Windows 95C on a Dell Latitude D510

jholt5638

[backstory] A customer brought in a Dell Latitude D510 laptop. Apparently their kid was playing and ended up in the BIOS and locked the BIOS and encrypted the HDD. I managed to clear the bios password and replace the HDD.
Called customer to tell them they would need to purchase a copy of windows as the COA was missing from the bottom. They said no and they would be picking up as is. They never did. Fast forward a year later I find it again sitting on a shelf. In case someone thinks I'm stealing it the drop off paperwork I use does say any property left after 30 days from date of finished repair is considered abandoned. [/backstory]

Now on to the main event. The specs are
Intel Celeron-m 1.5GHz
2GB DDR2
60GB ATA/66 HDD
Intel ICH6 chipset
Broadcom 4401/b0 NIC
Intel Pro Wireless 2000BG
AC97 sound SigmaTel 9750
Intel 915GM Graphics

First Phase of Installation had no problems and completed
as expected. On first reboot I interrupted the startup and dropped to DOS and edited System.ini and added MaxPhysPage=20000 and MaxFileCache=16384 saved and continued the install which completed normally. Updated IE to 5.5 and patched with OSR2SP1 and XUSBSUPP.

Now the search for drivers. Thanks to in part to the people here I was able to drivers for almost everything.

Video: I'm using the Scitech Display Doctor 7.0 beta.
Audio: Found on MSFN in Device Manager labeled as Avance AC'97 for Intel Audio Controller
Network:There was no Windows 95 driver for this card but I managed to use the DOS ODI driver works with no problems so far.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no 95 drivers for Firewire, IPW2200, and USB 2.0?

Problems & Quirks:
After installing SDD drivers I can't restart to DOS.

Because I'm using the ODI diver I still have a unknown ethernet in Device Manager.

Even with the XUSBSUPP my USB Drives don't show up. Luckily the BIOS with USB Emulation turned on it shows up as a regular HDD in explorer.

I have to disable secondary IDE channel to get rid of a ! on it and to be able to enable DMA. This disables the CDROM in Windows maybe loading a DOS CDROM driver before Windows starts would give me access but I haven't missed it.

MaxFileCache is too small and will be ignored. If you want to limit it, try 32768.

USB2 requires a messy hybrid configuration mixing some 98 Beta and 98 Software.

A DOS CDROM Driver can be used.

You need the latest XUSBSUPP from Lone Crusader for better USB Support. It includes my USB Mass Storage Driver.

Edited by LoneCrusader
corrected FIX95CPU to XUSBSUPP :)

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2017 at 5:36 AM, jholt5638 said:

[backstory] A customer brought in a Dell Latitude D510 laptop. Apparently their kid was playing and ended up in the BIOS and locked the BIOS and encrypted the HDD. I managed to clear the bios password and replace the HDD.
Called customer to tell them they would need to purchase a copy of windows as the COA was missing from the bottom. They said no and they would be picking up as is. They never did. Fast forward a year later I find it again sitting on a shelf. In case someone thinks I'm stealing it the drop off paperwork I use does say any property left after 30 days from date of finished repair is considered abandoned. [/backstory]

Now on to the main event. The specs are
Intel Celeron-m 1.5GHz
2GB DDR2
60GB ATA/66 HDD
Intel ICH6 chipset
Broadcom 4401/b0 NIC
Intel Pro Wireless 2000BG
AC97 sound SigmaTel 9750
Intel 915GM Graphics

First Phase of Installation had no problems and completed
as expected. On first reboot I interrupted the startup and dropped to DOS and edited System.ini and added MaxPhysPage=20000 and MaxFileCache=16384 saved and continued the install which completed normally. Updated IE to 5.5 and patched with OSR2SP1 and XUSBSUPP.

Now the search for drivers. Thanks to in part to the people here I was able to drivers for almost everything.

Video: I'm using the Scitech Display Doctor 7.0 beta.
Audio: Found on MSFN in Device Manager labeled as Avance AC'97 for Intel Audio Controller
Network:There was no Windows 95 driver for this card but I managed to use the DOS ODI driver works with no problems so far.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no 95 drivers for Firewire, IPW2200, and USB 2.0?

Problems & Quirks:
After installing SDD drivers I can't restart to DOS.

Because I'm using the ODI diver I still have a unknown ethernet in Device Manager.

Even with the XUSBSUPP my USB Drives don't show up. Luckily the BIOS with USB Emulation turned on it shows up as a regular HDD in explorer.

I have to disable secondary IDE channel to get rid of a ! on it and to be able to enable DMA. This disables the CDROM in Windows maybe loading a DOS CDROM driver before Windows starts would give me access but I haven't missed it.

as far as i have experienced, there is no usb 2.0 in windows 95 osr 2.5, meaning, the speeds will be limited to usb 1.1, that being said, you should still get the controller and hub to work, just that it will be limited to usb 1.1 speeds, getting usb to work on 95 osr 2.5 can be tricky sometimes, the bios settings like you mentioned can change the way devices show up or work, interestingly for me, i actually had to do the opposite, set usb emulation to disabled for some usb devices to work on certain laptops, though i don't really remember to be honest how i got them to work on 95 osr 2.5. 

as far as the other things go, i did want to mention that i wasn't gonna necessarily point out which installation order to do things but for the other stuff, can you list the hardware id of the ethernet and firewire, i have gotten firework drivers to install on 95 but i never tested them. i may or may not have had to manually add the hardware id to the inf. also, i was wondering where you got the scitech display doctor 7 beta, i have been using more recently the univbe driver but for some reason on some systems i tested, it gives a windows protection error / fault / divide in zero related error, i am not sure if the scitech did this but i feel like the scitech would be better overall and not have the issues i have experienced. 

yea, i agree with above, you have to disable usb emulation in BIOS on Dell laptops that were designed for XP and Vista if you want 9x to detect devices.  As for  CDROM, set your IDE controller to primary only then run add new hardware non plug and play and it should find the CDROM but DMA won't be available.