Modern Browser Project 2018

Destro

1 hour ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

What did you use to port firefox 3.6 onto NT 4.0?

brain ;)

I modified sources making it able to be compiled with VC2003 for my environment, and then changed some codes to avoid using APIs not available in NT4.

On 12/14/2017 at 5:45 PM, roytam1 said:

brain ;)

I modified sources making it able to be compiled with VC2003 for my environment, and then changed some codes to avoid using APIs not available in NT4.

wait what.., firefox 3.6 can work on nt 4.0? is this an unofficial firefox 3.6 that i can use, how can i use firefox 3.6 on nt 4.0? could this also be possible on windows 95 osr 2.5? 

3 hours ago, cov3rt said:

wait what.., firefox 3.6 can work on nt 4.0? is this an unofficial firefox 3.6 that i can use, how can i use firefox 3.6 on nt 4.0? could this also be possible on windows 95 osr 2.5? 

here:

untested on win9x.

On 17.12.2017 at 10:38 PM, cov3rt said:

It doesn't work. I've just tried it on Windows 95B. Throws an error about a missing function "IsDebuggerPresent" which I could "fix" but it still won't start.

On 12/19/2017 at 8:37 PM, NoNameNeeded said:

It doesn't work. I've just tried it on Windows 95B. Throws an error about a missing function "IsDebuggerPresent" which I could "fix" but it still won't start.

is there any particular reason you would know why it still won't start, even if fixing the missing function part? or in other question, would it practical to found out why and find a solution that can actually allow the browser to work? 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Destro said:

a lot can be achieved but there seems to be little interest in trying to get modern standards web browser working.

It's so sad how true this is. I'd love to have a web browser to just surf the web with... Forum boards, news sites. Just light surfing. 

10 hours ago, jim2029 said:

It's so sad how true this is. I'd love to have a web browser to just surf the web with... Forum boards, news sites. Just light surfing. 

Hmmm, if you are OK without the (mostly senseless) fancy stuff QTWeb works just fine, even if last release is a few years old:

http://www.qtweb.net/

If someone actually wants to continue the development, it is OpenSource:

https://github.com/magist3r/QtWeb

jaclaz

On 1/8/2018 at 7:42 AM, jaclaz said:

Hmmm, if you are OK without the (mostly senseless) fancy stuff QTWeb works just fine, even if last release is a few years old:

http://www.qtweb.net/

If someone actually wants to continue the development, it is OpenSource:

https://github.com/magist3r/QtWeb

jaclaz

Just tried it on windows 98se and it says that it expects a newer version of windows. Upgrade your windows. 

1 hour ago, jim2029 said:

Just tried it on windows 98se and it says that it expects a newer version of windows. Upgrade your windows. 

QTWeb never worked on 9x. In order for it to work, someone's gotta know how to use Qt 4.4.3 and remove NT 5.0 dependencies to make it usable on 9x.

I think there is some misunderstandings.

Using Qt framework is easy!

QTWeb Browser depends on QTWeb Engine from Qt framework!

Even if you succeed to rebuild latest QtWeb Browser using older Qt framework (which I doubt), the functionality of the browser will be downgraded because it will use older engine!

Version of Qt framework used for QTWeb Browser is not compatible with 9x systems!

So, to make latest QtWeb Browser compatible with 9x systems we need to recompile the Qt framework(proper version) itself in such way to be compatible with 9x systems!

I believe that an important thing for an eventual new project moderm browser is the recapcha's (v2) support
https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api2/demo

But today, rather than a new browser, i am absolutely certain that the best option should be to have Opera 12.1x branch capable on Windows 9x.

I wonder what is the main reason(s) because so far kernelex (and company) always fails to run it. Is it really impossible?

It would be great, if someone solves the problem to run 12.1x. I have invested a lot of time without success. We were able to run 12.10 and 12.12 in the background, this means it didn't initialize the GUI. See Kext topic page 13.

The Setup of Qt Web Browser 3.5 and higher requires comp. mode Win2000SP4 and KernelEx must be enabled to run it. Latest Version 3.8.5 based on older Qt framework 4.8.5. Before you allow internet access you must disable Java Script, otherwise QT Web will crash.

Edited by schwups