Firefox doesn't look the same after update to 1.5.7

Recently my pc updated to the Fall Creators update 1709 (16299.125) for windows, I uninstalled AeroGlass before the update but forgot to uninstall uxstyle which stopped me from changing themes until I disabled the unsigned themes service (The unsigned themes service has since dissapeared for some reason).  Since the update Firefox doesn't look the same as it used to, the menu bar used to have the glass effect on it but now it doesn't, previously I was using an Aero theme from Deviantart made by sagorpirbd but they don't work for me in 1709 so I am using a theme atlas image by Xemnes that I was told about elsewhere in the forum which gives me the aero borders. 

Here is what Firefox used to look like (sagorpirbd),

before.thumb.jpg.f8f0e22dde7fb0c137258cea3f3fbb42.jpg

And now it looks like this (Xemnes),

after.thumb.jpg.abec26a0ea1a6cb7d62aad0b93aee436.jpg

Anyone know how to fix this?  I have tried 'GlassMyFox' but that turns too much of it to the glass effect.

Cheers.

Also the symbol files haven't downloaded yet so i'm not sure if that would have something to do with it or not.

I don't think it's Aeroglass, I think it's the new Firefox.  Firefox Quantum broker all the addons.  I was using classic theme restorer and glassmyfox to make my menu/tab/etc.. bars transparent.  The new firefox broke them all :(

Thanks for the replys everyone.  I forgot to mention that i'm using Firefox 56 and not Quantum, I guess i'll just have to live with it.  The strange thing is i'm sure that when I first started using Aero Glass about 18 months ago I didn't have the full glass effect on Firefox then one day after a windows update and the symbols files downloading that it suddenly had the glass effect.

The problem is related to FCU build of Windows 10. They changed something in default theme so the whatever element Firefox uses for menus is no longer marked to have transparency. You need a replacement theme, overriding atlas image alone is not sufficient.

t6ycAkC.png

Edited by UCyborg

2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

The problem is related to FCU build of Windows 10. They changed something in default theme so the whatever element Firefox uses for menus is no longer marked to have transparency. You need a replacement theme, overriding atlas image alone is not sufficient.

t6ycAkC.png

I've been trying to find a replacement theme but haven't found anything that works yet.  When I install the themes and go into the theme settings screen all the themes look the same.  When I apply them all that changes is the colour scheme, the rest of it stays as the windows 10 default theme.   I think something may be broken in the theme picker.

You need a working patcher that allows usage of unsigned themes. There's no ideal solution, but if you are careful and switch to default theme before installing a major update, UltraUXThemePatcher works the best. Though any update could replace one of the theming DLLs with unpatched one, so Windows will likely BSOD when trying to load unsigned theme if you forget to switch back. There are also UxTSB DLLs by BigMuscle in the other thread somewhere in this forum section, but the only way to use them is either by letting Aero Glass inject it at logon, which may not work reliably, or use AppInitDLLs method, which doesn't work on computers with secure boot. And even then, not everything works 100% properly, eg. you can't switch to a  theme by double-clicking .theme file in Explorer.

Edited by UCyborg
Minor corrections

I have tried both UltraUXThemePatcher and UxTSB recently but they don't make any difference either, I think something has been broken when I forgot to remove UxStyle before the update to FCU and the problems I had with the unsigned themes service crashing the theme picker and then disappearing.  I'll give the AppInitDLLs method a try tomorrow but if that doesn't work i'll just have to make do with how it is at the moment.

Thanks for the help.

UxStyle consists of a service and a driver. Do any of the following commands from administrative Command Prompt return any positive results:

sc query UnsignedThemes
sc query uxstyle

If so, and if UxStyle cannot be removed from Control Panel->Programs and Features, these can be used to purge references from registry which will prevent all parts of UxStyle from running:

sc delete UnsignedThemes
sc delete uxstyle

Then reboot and delete the following files:

C:\Windows\unsignedthemes.exe
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\elytsxu.sys

UxStyle hasn't worked properly in years now. Best to avoid it like plague. It's not updated anymore and nobody forked it to fix it. Even Microsoft noticed and is blocking its installer:

joQeF2P.png

Edited by UCyborg

Nothing came back for UnsignedThemes but I did get something for uxstyle so deleted that.  After rebooting and trying the various theme patching options themes are still not working.  I've tried a few different themes but non of them solve my issue with Firefox.

However this is where I look like a complete id*** as i've found a setting in Classic Theme Restorer that gives me the appearance I want.

ctr.thumb.jpg.ec32cadec55d7b8c18141e007a279974.jpg

Thanks again for all your help.

Interesting, I went really quick through those options and must have overlooked this one. It's unchecked on my end. For some reason, it doesn't change anything with (certain) custom themes. I tried loading default theme from the previous Windows build and it's ineffective with it as well. This could explain why you noticed the change without changing anything on your own, besides upgrading Windows and Aero Glass. You also don't get this grey menu background color on Windows 8.1, it always has the same appearance as the title bar.

WebExtensions can not modify browsers appearance in Firefox 57+

The only way to modify ui is adding custom CSS code to userChrome.css and userContent.css files inside browsers profile folder.
Keep in mind CSS code can not create entirely new items, buttons or toolbars. It only can modify already present ui items

i modified my own UI by ARIS code you can find it here : https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx/releases/tag/1.5.7

DGKBf2X.png
zua5JRQ.png
2vZQmUI.png

Edited by ZiyaadMuhammad

On 19. 1. 2018 at 8:04 AM, ZiyaadMuhammad said:

WebExtensions can not modify browsers appearance in Firefox 57+

True, but we were discussing version 56. :) Workarounds for the new Quantum are appreciated though.

On 16. 1. 2018 at 9:45 AM, bigmuscle said:

It is Firefox bug that it does not accept system settings but always tries to imitate Win10 UWP appearance.

I'm afraid it's more like a feature that has become popular to implement.

And for what? Your average clueless Windows user won't bother with a custom theme. How is the frame of a classic Win32 application when using default theme different? It uses virtually identical graphical resources, doesn't shrink when maximized and lacks the application icon on the left side.

Microsoft and this whole "unified experience across all devices" or whatever they call it. Look at Office 2016 (and 2013). Heck, Remote Desktop app for Android looks like an UWP app.

There is also a way to make Firefox ignore any Windows 10 theme specifications, although I'm not sure if this would help in this particular case. To try this do the following:

First grab these two programs and install them.

Resource Hacker: http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

Notepad++: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.5.3.html

Now open firefox.exe in Resource Hacker and navigate to

24 --> 1 --> 1033

and you should see a bunch of text on the right side of Resource Hacker. Scroll all the way to the bottom till you see four lines starting with:

<supportedOS Id=

delete the first line so only three supportedOS Id= lines remain and then press on Compile Script. Then just save the file under a new name anywhere. After that open the new .exe file you saved with Notepad++, don't change anything but just go to "Save as..." and save it with yet another filename, then just rename that file to firefox.exe and replace your actual firefox.exe with it.

Start Firefox and enjoy :)

The last step with re-saving the file with Notepad++ may seem weird and unnecessary but for some reason saving the file like that forces the compiled manifest to be updated so Firefox "forgets" what Windows 10 is.

Edited by SkyySX