Disassembling A Compaq Presario 1065 Laptop

i430VX

This laptop is nice, but a pain in the neck. (Or keeping with the old computer theme, should I say pain in the NEC? :))

The system arrived to me in excellent shape but with a broken CD drive. I have a replacement. This system requires complete disassembly to swap the drives. After getting the laptop open by taking off the TouchPad assembly, then the keyboard, I can access the HDD. I now (I think) need to get the screen off. Does anybody know how to get the screen off, or know where I can find disassembly instructions for this model, or any from the 10xx series as IIRC they are the same chasis.

6 hours ago, i430VX said:

This laptop is nice, but a pain in the neck. (Or keeping with the old computer theme, should I say pain in the NEC? :))

The system arrived to me in excellent shape but with a broken CD drive. I have a replacement. This system requires complete disassembly to swap the drives. After getting the laptop open by taking off the TouchPad assembly, then the keyboard, I can access the HDD. I now (I think) need to get the screen off. Does anybody know how to get the screen off, or know where I can find disassembly instructions for this model, or any from the 10xx series as IIRC they are the same chasis.

Removing the screen is NOT needed for the CD swap.

Anyway the hinges (and screws) are inside plastic caps, see this photo, the right side has the cap off.

0_2951f_8dc7979a_L.jpg

Use this page (spares for this model) to have a visual reference to the parts:

https://store.emprgroup.co.nz/HPc-46816-6-compaq-presario-notebook-pc-1065-us-282730-005.aspx

jaclaz

Well I'll try again, it seems that even with the screws under the caps off (even the hinge screws) nothing (including the screen) wants to lift off.

Although looking at the pictures of the parts might help.

Edited by i430VX
s

Okay, Thank you both. I have successfully replaced the drive. I didn't have to remove the screen, just bend part of the plastic frame a bit past my comfort zone.

:D

Edited by i430VX

10 minutes ago, i430VX said:

Okay, Thank you both. I have successfully replaced the drive. I didn't have to remove the screen, just bend part of the plastic frame a bit past my comfort zone.

:D

As long as it is not past the comfort zone of the plastic part at hand, that is fine ;)

jaclaz