Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Old thread, but that IE6 thing I mentioned "appeared" on my xp x64 system. In a folder, in the root of the drive, called "Internet Explorer" (How appropriate). Upon running it:

Screenshot_195.png

Note how it says IE8.
Rendering-wise, it works like IE8. However it's a bit broken when you attempt to do something with the address bar.
I'd provide the set of files as ZIP but they are almost certainly barred from unauthorized distribution. Unless a moderator thinks differently.

Edited by i430VX

I think what you discovered are backups of the files replaced during an IE8 upgrade, which are there to facilitate the downgrade back to IE6 (or 7), if one wishes.

Nevertheless, I wonder if the old iexplore.exe can be modified to work more reliably with IE8's rendering engine?

I'm also curious now if this would work in Windows Vista or 7 (with IE9 and 11, respectively)? Probably not, but it's worth a try nevertheless!

c

• Like 2