WinXP Drivers for GTX 9xx and 10xx video cards

Mike100

The latest nVidia card officially supporting Windows XP is a GeForce GTX960. This one is probably the latest from GTX960 family of cards released mid-2016. I bought two such cards in the January this year. Now they probably do not sell anymore. GTX970 and GTX980Ti will probably work too, but You need to edit the inf file of the driver (368.81 or 368.91 iCafe) and add a string with proper VEN_ and DEV_ codes for Your particular card.

GTX10XX and later will not work, in my opinion...

• 2 weeks later...

Great thanks I'll have a look, though I was interested in low profile. I will amend my previous assertion and say that the GTX 950 Low profile edition is probably the smallest card to be supported by XP.

Expert-Oriented-GeForce-GTX-950-LP-a-510

Edited by shorterxp

7 hours ago, shorterxp said:

Great thanks I'll have a look, though I was interested in low profile. I will amend my previous assertion and say that the GTX 950 Low profile edition is probably the smallest card to be supported by XP.

:w00t:

That Exists in low profile?

I'm going to have to get one for my desktop case system

Japan only it seems, but Galax has a European brand called KFA2, which also has the low profile 950 available. Expect them to be unobtainable in the EU, let alone in US (unfortunately for you) :P. IF I ever get one I'll post it you (will I f***, lol)

1483456-n0.jpg

Edited by shorterxp

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, psychoticgiraffe said:

BUMP: Did anyone have any luck with getting 10 series cards to work using the inf mod?

if so, what exactly did you do? an example file that worked would be nice to have.

Don't hold your breath. :}

The 10 series barely works in Vista (it doesn't work with DirectX properly), and Vista is way closer to Windows 7 than XP.

• 1 year later...

Hi has anybody ever managed to get GEFORCE 10xx series working on XP (32 bit, SP3)

I got a Gigabyte GT 1030 silent 2GB (Hardware ID: 1D01) works great on 7 but can't get a peep out of it on XP.

I downloaded the iCafe driver and edited the inf.  Tried all the section modes.  Installer works perfectly, but after reboot Hardware manager says "Device cannot start"

It is presumed that it doesn't work because this one needs the NVLDDMKM.SYS driver.

Failing that I'll send it back, shame tho.  What should I change it for that'll work well with 7 x64 and XP x32.  Should have 2Gb DDR5 and be fanless.  Full Profile is fine.  Nice and fast for Hungry Windows Apps.

On 10/31/2019 at 7:04 PM, LincolnG said:

Hi has anybody ever managed to get GEFORCE 10xx series working on XP (32 bit, SP3)

I got a Gigabyte GT 1030 silent 2GB (Hardware ID: 1D01) works great on 7 but can't get a peep out of it on XP.

I downloaded the iCafe driver and edited the inf.  Tried all the section modes.  Installer works perfectly, but after reboot Hardware manager says "Device cannot start"

It is presumed that it doesn't work because this one needs the NVLDDMKM.SYS driver.

Failing that I'll send it back, shame tho.  What should I change it for that'll work well with 7 x64 and XP x32.  Should have 2Gb DDR5 and be fanless.  Full Profile is fine.  Nice and fast for Hungry Windows Apps.

I do not think that you will be able to get it working properly in XP.

If you're looking in buying new, your only options really are GT 730, 710 and 210. Second hand would be a better bet. I got a GTX 970 for just 90 euros last year and it has been doing a flawless job in both XP x64 and x32 ever since.

7 hours ago, Windows 2000 said:

I do not think that you will be able to get it working properly in XP.

If you're looking in buying new, your only options really are GT 730, 710 and 210. Second hand would be a better bet. I got a GTX 970 for just 90 euros last year and it has been doing a flawless job in both XP x64 and x32 ever since.

Thanks for that.  I have a GT 430 1G DDR3, do you think that a GT730 2GB DDR5 would offer much of an improvement in XP x32 SP3 (Card must be silent, no fans).  I tried a GT 710, which was fine in XP but was constantly crashing in Windows 7.  I'm between a rock and a hard-place, I have essential hardware that won't work on newer motherboards and software that has long since been discontinued.  I currently use a dual boot system XP x32 SP3 & Windows 7 on a GIGABYTE GA-H55M-D2 motherboard.

11 hours ago, LincolnG said:

Thanks for that.  I have a GT 430 1G DDR3, do you think that a GT730 2GB DDR5 would offer much of an improvement in XP x32 SP3 (Card must be silent, no fans).  I tried a GT 710, which was fine in XP but was constantly crashing in Windows 7.  I'm between a rock and a hard-place, I have essential hardware that won't work on newer motherboards and software that has long since been discontinued.  I currently use a dual boot system XP x32 SP3 & Windows 7 on a GIGABYTE GA-H55M-D2 motherboard.

It is probably worth it as it won't break the piggy bank and after all you're getting a new unused gpu which will guarantee atleast a few years of usage and it will also be less power hungry and a little quieter. If memory serves me right, there were even fanless versions of the gt730. The faster memory of that card will also be very beneficial for some light gaming.

Hello and thanks again.  Yes, ASUS make a GT730 2GB DDR5, although I don't think that my CPU clock can make best use of the DDR5.  The PC is in a recording studio enviroment and it is any important that nothing causes too much latency or else you get gitter or lag on play back - I think this is why a lot of the stuff was never transisioned to later Windows versions.

• 2 months later...