EDIT

--------------------------

It appears the whole computer has a problem with recognizing a particular file:

erase2.jpg

------------------------

EDIT

-------------------------

SOLVED

I booted into pure dos lunched Norton Commander and from there I could easily delete those files.

That shortcut is for 3½ Floppy that is present in the SendTo menu upon a right click...open that folder in a command window (start -> run -> cmd.exe) and just do type the following: "attrib *.* -s -r" without the quotes followed by: "del 3*.lnk".

OR, you need to install support for language packs. What version of Windows is that 2000? Pagefile.sys is your virtual memory so don't worry about that, I do not know what hiberfil.sys is.

Hope this helps.

Why can't I delete it????

erase.jpg

----------------------------

EDIT

--------------------------

It appears the whole computer has a problem with recognizing a particular file:

erase2.jpg

please go in the safe mode by prressing f8 key before the boot of windows and delete the file

c:\pagefile.sys > help for swaping data between hardisk and memory generally we call it virtual memory.

c:\hiberfile.sys stands for hibernation (sleepmode) if you have selected hibernation from the power options in control panel

hibernation takes hadrdisk space about same size of memory

i.e if memeory is 512kb then 512mb of space will be allocated in harddisk for hibernation . other thing is that one CMOS battery should also support it.

The problem is with the second character used in the name of the file (just after the 3) it's a Latin Small Letter I with a grave

do you use a windows MUI + your specific language ?

If yes, try to toogle in your language :

Start | Settings | control Panel | Regional Options

and select your Input Local.

Click OK.

Open a Command Prompt . Go in each directory where resides the file and type

del 3ìFLOP~1.LNK (i don't know how to reproduce the ì with your keyboard in your language, the ascii code is 00EC, found in charmap.exe)

It should works. I have already have the same problems with special French characters with graves (ie éèàù).

Good luck.

P.S. No matter if NOD32 is trial or Registered version.

please go in the safe mode by prressing f8 key before the boot of windows and delete the file

c:\pagefile.sys > help for swaping data between hardisk and memory generally we call it virtual memory.

c:\hiberfile.sys  stands for hibernation (sleepmode) if you have selected hibernation from the power options in control panel

hibernation takes hadrdisk space about  same size of memory

i.e if memeory is 512kb then 512mb of space will be allocated in harddisk  for hibernation . other thing is that one CMOS battery should also support it.

Tanx, but I don't want do delete PAGEFILE.SYS or HIBERFILE.SYS..

The problem is with the second character used in the name of the file (just after the 3) it's a Latin Small Letter I with a grave

do you use a windows MUI + your specific language ?

If yes, try to toogle in your language :

Start | Settings | control Panel | Regional Options

and select your Input Local.

Click OK.

Open a Command Prompt . Go in each directory where resides the file and type

del 3ìFLOP~1.LNK (i don't know how to reproduce the ì with your keyboard in your language, the ascii code is 00EC, found in charmap.exe)

It should works. I have already have the same problems with special French characters with graves (ie éèàù).

Good luck.

P.S. No matter if NOD32 is trial or Registered version.

What is Windows MUI?

I'm using Win2k SP4 PRO ENG on a FAT32 partition with Central European support for Slovenian characters: čšž

But this characters don't pose any problem. So I doubt that it is language related.

When trying to delete from a dos prompt, this is what I get:

erase3.jpg

BOBX

CHKDSK was run multiple times already...

This is what I get when trying your method:

C:\DOC.OLD\Tomi\SendTo>del 3?FLOP~1.LNK

C:\DOC.OLD\Tomi\SendTo\3ìFLOP~1.LNK

The system cannot find the file specified.

Is this file on your hard drive?

Most files with the squiggly are temporary files opened by some application/program while running. The program places a lock on the file to avoid accidental deletion. Since you're booting Windows 2000 on a FAT32 partition, you could use a DOS bootdisk and navigate your way to that folder and delete the file. The file in question could be hidden and read-only.

Run attrib -s -h -r filename.ext to make the file visible and delete-able.

Have you tried right-clicking the file in Explorer and looking at the properties? It should show if it's read-only, hidden, etc.

Keep us posted.

I ran across this specific bug once or twice. It turns out some characters are not properly handled in file names on NTFS (but I think I've seen this on FAT32 as well). In this case, the file is indeed listed (either by DIR or in explorer), but can't be found by its name.

The trick to delete it is to delete the parent directory (ie. the directory where it sits in) in a command line prompt:

RMDIR /S <dir. name>

In this case, the system doesn't rely on subsequent file names in the directory tree to delete them all; only the parent directory name. It probably parses the directory tree directly by internal references, thus it works.

Of course, if the directory in question contains any other files you want to keep, move these other files to a safe place before removing the directory.

If the offensive file is not sitting in a directory but is at the root of a partition, you're screwed as far as I think. But my trick works 99% of the time.