Lack of Linux Enthusiasm

Cawsign

I know this is a microsoft themed forum but it seems strange to me that, if you're nerdy enough to have declared yourself "a fan of" an OS, that you would then stick to that OS and not then try to push the boat out a little.

This subsection of the forum resembles a ghost town, and what for? Are there better places to go or something? This place has people who are interested in the end use of OS'ss's. It seems like an adequate place for discussion.

I only know of three things that linux doesn't do: play modern games, invoke nostalgia, or offer the illusion of choice only to then make all the decisions for you... But what it does do is very powerful. While I've never really owned an apple product, OS/X 8 through 11 seemed kind of interesting and it's still based on unix up to today if I recall correctly.

By talking here I can share my experiences: entertain, educate and learn. Will there never be anything more than a brief nod to linux in here?

18 hours ago, Cawsign said:

I know this is a microsoft themed forum but it seems strange to me that, if you're nerdy enough to have declared yourself "a fan of" an OS, that you would then stick to that OS and not then try to push the boat out a little.

As a matter of fact the point is exactly that (with all due exceptions ;)) most people here are not "fans" of one Os or the other, they are (largely) "simple" users of it, more or less desperately trying to have the stupid thingy work as it should, in some cases (please read as "often") notwithstanding the efforts of the good MS guys to make Windows (you choose) either Android or an X-Box.

By talking here I can share my experiences: entertain, educate and learn. 

You can also whine :w00t::ph34r: about the lack of Linux talks here.

The worst that can happen to you :unsure: is that jaclaz would reply with some sarcastic note.

Will there never be anything more than a brief nod to linux in here?

Who knows? :dubbio:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Que_Sera,_Sera_(Whatever_Will_Be,_Will_Be)

Maybe, just maybe, you could start some Linux related topics and see if there is response in the audience.

jaclaz

22 hours ago, jaclaz said:

start some Linux related topics and see if there is response in the audience.

jaclaz

If I were the most informed, talented, creative individual this world has ever seen then contributing would of course be a good thing and easily done. Instead, what I expect is for all my contributions to sound as though they are farts being played through an elevator intercom.

I'll see if I can pull "creative writing that engages an audience" out of my a**, but I can't promise any of it is going to be good. Or even get read by anybody given this here ghost town.

I promise you I'll have a go though. I've gone through a lot of old distros to find my "comfiest", so I can talk about that to begin with.

23 hours ago, jaclaz said:
On 1/22/2018 at 7:33 PM, Cawsign said:

As a matter of fact the point is exactly that (with all due exceptions ;)) most people here are not "fans" of one Os or the other, they are (largely) "simple" users of it, more or less desperately trying to have the stupid thingy work as it should, in some cases (please read as "often") notwithstanding the efforts of the good MS guys to make Windows (you choose) either Android or an X-Box.

Microsoft is in the name and has certainly been our historical strength...but I've always thought of our community as one of general hackers (tinkerers).  We want to make our OS do things we like even if the developer didn't intend for that.  There's certainly a place for us Linux types here :)