Programs won't launch on Windows ME!

FantasyAcquiesce

My bought obscure PC software from the mid-late 90's created by a company called "Pro One". So far their Algebra, Geometry, Calculus, and Grammar software works fine on my Windows Millennium installation but their Vocabulary software refuses to work. Oddly when the program first created a shortcut it claimed the program was unavailable. Turned out the program made an error directing itself to the F:/ drive (USB drive) instead of the E:/ drive (CD Rom). Upon fixing that part, the program gives me an overflow error. Got any ideas?

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

12 hours ago, jumper said:

Might be trying to write to a local configuration file. Try installing to a writable drive.

I tried that but no fix unfortunately. I don't know if I can even find support because the software is so ancient.
This is the exact software I'm talking about https://www.amazon.com/Pro-One-Multimedia-Vocabulary/dp/B00066DDIO

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

try installing it in a VM, to see if it just doesn't like  your computer.  Buffer error sounds like it's trying to read your CD rom drive.  You can try using something like VCD virtual Clone drive and make an ISO image of the CD?  Mount the ISO in VCD.  You cannot fully install the program so that it doesn't need the CD?

Edited by Destro

If possible, I also need help figuring out how to modify the registry to install this heart-warming screensaver!

https://www.screensaversplanet.com/screensavers/night-before-christmas-3d-1235/#reviews

Windows ME says the reg file isn't a proper registry file! How can I modify it to work? The main issue is the program thinks anyone using it needs to install flash player 7 regardless if they have it or not. The reg fix listed on the site allows the program to work on windows 8 and 10 (I think it probably works on XP to 7 as well).

Reg fix (Needs to be tweeked to work on 9x!)
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}]
@="Adobe Flash Plug-in"
"IsInstalled"=hex:01,00,00,00
"Version"="7,0,19,0"

What do I need to change? When I open the text file in ME, fonts are missing (I tried changing to multiple fonts)

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

---------------------------------------

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}]
@="Adobe Flash Plug-in"
"IsInstalled"=hex:01,00,00,00
"Version"="7,0,19,0"

---------------------------------------

25 minutes ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

For my Multimedia Vocabulary CD, would it be illegal if I ripped and put a download link? Pro One is COMPLETELY DEAD. No manufacturing and company left.

It *probably* would violate the forum rules, because someone, somewhere could possibly  still own the rights to that particular piece of software one way or another.

Though I am not a moderator or an admin, nor am I a lawyer and they may think otherwise.

Edited by i430VX

1 hour ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

Pro One is COMPLETELY DEAD. No manufacturing and company left.

There is no such thing as "abandonware", from the point-of-view of the US Law, which is the one MSFN abides by. So Rule #1 applies. Simple as that. Please observe that the underlined words in blue are links you're expected to follow and read to fully grasp my point.

That maybe true but in order to sue for copyright infringement and win in the united states you have to be able to prove that you have suffered damages. GL with that.  Thats the reason why it's never enforced for abandon-ware. .   I originally wrote something longer but I deleted realizing that it would be a waste of time.  But to add to that its even harder to sue and win in that scenario if you only link to software hosted on another site.  Basically it's impossible and I am telling you that as a matter of fact.  Rules are Rules tho.

Edited by Destro