mode. Shortened BIOS POST (Power On Self Test) time. Resolved several issues with 3rd party video cards. Fixed multi-monitor support for several 3rd party video cards. Enhanced boot options in BIOS setup. Added support for latest Processors. Updated video BIOS. Fixes an issue of system rebooting when shutting down by preventing USB enumeration by the Operating System at shutdown. Changes memory buffer strength for configurations of two double sized memory modules. Adds support for new processor versions, including the latest CPU patches from Intel.

I am not sure if your board supports 133 mhz FSB or not but this bios supports that.  Id say its 100mhz fsb without being sure,

Edited by Destro

After doing some more checking. It is a 810 chipset. and the processor is code named coopermine. The bois is less then helpful as it doesn't give the version. Just a date which is 03/05/2001. Which is older then what is listed  in the link you sent to me. It also look like it will fix the issue with the 250.gb hard drive not showing up right. I'll see if i can get more info off the board its self. Thanks for the help so far going to installed the new bois in a few, also driver guide has be awesome for getting this computer back up and running.