Windows 10 update 1079 has broken AeroGlass

Juche

I've tried uninstalls and re-installs, editing the registry, and restarted multiple times but transparency has disappeared completely and the taskbar is back to the old default ways. Will there be an update for this? Metro is incredibly distracting. :angry:

6 hours ago, UCyborg said:

There's only experimental build for 64-bit Windows 10 version 1709 in the Experimental versions section requiring manual installation. 32-bit variant of Aero Glass is no longer developed.

Aw seriously? Why not? I've donated :(

Are there any alternatives? I really don't want to go back to metro after two years of using AeroGlass...

4 hours ago, Juche said:

Aw seriously? Why not? I've donated :(

Are there any alternatives? I really don't want to go back to metro after two years of using AeroGlass...

Microsoft keeps changing windows, so the author has to keep changing aeroglass everytime Microsoft rolls out a big update and messes with windows.    It's been going on for years.  It makes us all dread the annual (And now bi-annual) major win10 updates.  They always break aeroglass.

16 hours ago, Juche said:

Are there any alternatives?

Nothing like Aero Glass I'm afraid. WindowBlinds can be configured to provide glass effect, though it comes with extra bells and whistles; its own skinning engine. It's also somewhat heavier and at one point, it was said somewhere that its way of doing things is not the most optimal, don't know if this still applies.

Even the current experimental build of AG seems to be the hit or miss whether it works properly or not.

On 12/13/2017 at 1:42 PM, UCyborg said:

Nothing like Aero Glass I'm afraid. WindowBlinds can be configured to provide glass effect, though it comes with extra bells and whistles; its own skinning engine. It's also somewhat heavier and at one point, it was said somewhere that its way of doing things is not the most optimal, don't know if this still applies.

Even the current experimental build of AG seems to be the hit or miss whether it works properly or not.

Yup, Window Blinds is still the same old bloat machine it has always been. The thing is Window Blinds serves their themes from within their software, which is why Window Blinds runs in the system tray whereas a "true" third party custom theme is served from the C:\Windows\Resources\Themes folder, like they should be. Starbloat serves their themes from within the software and uses the .wba extension with the idea they can keep Window Blinds themes sort of "proprietary", meaning their themes have to have Window Blinds to run and will not run without it, that is until someone can figure how to dismantle a .wba theme that can be ported to msstyle, when and if that happens, Starbloat will probably sink, nothing is impossible, all it takes is one or a group of people on a mission to figure it out.

They thought they cornered the market when Start8 could skin the taskbar, that was until we got Tihly to get StartIsBack to do the same thing and IMO StartIsBack does it better.

There are only about 5% of the total Window Blind themes I would like to see ported, the rest I can leave behind, the only Window Blind theme artist IMO that makes the ONLY worthwhile themes for Window Blinds is neone6, this guy makes some badassed themes, I really wish the guy would jump ship and start designing msstyle themes, there is some real talent there and it's being wasted.

Edited by DarkKnight

I find that, in Windows 10, Windowblinds themes do not always give consistent effects - the last time I used it, there was much greater difference between the titlebars of various kinds of Windows applications than was the case if I used Glass8. That said, Stardock's proprietary engine does work on all the versions of Windows 10 released thus far, likely thanks to the fact that they are less dependent on Microsoft code than Glass8.

And there's nothing mysterious about wba themes. They're just zip files that could be 'dismantled' with any old archiving application.