Who has the latest Firefox ESR Installed?

ThomasW

14 hours ago, Bersaglio said:

Firefox has been updated to 52.9.0 ESR release as of June 25, 2018. Security and stability fixes should be in release notes tomorrow.

We should expect this to be the last version of Firefox 52 ESR, and the final version officially released for Windows XP, as has been documented over the last couple of years.

Just updated. A screen opened warning that XP & Vista would no longer be supported beyond this release.

Edit: For "unofficial" support beyond FF 52.9, Roytam's XP-compatible builds of Basilisk/Serpent 52 or New Moon 28 (soon to be in beta) would seem to be good bets.

Edited by Mathwiz

• 4 weeks later...

Was going to ask this very question - answered above - thank you!!

Will keep FF 52 going for a little longer than abandon it and try give Roytam's Basilisk a whirl along with New Moon!

A pity.. Maxthon works ever so beautifully, why do I feel its spying in the worst way?! Wasn't crazy over Slimjet really.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, antiproton said:

At around 18:00 hours on September 6 Eastern Australian time I got a message from Firefox stating Firefox 52.9.0 ESR was outdated and can no longer be updated.

Those messages are nothing more than nags. They might as well insert 'em contextwise! :P

I still rely on Firefox to open up many websites that don't work on Chromium 54 (that I always spoof as the latest version. I.E I'm currently spoofing it as Chromium 69). So far, it managed to load pretty much everything and I'm perfectly fine with that. I have the feeling that it's gonna be usable for quite some time.

I run mostly Macs and PCs with 7 and up, so I have no problems updating, though on XP/Vista, I have switched to roytam's Pale Moon 28 build.

I've seen a message similar to this one in the past, on a Mac (since upgraded) running OS 10.8 Mountain Lion, which, along with 10.7 and 10.6, became unsupported after Firefox 48.

c

55 minutes ago, cc333 said:

I run mostly Macs and PCs with 7 and up, so I have no problems updating, though on XP/Vista, I have switched to roytam's Pale Moon 28 build.

I've seen a message similar to this one in the past, on a Mac (since upgraded) running OS 10.8 Mountain Lion, which, along with 10.7 and 10.6, became unsupported after Firefox 48.

c

you can swtich to tenfourfox for your macs :)

44 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

you can swtich to tenfourfox for your macs :)

I would, except TTF is Power Mac only; it's not compiled for Intel.

It can run, to some degree, under PPC emulation (Rosetta) on 10.6, but native Firefox 48 performs so much better that it's worth putting up with.

It would be lovely if someone came up with a Pale Moon-like browser for Mac OS 10.6, 10.7. Most Macs that can run 10.8 can also run 10.9 or newer, which is still supported, so it wouldn't need to target that OS specifically.

The FF 48 codebase would be a good place to start.

c

28 minutes ago, cc333 said:

I would, except TTF is Power Mac only; it's not compiled for Intel.

It can run, to some degree, under PPC emulation (Rosetta) on 10.6, but native Firefox 48 performs so much better that it's worth putting up with.

It would be lovely if someone came up with a Pale Moon-like browser for Mac OS 10.6, 10.7. Most Macs that can run 10.8 can also run 10.9 or newer, which is still supported, so it wouldn't need to target that OS specifically.

The FF 48 codebase would be a good place to start.

c

tenfourfox has intel support in source form, i.e. you have to compile it yourself.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone else using Firefox 52.9 ESR suddenly having terrible problems with Facebook?

All other sites seem to be OK, but Facebook has suddenly become almost unusable, with constant freezing of the pages and indeed the whole browser.

After a very long wait, Firefox eventually pops up a notice about an unresponsive script. If I close the script, the page response immediately returns to normal, but unfortunately the problem comes back immediately if I go to another page on Facebook.

I just want to see if anyone else is seeing this, so I can try to eliminate if anything else on my system might be causing it.

Thanks, Dave.

:)

I had problems with Facebook using chromium 54 and a few bug using Firefox 52.9 ESR, but nothing serious.

For instance, if I try to publish a link in a page and I wanna change the preview, it doesn't always work correctly.

Other than that, no major issues, it's still usable.