Corrupt Java Install

noles20

@all

At this point I will inform that it seems that it is not possible to test Java in IE8 because of the min TLS (and / or cipher) versions Java.com support.

I will do some research tomorrow and come back...

But think about that it is not really necessary to have Java in any browser on inet by default - no need to use and to much security trouble ...

If you have no problems to see the information presented on an site (with Java disabled by default in all browsers) you DO NOT NEED JAVA. That's the very very most situation at this time!

:)

For the moment quick and dirty: it works in IE8 if you have proper installed HTTPSProxy to support higer TLS / cipher versions in XP.

Java IE8.JPG

HTTPSProxy.JPG

Edited by Thomas S.
test and solution

14 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Thanks, that's fine now.
:yes:
I did wonder about replacing javacpl.cpl with the newer version in \system32.
Does that matter?
:dubbio:

No (I think :) ).

The Java control panel has the image (program) path pointing to (Java v131 on Win 7, tested with Process Explorer)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_131\bin\javaw.exe"

with parameters like:

-Xbootclasspath/a:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_131\bin\..\lib\deploy.jar"  -Djava.locale.providers=HOST,JRE,SPI -Duser.home="C:\Users\xxxxxxxx"  com.sun.deploy.panel.ControlPanel

Nothing with the *.cpl, it may be that the *.cpl only is for starting this program (if it is adressed by the *.cpl, I don't test this).

15 hours ago, Thomas S. said:

At this point I will inform that it seems that it is not possible to test Java in IE8 because of the min TLS (and / or cipher) versions Java.com support.

So, the Java version 8u152 will possibly stay the last version supporting IE8?

19 hours ago, Yellow Horror said:

So, the Java version 8u152 will possibly stay the last version supporting IE8?

Wrong conclusion. You can see three posts above that Java v161 is tested as working on IE8. :)

The (Java) test routine is automatically downloading from Java.com if You go to the Java test site on Java.com.

To do so You need an working connection to Java.com

But Win XP (and IE8) supports only older HTTPS (TLS 1.0), not newer protocols like TLS 1.1 / 1.2 ... :huh:

It seems that Java.com has stopped old protocol support, so no connection by default with XP / IE8.

To connect inet with XP / IE8 and new protocols You have to install special software - else You are lost.

Easy description: The software (an HTTPS proxy) "convert" the old protocol to the new one and do basic certificate management.

So You can get the connection and can download and test Java support in IE8.

Other sites with Java code, connecting / running in "normal" IE8 will use the new v161 for sure...

But this is a rather theoretical discussion, because IE8 does not support modern built sites anyway - and Java is even less used, so that is anyway rather useless.

I have disabled Java in all browsers by default, never seen any problem with any sites content. I need Java only for one program that is written in Java script.

Edited by Thomas S.

Java worked on IE8 all the time if it is enabled in browser (via Java control panel) and not disabled on any other way (thats the standard situation).

This is also with the actual version v161.

When You can't test it with the Java test site from Java.com it is NOT right to conclude "it is not working".

You can only conclude that test via Java.com is not working in the standard environment, but You have to look exact  why.

Something is strange here.
My understanding is that you can't test Java in IE8 on any https sites as most don't now work in IE8 anyway, and that's been the case for quite some time.
However I now can't find any Java test pages that work, which I'm sure I did some months ago when I last tried.
I was assuming that was because of the latest versions of Java which had lost compatibility with IE8.
The sites that I can load either say that Java isn't installed/enabled or just produce white boxes with red crosses in the top left corner where the applets should be.
The add-ons are present and enabled in IE8, but the Java Control Panel shows both Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla family unchecked, and if I check them they've reverted to unchecked when I look again.
Strange, as Java is working fine in Firefox!
Obviously this is not really a problem, but I don't like things not working when I don't know why!
Anything else I can check? It is a manual install of Java 8 Update 162, and everything else about the installation seems to be fine.

Here (above) I show that IE8 is tested OK with running Java v161:

Java v161 running in IE8

There is Java code running and confirm the actual status of IE8 online with Java.com.

So what You can understad is that Java is supported in IE8.

Difficult to understand is why You can't test this with Your configuration.

And I can't say, what is on Your configuration missing / wrong set.

You have to understand that XP is not really a up to date platform that support actual HTTPS connection to inet.

This was it I installed and configured with an HTTPSProxy to get a working connection to Java.com.

And this has nothing to do with the support of Java in IE8, because it was the configuration of the external connection to inet that solved the problem.

I can understand why it's not working on https sites, you have worked around that by adding the HTTPSProxy.
What I don't understand is why it's not now working on http Java test sites either, which I'm sure it used to on at least some of them.
Also why the setting in the Java Control Panel isn't "sticking".
IIRC the "Mozilla Family" one never did stick, although Java still worked in Firefox and Opera, but the IE one certainly did.

Can You give me the http site adress(es)? So I can look whats goig on there!

I have looked at this site with http and it works (Java ist running), but then stopped because of my security setup (blocked also in FF 52 ESR).

http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/das2/javaPlatformTest.jbf.html#test

Java.JPG

And if I configure my security settings to run Java with an "unsave site" this is the result in IE8 (drawings with Java script):

Java2.JPG

Edited by Thomas S.

On 06.02.2018 at 6:48 PM, Thomas S. said:

It seems that Java.com has stopped old protocol support, so no connection by default with XP / IE8.

I think, this is untrue conclusion, because the same test page works correctly w/o any proxy with Java 8u152 in IE8/XP.

1 hour ago, Yellow Horror said:

I think, this is untrue conclusion, because the same test page works correctly w/o any proxy with Java 8u152 in IE8/XP.

You are right! Just tried the same test site, it works with Java v161 in direct XP / IE8 https connection. Three days ago not... <_<

So all Java versions properly working on my machine, very good! :)

Java3.JPG

Edited by Thomas S.