Thank You Big Muscle For New Aero Glass Build 1.5.7

13 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

I would help and fix it but I don't see such issue on any of my computers.

Does it happen in some specific situation? Multiple windows, UWP app window in way or something special?

Thx @bigmuscle,
It's difficult to pinpoint, but it seems that the AeroGlass blurring is interfering with screen drawing/refresh timing of the display in general.  Sometimes ghosted window shadows are left as windows are closed (from multiple apps), the TrueLaunch Bar app often leaves artifacts, and the ribbon display on MindManager 2018 is not properly displayed. turning off window 'animations' helps in some cases, the artifacts disappear as soon as they are 'moused 'over' or it the screen is redrawn in any way.  

On 12/25/2017 at 11:00 AM, lucario94 said:

Does anyone have this bug in file explorer with aeroglass and BlurDeviation set to a value higher than 0?

https://webmshare.com/oPOX6

On 12/25/2017 at 1:15 PM, UCyborg said:

Not getting exactly this one, but I mentioned similar glitches in the other thread. I can confirm they disappear when turning off blur.

Many users have reported these artifacts issues. I have a simple intel i7 system with onboard HD 630 graphics and no custom anything on it.

The above video (from "lucario94") best illustrates one of the many typical artifact scenarios that happens...
https://webmshare.com/oPOX6

Thx for looking into this... -JT

Also worth mentioning, I get very minor glitches under specific circumstances on my Windows 8.1 install as well. Disabling blurring also gets rid of them there. They're the easiest to spot on alt-tab switcher, I use the one from Windows Vista, which has a glassy appearance. Having more windows open helps make it glitch in this case, although when it comes to the glitch in general, this isn't needed.

It's pretty random. I don't know much graphics programming, but maybe blurring could be done differently? Could some drivers be cheating/taking faster code paths when it comes to compositing since glass effect isn't the official feature of DWM anymore? One more idea, is it possible to force usage of software rasterizer (WARP) for compositing for testing purposes? I know it must fall-back to software rendering when real graphics driver isn't present/is disabled, but I think it would be nice to be able to try that out without messing with drivers.

Edited by UCyborg

Well, I was playing with Aero Glass on my native Windows 10 installation again. After disabling the graphics driver, the glitches that would appear while scrolling in Registry Editor disappeared, but I can still reproduce that redraw bug related to blurring with QTTabBar's context menu (when you right-click on the tab bar, not a tab). Hovering with mouse over "Toolbars" almost always results in the submenu not being fully drawn the first time around.

On 1/11/2018 at 9:41 AM, bigmuscle said:

I would help and fix it but I don't see such issue on any of my computers.

Does it happen in some specific situation? Multiple windows, UWP app window in way or something special?

Do all of your computers have nvidia gpu? Maybe these glitches happen only on intel and amd gpus.

Ive had to uninstall the latest version. I use Remote Desktop a lot and when glass is installed it becomes practically unusable.

The rdp hosts are multiple onsite servers (no internet latency) and the RDP quality settings are maxed out.

When editing a powershell script for example just selecting a block of text causes the middle of the selection to appear as if it is not selected. When I then click to deselect the text it remains highlighted for 10+ seconds until the display finally refreshes.

I'm on build 1709

Edited by TPreston

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Good point about Remote Desktop. Check this out:

xqJvDY2.png

Looks familiar?

In my case I have not got glass installed on the computer within the RDP connection (Server 2016). Its not just visual artifacts its gamebreaking stuff like text not updating when scrolling, the display not updating when cutting text (it shows the text still there) etc

Edited by TPreston

11 hours ago, TPreston said:

I've had to uninstall the latest version. I use Remote Desktop a lot and when glass is installed it becomes practically unusable.

The rdp hosts are multiple onsite servers (no internet latency) and the RDP quality settings are maxed out.

When editing a powershell script for example just selecting a block of text causes the middle of the selection to appear as if it is not selected. When I then click to deselect the text it remains highlighted for 10+ seconds until the display finally refreshes.

I'm on build 1709

This is really a shame.  I wish @bigmuscle could help here with so many of us suffering from these artifact/glitches!  I have gotten so sick of these AeroGlass artifacts that, for this first time ever, I decided to downgrade my Windows 10 to version 1703 (RS2) and use the (reliable) AeroGlass v1.5.6.

I really hope BigMuscle can work with us to create a new reliable/patched version, Otherwise, I'm just going to sit on the sidelines and wait for the next windows version (Redstone 4).  :( -JT

19 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I don't get any glitches with Aero Glass 1.5.7 on Windows 10 version 1703.

Thx, Good to know!

13 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

Fine, I was able to reproduce the problem using the remote desktop, so let see if it helps to fix it :)

Looking forward to testing! :cool: