Modern Browser Project 2018

Destro

@Yushatak
Oops, sorry! Just notice github doesn't work for me either now :(
But only in RZ2.0 (FF2). In Opera12.12 shows up fine :)
Probably in FF9 too, but don't get it to run at the moment. Probably after OS restart again.

Am afraid the css in FF2 is just far too old. A version of FF3.6 would be already far in advance.

KM74-Goanna shows github fine too - of course.
But that just reminded me now of the third severe bug: whenever opening a page with lots of links, even if it's just a local file (my browser home page) and even if the browser is set offline, it takes forever to load! Don't know what it waits for, but that sleeping time is proportional to the number of links. That means it must be cumulative: consider the first link, then sleep a bit, consider the next link, sleep a bit, now the third link.... just for showing the link page, not opening ANY links! Have already tried to disable all prefs which could be prefetch or preload-related, but nothing helped yet.

Regarding cypher info, in Firefox:
right-click in page, and find view page info. Or doubleclick the little lock icon if it exists.
Then on "security" and the "view" button, it shows details about the certs.

Edited by siria

41 minutes ago, siria said:

Open about:config and filter for TLS
security.tls.version.max = 3 = TLS1.2

There's no security.tls.* settings at all. There are a bunch of cipher suite booleans for ssl3 (and ssl2, not relevant though) toggled in various ways. From what I've seen it's just weak/broken ciphers that shouldn't be used, though I didn't read every single one.

I went to an SSL/TLS version test page earlier (https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html) and it reported TLS 1.2, so I don't think that's the issue anyway.

Edit: Ah, hadn't seen your other post when I wrote this.

15 minutes ago, siria said:

Am afraid the css in FF2 is just far too old. A version of FF3.6 would be already far in advance.

That would only affect rendering as long as we've got the right security protocols and cipher suites. I could understand more if it were crashing or failing while trying to load/render, but it won't even try. The irony is that when I first ran into this problem I was trying to update RetroZilla from 2.0 to 2.1 and found I couldn't get to the download pages because of this, heh. Ended up finding a copy on a random site that wasn't secured the same way in the end (I was stubborn and didn't want to download it on a modern machine).

Edited by Yushatak

Yushatak said: The irony is that when I first ran into this problem I was trying to update RetroZilla from 2.0 to 2.1 and found I couldn't get to the download pages because of this

Yeah, that's exactly the vicious circle! And Sourceforge (which hosts K-Meleon) is also not accessible anymore with old browsers on old systems. Opera12.12 or FF9 are usually the rescue. But learned about those far too late.

Have checked again in KM74goanna:
github shows fine, although the GUI-sheet still ends with "TLS" of course.
When looking in aboutconfig, there are also no special TLS-cyphers. Yet github shows up. No idea where those tls1.2 cyphers are hiding.

Installed RetroZilla on another 98SE system and it refuses to "initialize the browser's security component", and then states that SSL is disabled if you try to navigate to an encrypted page anyway. Read all kinds of fixes for this (Mozilla in general), mostly profile-related, but nothing worked. Was a fresh install of RetroZilla anyway, so I didn't think it would be relevant. Luckily it works on one of my 98SE laptops just fine (other than github and whatever other sites use that particular unsupported cipher or whatever it is) so hopefully I can do a comparison of system file versions and presence and find the difference. I wrote a tool that does that already, so when I have a moment I'll do that and post my findings so that anyone else who runs into that issue can resolve it (assuming I manage to).

Yushatak said:

Installed RetroZilla on another 98SE system and it refuses to "initialize the browser's security component", and then states that SSL is disabled if you try to navigate to an encrypted page anyway

This kind of prob I could always fix by copying over the 3 *.db files from a working profile of another Mozilla browser, for example an old one.

But my impression is strongly that THIS error is KernelEx related. Do you have the same KernelEx versions on both machines, or none? And which Retrozilla version, Firefox or Seamonkey?

3 hours ago, siria said:

This kind of prob I could always fix by copying over the 3 *.db files from a working profile of another Mozilla browser, for example an old one.

But my impression is strongly that THIS error is KernelEx related. Do you have the same KernelEx versions on both machines, or none? And which Retrozilla version, Firefox or Seamonkey?

Running 2016.17 on both from this installer:

..But I did install RetroZilla after KernelEx on the new one, and am not sure what order they were installed on the older machine (though the update from 4.5.2 to 2016.17 was definitely this year). I noticed your post in that thread when getting the link to that installer post, so I suppose this may well be the issue you described here. This is a concerning issue for the new KernelEx - I might roll back to 4.5.2 and test new versions on a VM until there isn't any more regression like this. For now I guess copying the profile should sort this out, thanks for mentioning it.

I was unaware there were different versions of RetroZilla, I've only ever used 2.0 and 2.1 which are both based on SeaMonkey 1.19 as far as I know. I was unaware of any Firefox-based version?

Edited by Yushatak

Frankly I'm not familiar with the Retrozilla versions either, just have installed those two: RZ2.0, which is 'only' a browser and has the blue Firefox Icon, and RZ2.2 by roytam1, which is a Seamonkey 'Suite' incl. Mail/Chat/etc

As I understand it, RZ is built specifically for Win95, so in theory it should run without issues in 98.
Just checked my KernelEx settings: the 2.0 version is on "default" (disabled), but the 2.2 "Suite" version is explicitely set to "Disable KernelEx extensions". Ah now I remember... have posted about it just recently above in this thread... without looking it up not quite sure anymore now, but guess this "security" prob was FIXED by setting Kex to fully "disabled"!

Before installing RZ2.2 I didn't have any security-error probs with my older RZ2.0, even on KernelEx17. Quite the opposite, it worked best at creating new profiles, while most other browsers started failing after that Kex update.
But have struggled with too many browsers and settings and Kex versions lately, am really not sure about all details anymore. But have it all posted above somewhere.
My main focus and prob was always to get KM-Goanna74 (Win2000 build) running better, this one also has the biggest probs of all. And I think K-Meleon1.5.4 recently miraculously healed and could create new profiles again too, incl. security... perhaps it was after deleting all the cached stuff incl. xul.mfl, but would have to read it up again myself.

Edited by siria