Explorer.exe and file sizes in Win9x

Feamane

Hi,

FAT32 supports files up to just less than 4GB.  I'm running 98Lite Sleek with the Win95 explorer.exe (v4.00.950)  I can create files on the HD of say 3GB size with 7-Zip and the files are valid--I can share the drive on the 98 box and use a XP box to move the files.  If I copy them to the XP box they are good files, not corrupted.  So it's not a file system problem or an OS problem.  But I can't do anything with files >2GB with explorer, it gives me an "Error Copying File,,, The parameter is incorrect" message.  Is this a known limitation with the Win95 explorer that I just can't find mention of anywhere?  Does the Win98 explorer (v4.72.3110.1) have support for the same 4GB file sizes as FAT32?

Thanks,

DJ

1 hour ago, Destro said:

fat32 limitation explorer version is irrelevant. 

Care to expand on this? :dubbio:

FAT32 limitatin is 2^32-1, aka 4,294,967,295 bytes.

OP is talking of a limitation at around 2 Gb, possibly specific to the Windows 95 Explorer (he has no issues whatsoever with non-explorer up to 4 Gb).

jaclaz

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

OP is talking of a limitation at around 2 Gb, possibly specific to the Windows 95 Explorer (he has no issues whatsoever with non-explorer up to 4 Gb).

jaclaz

Dead horse but also I don't think he is using the latest osr2.1 explorer.  Can't find the update online but I know i have it on a CD somwhere.  Its Explorer.exe shell update for computers without IE4.  Doubt that would fix his problem but it might fix problems he doesn't know he has.

Edited by Destro

9 hours ago, jaclaz said:

jaclaz

Exactly.  Do I need to replace the Windows 95 Explorer to manage files in the 2-4Gb range?  It seems there is a mismatch between the max file size of FAT32 and the max file size that explorer.exe v4.00.950 can handle.  Before I start going through the trouble of swapping out versions of Explorer I'd like to confirm if this is indeed the issue.

Thanks,

DJ

OK, good to know it is a known problem.  I found the patch on your website and the readme says there is a separate version for win95, I would need that if I want to continue running LitePC Sleek, correct?  I don't see the other version on the web page.

Also, I'm using KernelEx 4.5.1, which modifies the image of kernel32.dll in memory if I understand it correctly.  Is that compatible with COPY2GB?

Thanks!

DJ

14 hours ago, Destro said:

Dead horse but also I don't think he is using the latest osr2.1 explorer.  Can't find the update online but I know i have it on a CD somwhere.  Its Explorer.exe shell update for computers without IE4.  Doubt that would fix his problem but it might fix problems he doesn't know he has.

Sure :), last time my car didn't start in the morning I changed wheels and tires first thing and that did solve the issue of poor handling in tight curves, but  - curiously enough - only after a mechanic replaced the battery and managed to start the car. 

@Feamane

Some (historical only) info for you:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

14 hours ago, Feamane said:

OK, good to know it is a known problem.  I found the patch on your website and the readme says there is a separate version for win95, I would need that if I want to continue running LitePC Sleek, correct?  I don't see the other version on the web page.

Also, I'm using KernelEx 4.5.1, which modifies the image of kernel32.dll in memory if I understand it correctly.  Is that compatible with COPY2GB?

Thanks!

DJ

I have never used the "lite" versions of 98. You probably are using the 98 version of KERNEL32.DLL. KernelEx should be OK.

I checked my Kernel32.dll and it shows version 4.10.0.2222, that is Win98SE correct?  So I can try to replace the current Kernel32.dll with the KERNEL32.DLL version 4.10.2225 from your patch and leave the KernelEx 4.5.1. in place and it might resolve the issue?

Thanks,

DJ

KernelEx v4.5.2 patches Kernel32.dll in memory. KernelEx v4.5.1 patches Kernel32.dll on disk, however v4.5 Final Changelog.txt states: "KernelEx doesn't need to be reinstalled anymore if kernel32 is updated".

I just was able to confirm that replacing KERNEL32.DLL version 4.10.0.2222 (Win98SE) with 4.10.2225 (from rloew)  resolves the problem.  I am now able to manipulate files 2-4Gb in size via Explorer.  Just for the record, even though the KernelEx tab reports that I have KernelEx v4.5.120 installed, when I checked Add/Remove programs it shows I have KernelEx v4.5.2 installed.  So it is the combination of KERNEL32.DLL v4.10.2225 and KernelEx v4.5.2 that is working for me.

Thank you everyone for helping me out with this!

Best regards,

DJ

On 1/16/2018 at 6:28 PM, jumper said:

KernelEx v4.5.2 patches Kernel32.dll in memory. KernelEx v4.5.1 patches Kernel32.dll on disk, however v4.5 Final Changelog.txt states: "KernelEx doesn't need to be reinstalled anymore if kernel32 is updated".

So you are saying that KernelEx is redundant with KERNEL32.DLL v4.10.2225?

Thanks,

DJ