98lite and Unofficial Sevice Pack sp3

nakos937

Hello guys!
Can you provide me some instructions how to get these two to work on the same machine?
the sp3 pack gives errors while installing, and upon rebooting, it breaks the explorer.exe from Windows 95 (98micro).

It's been awhile since I used shell swap.  I used to have a few slow machines and that was mandatory.  Since then I no longer have/use those and my slowest 98 rig is 800mhz.  I mainly choose chubby.  If I remember correctly you need to use the old version of the service pack.  Its service pack 2.1a.  There is also a newer version of the 95 shell that is not in the service pack.  Also if you do a shell swap you cannot install IE6 or pretty much IE updates.  Some of them are going to want to change your explorer.

Yea IE is evil.  Unfortunately the newer explorer is needed for new API calls.  Some programs will not install or work with 95 shell.  Thats the problem.  Kernel EX will also not work properly or at all with shell swap.

I suggest to you if you really want to go down this rout that you use this file.  As its going to add some missing API hooks that you might need.  It will also allow you to use kernel EX with 95 shell as well I am not certain on Kernel EX version any more its been a long time

http://www.geocities.ws/liuwoonyung/SH95UPD/index.html

1. So use 98lite Micro

2. SP 2.1A

3. SH95UPD ( read page carefully) There is mentions of needing to hexedit desk.cpl

4. Older version of Kernel EX (not sure on version)

5. Mostly working 98 with shell swap that isn't buggy or broken.

Edited by Destro