Wireless Connection, Windows 8.1

Glenn9999

I don't know about stability, but regarding functionality, it's possible to bring back the interface from Windows 7's Control Panel to manage wireless networks using a system file from Windows 7.

I don't have access to Windows 7.  By "functionality" I mean the thing just doesn't work sometimes.  I get a "No Internet" message when I connect and a "IP configuration not valid" message when I try to diagnose the connection.  I can attempt the connection a bunch of times and reset the hardware and finally get it to work again (like it is now).  Even getting it to work at all was a challenge.  I had to tweak a bunch of settings like disallowing QOS to even get the thing to function at all.  Then (of course), the settings don't STAY set.  So it just turns into a pure PITA.

From what I get reading around, this is not a unique experience.  I gather that wireless functionality under 8.1 is seriously broken as to be near useless.  So maybe the right question I should be asking is if someone has gotten wireless networking to work under 8.1 100% of the time?

Edited by Glenn9999

Oh, I've had Windows 8.1 on my laptop for some time and didn't experience any reliability issues then, so I don't have any suggestions for your case specifically. Apart for basic things like making sure you have updated drivers for the wireless card and experimenting with advanced settings under wireless card's properties in Device Manager. Though none of that helped me when I had a weird problem with wireless on Windows 10 where the d*** thing always disconnected after half-minute...the workaround was to manually connect rather than let it connect on its own. This was a bit special case as it only happened when the wireless card was bridged with the wired one and was fixed after some time without any special intervention, I assume it was an update.

I only posted the instructions in the other thread for how to make use of Windows 7's DLL without uploading it somewhere, since it's not redistributable and I'd rather play it safe. Though you have those weird websites hosting various DLLs...still best to take it from authentic source.

Edited by UCyborg