YouTube WORKING! With Opera 12.02

Ironman69

http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/wiki/Opera

Opera 12.02 is probably THE MOST modern browser you can run.

YouTube works, because it's using the HTML5 player, which Opera 12.02 supports.

YouTube DOES NOT have the flash player version any more, it was removed.

Now, the flash player version did work better on slower machines. Since it was removed, people are not happy with the performance of the HTML5 player under Opera.

People, which people? For me the html5 player works better/faster than Flash did. VP8/Vorbis only streams since the bundled gstreamer runtime doesn't support newer codecs but that's actually surprisingly fine as far as quality goes. 

Edited by loblo

loblo I respect your views but I disagree that it worked better now.  Flash has wide industry support hardware acceleration in gpus, and cpus.  HTML5 does not then and does not now.  HTML5 video is still in it's infancy compared to flash and has little to no hardware acceleration support especially on 98 lol

Edited by Destro

Do you use 9x and Opera 12 those days? I bet you don't otherwise you wouldn't do generic comments like that but instead would speak about your first hand experience using the new youtube with Opera 12 on your 9x system...

• 2 weeks later...

For me the html5 player works better/faster than Flash did. VP8/Vorbis only streams since the bundled gstreamer runtime doesn't support newer codecs but that's actually surprisingly fine as far as quality goes. 

I'm pretty sure my Turion has an in-built flash decoder but none such for html5. Not that it matters anymore. Since it's linux now (and a variant with little to none in the way of proprietary or deprecated software) flash doesn't run at all and html5 requires clearance around the machine to avoid thermal shut-off. It's the price that I'm paying for free beer. I may turn it into a headless firewall and be done with it.

Performance matters less to me than choice. What are your options when it comes to 9x? Midori? Otter browser? Palemoon? K-meleon? I'm pretty sure most of these will have dependencies that don't translate well to something so old. I have something in the back of my mind about Chrome v51 working... Is that true?

lobo I only use 9x as a toy, I have a big boy system that I use normally. yea I tried it, it's utter crap on a pentium 3.  Might work ok on fast computer with 9x.  I have no use to run 9x on a later computer when I can run win 7 7 64.

• 2 weeks later...

I note that when Ironman69 shows the Opera version in the video, the OS is shown as Windows 98se.  I was under the impression that for Opera 12.02 to be installed on Win-98, you had to set a couple of registry keys to indicate the OS was (at least) Windows 2000 (indeed, that is what Opera shows on my win-98 system).   And I just checked, and no, my Opera 12.02 still can't play youtube videos, although I've messed with a lot of files and I'm probably running the 12.18 Opera.exe with 12.02 Opera.dll so I can't be sure if not being able to play youtube is my fault.   Has anyone else with win-98 and Opera 12.02 been able to duplicate Ironman69's claim?

Edit:  Or it could have been that installing some recent version of Flash, you needed to set the registry to indicate Windows 2000 or higher? But that would have been years ago.

Edited by Nomen

2 hours ago, Ath73 said:

Opera 12.02 plays YouTube videos fine here (full screen don't work). WinME with Kernelex 4.5.2 Windows 2000 sp4 mode.

Go to one of those sites that will display your user-agent and post here what it says about your Opera user-agent string.