IE 8 in 2018?

apreese16

On 2/5/2018 at 7:47 AM, roytam1 said:

the biggest issue is that, TLS SNI is missing in XP.

Hey roytam! Im posting this with NewMoon for XP 27.8.0a1, and sorry for late response.

Main question is, is there anyway at all to add that to ie8? Does ie 11 even support TLS SNI?

2 hours ago, apreese16 said:

Hey roytam! Im posting this with NewMoon for XP 27.8.0a1, and sorry for late response.

Main question is, is there anyway at all to add that to ie8? Does ie 11 even support TLS SNI?

SNI is not ported to XP. Even IE7 for Vista supports SNI.

What, EXACTLY, and I mean EVERYTHING, have you done to your system since it was working a few days ago?  What has changed?  Why were you even trying to run MU now anyway?  There shouldn't have been any new updates available in the last few days.  Without this information we have no idea how to help you.  The procedures you have been provided (in this thread, and here and here) work, and solve the endless searching problem, AFAIK, so I'm assuming the problem is on your end.

Remember, read the instructions carefully and follow them completely.  If it doesn't work, try it again and do it even more carefully and slowly, double checking yourself at each step.  If it still doesn't work, come back, tell us exactly what you did, what you expected to happen and exactly what happened instead. Then maybe someone can help you. [This is good general advice on how to get the best results when you ask for help on any technical forum. The members on such forums are usually willing to help you, but most are not willing to do it for you.]

Cheers and Regards

6 hours ago, bphlpt said:

... tell us exactly what you did, what you expected to happen and exactly what happened instead. Then maybe someone can help you. [This is good general advice on how to get the best results when you ask for help on any technical forum. The members on such forums are usually willing to help you, but most are not willing to do it for you.]

Just in case ;), standard litany:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160604095422/http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

jaclaz

So last week, I installed everything that was listed for me to ( 2 ie8 updates, and ms installer, 3.5 i think. Then restarted, afterward I immediately went to the MU site, and after about 8 seconds it loaded with all the updates. I then downloaded them all, ( .net framework security updates, windows xp updates, maybe an ie update, posready updates) and thats it.

After you installed all of that I assume the your system showed that it was up to date?  If so, then be happy and don't bother to check MU until the next month.

At that time, repeat the process:  First, these days I would suggest waiting until a week or two after the updates are released to make sure there are no problems with them - let somebody else be the guinea pig instead of you. Then manually install the current IE8 cumulative update and any appropriate Office related updates. After restarting, MU should act appropriately to get the rest of any necessary updates.  Once it shows you're up to date then leave it alone until the next month.  It used to work fine to check MU/WU daily or weekly if you wanted to, just to be sure you weren't missing out on anything. These days, leave well enough alone and only use it as infrequently as possible.  There are just too many problems with the system to do otherwise.  Why drive yourself crazy for no benefits?  Just my opinion.

Cheers and Regards

2 hours ago, Destro said:

It's good that we helped the OP, but I still want to throw my computer out the windows when I read this thread.

Let me know the next time you read this thread so I can wait outside to catch it.